TR standard loom modification

All Technical Tips an Tricks' will be located HERE merged from all the forums above.
Rally_2.6LC
Location: Either under a car, on the computer or in bed...around Ryde

TR standard loom modification

Post by Rally_2.6LC »

Hey guys thought i would put this together to give a guide to people about using the stock magna wireing loom to convert their projects to EFI. Was told it was all from TR (injection and wiring)

This is currently in my LC Lancer and was in a GK wagon before.

This is just a guide from when i pulled my efi engine out of a Sigma I bought and I noted what wires had been changed where I could. Im unsure of the wires around the coil as mine look modified, but if you leave this stock Ide assume it would just pulg in and work *fingers crossed*

Wires/plugs that I found were needed are:
-3 yellow plugs going to ECU
- smaller of the 2 white plugs which goes to the fuel relay (its a relay near the ecu)
- 4 injector plugs
- throttle position sensor plug
- vacuum sensor plug? (goes on the front of the throttle body)
- dizzy plug
- air flow meter plug
- oxygen sensor in exhaust (that is fun to make fit if your exhaust doesnt have a spot for it)
- 2 coil plugs
all others were either disconnected (i think there is a knock sensor somewhere, and an pollution control one that connects into the carbon canister....that one went pretty quickly when I figured the car would still run without it).

The only wires that need cutting/changing I found were at the ECU plugs.

There is 3 yellow plugs and 2 white plugs. The longer of the 2 white plugs was discarded in my setup.
3 yellow plugs will be known as Big Yellow Plug (BYP) Middle Yellow Plug (MYP) and Small Yellow Plug (SYP) as this is the size where they connect to the ECU. The white plug remaing will be known as WP, this hooks into a relay which I think is the fuel pump relay (was told).

When describing wires first colour is main colour of wire, second colour (if applicable) is the colour of the stripe on the wire.
WP - bigger black/blue wire to power
- smaller blue/black wire to power (mine is through a switch)
- white/black to power

SYP - black/blue wire to power
- red/yellow wire to power
- black/yellow wire to earth

BYP - white wire on bottom row can be used as extra power to run something when on ignition if you want.
- There will be 3 thick brown wires going to plug. Dont cut them but peal back the brown casing to find multiple wires inside and silver shielding wire wrapped around all of these. Connect silver shielding wire to earth.

Thin black/blue wire from WP joined to black/blue from BYP. BYP black/blue wire can continue on into rest of loom. Black/blue wire from WP i have going to positive of fuel pump.

The only other problem I had when hooking up my system is that in my Lancer when you turn the key to start power only goes to the starter motor and stops everything else. This is a problem because the fuel pump stops for a second (shouldnt be a problem though as there is enough fuel i the rail to keep car running for a 5 seconds) but it was also turning off my ECU so injectors weren't plusing. I ran a twin relay setup one relay getting power only from starter (relay 1) and one getting power only from ignition when the key was on reds (relay 2). When the key was turned to start relay 1 pulled in giving power to relay 2 which kept power to the ECU. I couldnt run power from the starter and ignition to the one relay as I tried this and as soon as you turn the key to reds (not all the way to start) the car pumps power to the relay and subsequently to the starter as well.

I hope this answers some peoples questions about what wires they need and which ones they dont. If you have done something differently or want to add something to here please do....im not saying this is the be all and end all of wireing.

Cheers Matt
'75 GC daily (slowly dying)
'80 LC 2.6L rally car (generally something broken until 2 weeks before an event)
'71 GA 2.6 Turbo project (i only wanted the diff and got another project)
^This side up^

Formely "Matt"
dvsfin

Re: TR standard loom modification

Post by dvsfin »

beautiful work man...this should really help some ppl with their projects :) cheers
Rally_2.6LC
Location: Either under a car, on the computer or in bed...around Ryde

Post by Rally_2.6LC »

Meant to say that all wires that need to go to power should do so through your key and only come on when the car is on "reds" or ignition (2nd click of the key), hopefully your car has some wires that have power going to them whilst on ignition and on start otherwise you will have the same problem as me....if this is the case for a few people ill draw up a wireing diagram of how I hooked up my twin relay system.
The ignition wires you will have to find on your own car as they are all different. Workshop manuals should help you, or a multimeter and just start jabbing wires ;p

Cheers Matt
'75 GC daily (slowly dying)
'80 LC 2.6L rally car (generally something broken until 2 weeks before an event)
'71 GA 2.6 Turbo project (i only wanted the diff and got another project)
^This side up^

Formely "Matt"
Sigmaproject

Post by Sigmaproject »

Thank you for the writeup. Very helpful.

Also making this comment get me off 666 comments :z