hypothetical: starion contender for the ft86/BRZ

This section is for 1982 to 1989 Mitsubishi/Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth Starion/Conquest.
brendon

hypothetical: starion contender for the ft86/BRZ

Post by brendon »

What are people thought on Mitsubishi building a rwd coupe to compete with the new Toyota and Subaru product. There seems to be a lot of hype about on these. and an increased interest in rwd 2 doors particularly if you throw the Hyundai genesis in the mix too

Seem its would be a good chance for Mitsubishi to revive the starion name?

I think the chances are slim with Mitsubishi seeming to focus more on 'enviro-friendly :\ ' cars now, but it would be great to see something similar with a North-South 4B11T
83' GJ wagon
82' GK Scorp (Track car)
08' Turbo territory
75wagon
Admin

Re: hypothetical: starion contender for the ft86/BRZ

Post by 75wagon »

brendon wrote:I think the chances are slim with Mitsubishi seeming to focus more on 'enviro-friendly ' cars now
And bloody SUV's

I hate them with a passion.
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
webby

Post by webby »

Would be cool, but I don't see it happening.
It'd be dog-ugly anyway, you just have to look at any and all of Mitsubishi's current lineup to see that lol :P
-Josh.
Daily: 7/96 EF Falcon, 4.0 SOHC, BTR95LE, 3.45:1 LSD/Lukey extractors, full 2.5” exhaust, EL intake, Tickford snorkel, 87DA cam, AU injectors, shiftkits.com.au single stage kit. PB 14.93@91mph.
Project: Red '81 Scorpion-http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=11889
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

Even if they did build a rwd sports coupe we'd never see it in Australia if history is any indicator. What does Mitsu have on the table in regards to a sports coupe anyway? The Eclipse? It doesn't even look like one of their products and it won't make the rear driver crowd thrilled either :(
A112H

Post by A112H »

Don't be so negative geezer, of course we would get it here. Only it would be the non turbo, non power steering, non air conditioned version. It would have a solid axle, rear drum brakes and only with 15" steel wheels and hubcaps.
But seriously, don't forget that the Hyundai Genisis Coupe uses Mitsubishi running gear, I am sure Mitsu could buy the platform from Hyundai as a base.
RaptorReed

Post by RaptorReed »

Actually Mitsubishi doesn't have the Eclipse anymore. Like the Galant Line, They ended the Eclipse line too, but the newer eclipses are meh, the 90-99 were the ones anyone even cared about over here (being where the Eclipse was only built for) with them being in options as FWD NA, FWD Turbo and AWD turbo.
Tim
94 Montero SR
79 GE Sigma Wagon
76 Galant Coupe
92 Galant VR4
88 Fiji Blue Starion
ddt

Post by ddt »

The FT86 follows on the RWD cred of the AE86 (and also the Supra) and at 30K it is already a cheap car.
To be competitive, Mitsubishi would need to be come up with something as good and yet be cheaper as Mitsubishi's RWD cred is not as good as Toyota's.

However, lately Kia and Hyundai are are kind of on fire, if they co-developed a RWD coupe with Mitsubishi it could well be awesome. Definitely they'd be able to design something sexier looking than the FT-86 and with some Mitsubishi EVO magic under the body..
A co-development would benefit both manufacturers.
'Member's Rides' Link for LIL RED WGN: http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=4742
A112H

Post by A112H »

The Hyundai Genesis coupe runs a 4G63T DOHC and has been on the market for 4 years, we will just never see it here as they have released the stupid 3 door thing, shitty FWD non turbo Veloster. I guess it is 4 door really as it has 3 actual doors and a hatch.
Anyway, the Genesis also runs a 3.8 V6 which one would presume is a 6G75 but it is all alloy and DOHC.
The sedan has an Tau V8 option, which is a totally Hyundai designed and built producing 320kw and 510nm pussing the sedan to a 5.5sec 100k time. Imagine that in the lighter coupe. :think: That could give some V8 Astons a run aswell as some other very expensive V8's.
Back to the Mitsu coupe;
I would love to see Mitsubishi take this by the horns and run with it but sadly, as ddt said, Mitsubishi don't have the same RWD heritige as Toyota (AE86, Supra) or Nissan (Early Skyline Prince, 240k, 1600, 180sx, 200sx, VL) and really made their performance name with AWD. Is the Genesis able to be adapted from RWD to AWD, NFI but if Mitsubishi did have a proven base chassis they could get their hands on it would definately be the Hyundai.
I for one would be top of the list for a AWD Genesis style Mitsubishi, but would prefer a RWD one :P Hell I would even settle for Hyundai bringing the Genesis coupe here.
My 2c for a cold bloody Sunday morning :thumpsup: