4G54 swap into Starion

This section is for 1982 to 1989 Mitsubishi/Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth Starion/Conquest.
SIGSTAR86

4G54 swap into Starion

Post by SIGSTAR86 »

How many people out there have done the swap?

I'm doing the swap very soon. Have everything ready to start the build, minus the engine. Have had to pay another guy for second hand motor. Haven't decided on what pistons to run yet, will be running 18psi tune and 30psi tune with GT3582r on E85 only. Have yet to decide on engine management also. Using Magna M7 headache and EFI set up with custom fuel rail and bosch 850cc inj.

How many have done the swap or have any info on people who have?
astronturbo77
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Re: 4G54 swap into Starion

Post by astronturbo77 »

Pretty much bolt in.. All us staz's were astrons from factory. Best bet is to sign up to austarion.com good bunch of guys and very good info
BUILT NOT BROUGHT BY ALGIE.
SIGSTAR86

Post by SIGSTAR86 »

Yeah Astronturbo77 they do come stock with both engines indeed. I'm more curious as to who has swapped out the 4G63sohc in favour of the sigma engine swap. I'll be using the standard Starion box from the Australian delivered 4G63. Plenty of wide body imports floating about in aust, though it seems not a lot of 4G54 swapped Starions if any. My aim is 500rwhp+ dedicated to E85 cam approved track car.
FunkyP

Post by FunkyP »

Unless your runnin more than 4, 850's wont support your goal, especially on Corn.

As far as EMS, use whatever the tuner is experienced with.
G54B/R154/MSX/SC60/11.2@120mph
SIGSTAR86

Post by SIGSTAR86 »

Hey Phil. Heard about your beast over there, do you have a write up on it? Ah I was hoping they were big enough. What's the size you think I would be looking at? I'll be running max 30psi through a GT3582. Most likely have my high setting at 28psi for the track. Waiting on my turbo manifold from Ronnie, still humming and harring about getting him to make me the intake manifold too. I'm going to have to research who I want to do my tuning yet. I'm not wanting to go motec, was thinking Autronic, but not many people here in WA want to know about them. Haltech would be easy to find someone. I'll be doing most of the work myself, other than machining and pipe work for the cooler.
FunkyP

Post by FunkyP »

If I was goin E85 I wouldnt go less than 1600's. -8 feed and a big pump.

I run unleaded 91oct with meth injection. Im getting high in DC on my 1200's at 500whp. Gonna up my feed line to -8.

heres my build thread
http://www.sqperformance.com/forum/index.php?topic=4.0

you should register there. Ronnie is a member there.
Superscan811

Post by Superscan811 »

SIGSTAR86 wrote:Using Magna M7 headache and EFI set up with custom fuel rail and bosch 850cc inj.
FunkyP wrote:Unless your runnin more than 4, 850's wont support your goal, especially on Corn.
As FunkyP said, If you are using 4 * 850cc injectors you should be fine, ie: a modified Magna manifold.
If you are using the standard Starion Throtle Body Injection (which only has 2 injectors), you will need 2 * 1600cc to 1700cc injectors.

Just thought I should clarify that point..

Also, running large injectors, you should look at LOW IMPEDANCE injectors, if possible. They open and close quicker than HIGH IMPEDANCE injectors, so at low boost/rpm, LOW IMPEDANCE injectors tend to give you better fuel metering.

The only issue is you need a special driver circuit to PROPERLY run LOW IMPEDANCE injectors, but most modern aftermarket ECU's can cater for either type.

As usual, $ and time will best determine your choice.

Hope this helps.

Cheers.
SIGSTAR86

Post by SIGSTAR86 »

SIGSTAR86 wrote:
Using Magna M7 headache and EFI set up with custom fuel rail and bosch 850cc inj.

FunkyP wrote:
Unless your runnin more than 4, 850's wont support your goal, especially on Corn.
Yeah Phil I'll be using a magna manifold, and nothing over 30psi, so thought the 850's would be all good. Thanks Scan :)

You have any idea what sort of injectors to run? Will aftermarket EVO injectors work? Yeah should be right with the ecu running the injectors :)

Think the starion box will be up to the power? It won't be driven all the time but when it is, hard. Odd drag meet but mostly track days. Was hoping to fit my VY TruTrak centre and axles too. When the box goes bang, fit the T-56 as they bullet proof up to 600rwhp usually.

Cheers.
FunkyP

Post by FunkyP »

KM132 isnt worth its weight.
If you are running 850's, you WILL run out of injector on E85.
You need "Bosch Style" injectors. Injectors have come a long way, and when your talkin about moving alot of fuel high impedence is the way to go. I suggest Injector Dynamics.

With 400whp I could strip the teeth off of 2nd and 3rd at will.
FunkyP

Post by FunkyP »

Why do yall call it the M7 "headache" ???
SIGSTAR86

Post by SIGSTAR86 »

G'day Superscan, yes I am completely confused as to what injectors to use, I was thinking Bosch 850's with the same impedance as the factory injectors. Though I will have to speak with someone over the phone so I can get some reassurance. I think I'm going to go with a MegaSquirt II and wideband. If I can get my 500rwhp without going E85, then I'll use the pump fuel with the highest octane, most likely BP Ultimate. The magna intake should be fine for the job, though I was hoping to get a 75 - 80mm TB on there also. Yet to decide cooler, but I hear the GTR 32 coolers flow very well, though I will be running up to 30psi at times.

Hey Phil, haha I meant 'magna head' not headache haha auto correct typo. The Magna head flows pretty good, once it's ported it will be more than sufficient for what I want. I'll just be going bigger with my valves.

KM132 isnt worth its weight. **Phil I had wind of many blokes swapping to an RX-7 series 5 turbo 5spd with a modified bell housing, as they support great hp. I still like the idea oft the T-56 or M6 as it's known as from Chevy.
If you are running 850's, you WILL run out of injector on E85. ** I will look into the fuel once I am at that stage! though if I can make close to my 500rwhp goal without E85, I will, possibly think about methanol injection.
You need "Bosch Style" injectors. Injectors have come a long way, and when your talkin about moving alot of fuel high impedence is the way to go. I suggest Injector Dynamics. Ok I'll look into the injector situation mate.

I'm hoping to get a hold of a 3 piece spoiler too.
FunkyP

Post by FunkyP »

JBSTAZ

Post by JBSTAZ »

The factory box will not stand that power level.
I had a cyroed box and did not dump clutch at 4k+ revs with 300+ hp atw Now have an RX7 turbo box 4 2+ years and holding up well behind a TC 2.3 stroker

BTW I have a set of SARD 800cc inj's all cleaned and tested if you are interested ??