Converting Cable Clutch to Hydraulic Clutch

All Technical Tips an Tricks' will be located HERE merged from all the forums above.
EVL076
S-G Veteran

Converting Cable Clutch to Hydraulic Clutch

Post by EVL076 »

righto, im gonna bring a few things over from the old site, that i think might be useful to some of us here.....
superscan811 wrote:
I just completed the conversion in my GJ Scorp because the input shaft bearing collapsed on my 5speed... It was a very easy conversion (with a bit of preparation).

Parts used.
Reconditioned Starion box.
New Clutch slave and master cylinders.
2 screw connect banjo bolts
2 meters of braided hose (plenty left over).
Starion Clutch pedal and box.
2" piece of angle (for bracing)

I bought a rusted out Starion for $250- (Yes Cheater, off EBAY). Grabbed the clutch pedal setup ( 4 bolts and it falls out) and the gearbox, along with several other parts.
I already had a reconditioned Starion box but it will be good to have a spare.

I had also bought a new 5/8" Clutch master cylinder and slave cylinder from the US for about $150- delivered. Apart from that, $70- for some braided hose and 2 screw connect banjo bolts.

The easiest and quickest way to do the job is to remove the steering column.
5 bolts and about 4 electrical plugs and the steering column comes out.

In my GJ Scorp, the bolt holes and centre hole were already marked in the firewall. I just pulled back the carpet and they were staring straight back at me.
If they aren't marked, just get the pedal height and separation right from the existing clutch pedal then mark the firewall.
I removed the old clutch pedal, drilled and filed the holes, bolted the Master Cylinder in and put a 2" angle brace between the old clutch pedal bracket and the new starion one to make it more sturdy because there was no mounting point for the top 2 bolt holes in the starion clutch pedal box.

After that it was just a matter of dropping the old box out and putting in the reconditioned starion one.

Bleading the clutch with only 1 person is easy with the starion clutch pedal because it has a spring to push and hold down the pedal.

I have a 20% heavier clutch than standard but because of the hydraulic setup, it feels VERY light.

By my self, with only basic tools (ie: 1 set of sockets, spanners, screwdrivers, a drill, a round file and a trolly jack) I was able to do the conversion and replace the gearbox in about 1 day. BTW, I am not a mechanic, I fix computers for a living.

All in all, I can recomend doing this conversion even if you are a novice.
No welding, no pipe flaring, only basic tools required and a bit of preparation (in my case, buying all the right parts).

Cheers.
Image Image
EVL076
S-G Veteran

Re: Converting Cable Clutch to Hydraulic Clutch

Post by EVL076 »

for the rest of the thread, it contains some other relevant info:

>>> CLICK HERE<<<
Image Image