What does it take to convert single to dual headlights?

This section is for talk about anything to do with electrics, audio, lighting, etc.
hengagc75

What does it take to convert single to dual headlights?

Post by hengagc75 »

I am wanting to convert my gc from single to dual headlights and was just looking for any information people might be able to give to me to make the whole process smoother.. Any past experiences or obstacles you may have faced etc. and what exactly the whole conversion consists of, thanks!
LukeAussie

Re: What does it take to convert single to dual headlights?

Post by LukeAussie »

This should be a relatively easy conversion. You'd need to isolate the control (power) wires for the high-beams, and daisy chain these over to the two centre lights (for high-beam only operation), as well as the earth, and would obviously need the lamps, globes, globe connectors, etc. And then you'd need an appropriate grille too, and brackets to mount the lights. And that should be about it... you could always try to hijack parts of a GD too, to make your life easier :)
A112H

Post by A112H »

The headlight buckets in GC/D Galants are welded in, the hardest part of the conversion would finding twin headlight buckets and then they need to be neatly unpicking them and welding the twin buckets in.
I think I would just search the interwebs for a period pair of spot lights and fit those, IMHO.
If you make a bracket and mount to the number plate mount there is no need to cut or weld anything.
hengagc75

Post by hengagc75 »

I know what you mean but i really like the look of the dual headlights on a gc. There's a gd at my wreckers with everything i need, think i will have to get a hacksaw onto those headlights buckets..
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

You'll need to drill out the spot welds on the headlight bucket mounts. Then there's the extraneous wiring.
A112H

Post by A112H »

Hacksaw wont cut it, well it will 'cut it' but not in a reusable way.
As mentioned, you will need to drill out the spots or with a fine disc on a cut off saw you could carefully cut it away from the rad support
hengagc75

Post by hengagc75 »

Guess I'm gonna have to figure out a way to get power tools into the wreckers :\
hengagc75

Post by hengagc75 »

Haha I think I might have to.. Do you know if I will have to use the gd bar aswell for the park lights?
A112H

Post by A112H »

Depends what lights you run or the look you want.
If you convert the lights to new ones taking H1 globes most come with a hole and plug for a parker.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/CRYSTAL-VISI ... c10&_uhb=1

Or you can run the JDM front apron like mine with the lights in it.
A112H

Post by A112H »

**H4 Globes**

Where has the edit button gone??
Another improvement I guess, LMFAO
hengagc75

Post by hengagc75 »

I like the jdm look, are those lights from the new colts?
LukeAussie

Post by LukeAussie »

With the parkers, you have a couple of options including keeping the standard GC ones (having a combination of the GC and GD look), or completely changing to GD ones (I have a GD bumper with the parkers down there, but normal GC single headlamps).
Good luck with it all!