Wide or Narrow (Motor or gearbox)?

All Technical Tips an Tricks' will be located HERE merged from all the forums above.
75wagon
Admin

Wide or Narrow (Motor or gearbox)?

Post by 75wagon »

This question comes up often so here's how to tell.

All Saturn 4G30 (1300), 4G33 (1400), 4G31 (1500), 4G32 (1600), 4G35 (1750) motors are narrow block.
All Astron 4G50 (1850), 4G52 (2000) motors are narrow block
Astron 1 and 2 4G54 (2600) are both wide and narrow block. Out of the Mitsubishi factory auto is narrow, manual is wide.
Sirius 4G63 (2000) are both wide and narrow. Out of the Mitsubishi factory front drive is narrow (includes Evos), rear drive is wide.

Don't assume that your motor is wide or narrow if it is a motor that comes in both wide and narrow. Someone may have already modified it (eg converted a 2.6 auto sigma to manual, by fitting a narrow block/bell housing 5 speed).

Here are the measurements to be sure.
Wide block/bell housing is 330mm between centres
Narrow block/bell housing is 310 between centres

Just measure the distance between the centres of the 2 holes as shown in the pic below. They are the lowest bolt hole on the block, so if measuring a motor, measure there.

This info is useful for gearbox conversions (eg, putting a wideblock 2.6 and 5 speed into a Galant or Lancer shell that had a 1.4 or 1.6 with a 4 speed).
Gearstick positions
2.6 5 speed wide bell housing long extension 735mm from bell housing to stick base centre
2.0 or 1.6 5 speed narrow bell housing short extension 660mm from bell housing to stick base centre
2.0 or 1.6 4 speed narrow bell housing 620mm from bell housing to stick base centre

I'm also told some 2.6 5 speeds from Scorpions come in a wide bell housing with a short extension (so the measurement on that box would be 660mm I assume, I don't have one to measure).

Other threads that may be of interest or help
Bolt in RWD Engine Upgrades
Identifying: "Jap" or borg Warner box & Wide Vs. Narrow
Jap 5sp conversion info, Galant and Lancer

If anyone has more info they would like to add, feel free.
Also remember this thread if someone asks if if they have a wide or narrow block. It will save a lot of time and effort.

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
Superscan811

Re: Wide or Narrow (Motor or gearbox)?

Post by Superscan811 »

75wagon wrote:I'm also told some 2.6 5 speeds from Scorpions come in a wide bell housing with a short extension (so the measurement on that box would be 660mm I assume, I don't have one to measure).
It's true, I have one out of a GH Scorpion in my garage (wide block, short extension housing).
Both GE and GH Scorpion 2.6L 5 Speed boxes are wide with short extensions.

All Starion 5 speed boxes are wide with long extension housings.

BTW:
The KM132 Jap 5 speed gearboxes, found in
Scorpions,
Sigmas,
Tritons
(2-Wheel Drive with a 4g54 engine),
Starions and even
Pajeros(2-Wheel Drive with a 4g54 engine),
the extension housings can be swapped to suit either long or short .

Cheers.