How to polish mag wheels

All Technical Tips an Tricks' will be located HERE merged from all the forums above.
75wagon
Admin

How to polish mag wheels

Post by 75wagon »

This is how I polish mag wheels, or any alloy...
The mag wheel before I started.....

The tools needed for the job

Rub with wet & dry to remove pitting. File off Gutter rash (easier when tyre and wheel weights are not fitted).

After cutting compound and sisal wheel (the small grey wheel and grey polish stick)

After polishing with polishing compund and cloth wheel (large wheel and with polish stick)

Wheel fitted to my car

Obviously I haven't spent much time on prepping the wheel. The better the wheel the better the result. If more time was spent removing marks and scratches from the wheels then the result would be a lot better. But I did this to prove a point. Wheels/ alloy can be polished in your garage at home. If they are knocked about, that is when you may need a professional or just not bother. These rims, when and if I use them will have the tyres and wheel weights removed. I would then remove all signs of gutter rash, and fully paint the centre, leaving only the polished outer.

To anyone who is going to attempt this, the more prep you put in the better the result.

These rims were in average condition for age, and very little prep put in.

Here's the difference
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
karl_2ltgc

Re: How to polish mag wheels

Post by karl_2ltgc »

I did it to sigma turbo wheels years ago for my galant...all by hand started with rough sandpaper (like 80 grit) slowly worked all the way to 1200, then used polish and a rag.

I had to start wearing gloves after the first wheel because my fingers were actually bleeding through the skin. :lol:
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

That wheel took me about half an hour.

To be honest, I probably should have spent double that. Nut I think the results speak for themselves. I only used 320 grit wet & dry. Put bugger all prep in. It works and it does a good job. The polishing kits are available at real tool stores and auto paint outlets. The cost about $40 i think from memory.
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
77galantv6

Post by 77galantv6 »

the old datto rims haha.

nice work dave....

paint the centres white and they would look mint
'77 Galant V6....

1977 Galant with Commodore V6 conversion.

karl_2ltgc

Post by karl_2ltgc »

My opinion is do it properly and then clear coat them when your done...otherwise every time the wheel gets wet it will lose its shine. Will save lots of time and they will look good for years.
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

This polish is like a waxy type of stuff. They last for ages after you do it. I redo mine every 6 months, and it only takes about 5 minutes a wheel.
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

Here is the link for the kit.
http://www.josco.com.au/newsite/jia/pro ... ing_pk.htm

I've bought an extra arbor and a larger cloth wheel.
13bsigma

Post by 13bsigma »

would you do mine turbo rims for $100? lol. seriously. :) i'v attempted a bit of one. but am clearly not getting around to finnishing them lol.
1978 GE sigma 57,000kms the toy called silvia. comming to the Gold Coast soon.
1978 GE sigma 87,000kms spare parts for the toy
1996 suzuki baleno turbo. $32,000 invested in it. $22,000 in the engine. $10,000 in sound
1996 suzuki baleno GTX. getting shaved and resprayed soon and receiving turbo engine
1980 GH sigma AKA JET.51G 18 PSI of T04 injected power.
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

Got a photo of them?
13bsigma

Post by 13bsigma »

i can do. they at home. i get a photo in a day or so when i go back there :)
1978 GE sigma 57,000kms the toy called silvia. comming to the Gold Coast soon.
1978 GE sigma 87,000kms spare parts for the toy
1996 suzuki baleno turbo. $32,000 invested in it. $22,000 in the engine. $10,000 in sound
1996 suzuki baleno GTX. getting shaved and resprayed soon and receiving turbo engine
1980 GH sigma AKA JET.51G 18 PSI of T04 injected power.
amgis_obrut

Post by amgis_obrut »

i buffed all the shine off my turbo wheels with a scotchbrite and gumption, look sooooooooo much better than shiny
GH Sigma, 16" Mesh wheels, sports steering wheel and a V8 exhaust
mooey1232003

Post by mooey1232003 »

75wagon do you have anymore pics of your car with the same wheels that are in your post?
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

mooey1232003 wrote:75wagon do you have anymore pics of your car with the same wheels that are in your post?
These ones? No, but what are you after? You might just inspire me to take some. I've only got one of them polished so far. They are Globe 'Bathurst Mk1's' (MK'2's have wheel centre caps that cover the nuts). Gaphil is coming over 2moro, I want to take some pics of his car with them on.

Dave...
mooey1232003

Post by mooey1232003 »

75wagon wrote:
mooey1232003 wrote:75wagon do you have anymore pics of your car with the same wheels that are in your post?
These ones? No, but what are you after? You might just inspire me to take some. I've only got one of them polished so far. They are Globe 'Bathurst Mk1's' (MK'2's have wheel centre caps that cover the nuts). Gaphil is coming over 2moro, I want to take some pics of his car with them on.

Dave...
O ok thanks. was just wondering because i saw an ad for wheels like these and wanted to know how it looks on a old skool car before i make a trip to go see them.
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

How's this?
mooey1232003

Post by mooey1232003 »

Thanks... Looks good :D
DanTurboLancer

Post by DanTurboLancer »

Found this new Polishing tool for wheels and the hard to get into spots, thought it might be handy :)

Its a Mothers Product called a Power Cone.
Its been advertised in all the latest Car mags.
Looks great for getting into hard to reach spots...

shuggy

Post by shuggy »

karl_2ltgc wrote:I did it to sigma turbo wheels years ago for my galant...all by hand started with rough sandpaper (like 80 grit) slowly worked all the way to 1200, then used polish and a rag.

I had to start wearing gloves after the first wheel because my fingers were actually bleeding through the skin. :lol:

i experienced this yesterday.. spend 2.5 hours sanding one wherrit from 120 grit wet n dry, through 240, 400, 600 and finally 1200
this was after sandblasting them all on a low pressure like 100psi
and just then i spent an hour n a half repainting the red and cleaning it up with petrol
a hell of a job but well worth it in the end - i think anyways.

heres the progress / final product - still have to polish them but i have to wait for the paint to dry first..

before

after sandblasting (i got the paint off with stripper later)

after sanding for hours and repainting

cheers
shuggy

Post by shuggy »

here is final product of 1(ONE) mag PWS Globe Montego haha

cheers
mrd
God Admin

Post by mrd »

Awesome thread, I think I'll move this one into the interior/exterior tutorials section.
dvsfin

Post by dvsfin »

where would i get one of those powercone things...i went loking for it today...but nobody knew what i was talking about :P
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

Going by the pic, Autoone, AutObarn or Autopro...

DanTurboLancer told me the add was in StreetMachine I think?
colta51

Post by colta51 »

that wheel looks sweet :P
My car: Colt/Galant AI standed. going AII GS speks!
GC75
Admin

Post by GC75 »

they look mad andrew :| ... :thumpsup:
Previous owner of a GC Coupe, a few GSRS and random Sigmas.
Converted to the Ultimate Driving Machines
shuggy

Post by shuggy »

yeh, the second one i didnt spend quite as much time on, then i just wanted to see what they looked like on my car, and havnt taken them off since haah`
kenvv

Post by kenvv »

damn those sigma turbo rims look sweet. if i can ever be bothered i will revert back to this thread and clean my set up. cant beleive how many times in the last 3 months ive seen sigma turbo rims for sale.
vrooooom vrooooom!!
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

kenvv wrote:damn those sigma turbo rims look sweet. if i can ever be bothered i will revert back to this thread and clean my set up. cant beleive how many times in the last 3 months ive seen sigma turbo rims for sale.
Yep, they look good polished up.
Here is a set I did a couple of weeks back.

Dave...
kenvv

Post by kenvv »

yeah i was looking at mine today when went to the mechanic to see the car. if i get bored enough i will give it a go. otherwise i will just pay someone to do it as im lazy
vrooooom vrooooom!!
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

kenvv wrote:if i get bored enough i will give it a go. otherwise i will just pay someone to do it as im lazy
Be prepared to put at least 20 hours of time into them (including painting).
So either you'll be really bored or really broke :lol:

Dave...
ddt

Post by ddt »

the turbo rims and pepperpots have fine grooves on the surface- are these completely polished out to get them that shiny?
Also what kind of clear-coat or wax have people tried on their rims?

I have a set of turbo rims that were quite corroded and are taking a lot of time even with 180 grit wet/dry to clean up- the corrosion in the fine grooves takes a lot of time to get out -esp in the spoked sections.
'Member's Rides' Link for LIL RED WGN: http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=4742