solex throttle plate size

Ask other members technical questions here, if your after a certain answer/result have our members help you.
kidde16

solex throttle plate size

Post by kidde16 »

can anyone tell me the size of the primary throttle plate for this solex caburetor i know that there lots of solex carburetor models that came out what i want to know is for this type of solex

http://www.google.com.ph/imgres?um=1&hl ... 2,s:0,i:72

cause recently ive got a primary venturi from that type of solex and it differs from my solex which has a manual choke,,, the venturi that i got has a number engrave on top of it and it is 90.. the number on the top of my own solex is 60 what does it mean are the numbers relevant to the carburetors performance?
BlueThunder

Re: solex throttle plate size

Post by BlueThunder »

Hi!

It looks like a DIDTA carb. meaning it has an automatic choke. About the sizes of the chokes you may find more info here: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/90172943/Carbu ... 0facts.pdf

Cheerz
Sven
kidde16

Post by kidde16 »

thank you for your post sir but in you given link theres nothing about what im asking... what im asking is the number of the throttle plate of the primary of a automatic choke type of solex compare to the throttle plate of a manual choke solex.. because i will put a primary venturi from that automatic choke carb in my manual choke carb..
BlueThunder

Post by BlueThunder »

Pitty, I can't really help you with that i'm afraid, I just have that book and the carbs i have have manual chokes... Sorry
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

This just looks like an ordinary Saturn carb to me (as fitted to a GB or GC Galant).
kidde16 wrote:the venturi that i got has a number engrave on top of it and it is 90.. the number on the top of my own solex is 60 what does it mean
Have you got a pic so I can see exactly where it's engraved?
kidde16 wrote:what im asking is the number of the throttle plate of the primary of a automatic choke type of solex compare to the throttle plate of a manual choke solex..
They are exactly the same in my experience. The automatic choke is a bolt on/ bolt off accessory to the top plate.
kidde16 wrote:are the numbers relevant to the carburetors performance?
Performance differences will be in the jet sizing and sizing of the actual throats.
This chart tells you what jetting that they came with.
thsi topic may be of interest to you also.
http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=2655
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
davetrees

Post by davetrees »

kidde16 wrote:thank you for your post sir but in you given link theres nothing about what im asking... what im asking is the number of the throttle plate of the primary of a automatic choke type of solex compare to the throttle plate of a manual choke solex.. because i will put a primary venturi from that automatic choke carb in my manual choke carb..
I think you are confusing VENTURI with JET ?

The venturis aren't interchangeble I don't think. Jets screw out and can be changed. The jet size is engraved on the top .... "90" usually means 0.9mm diameter. These are the jets from a Solex/Mikuni PHH-type carb, but the jets look the same :

Will also depend whether you mean the "Main Jet" (ie. the fuel jet) or the "Main Air Jet" (the air corrector jet, in Weber-talk). You need to refer to the parts diagram to confirm.

In any case, the throttle plates will be the same - for a 28/32 carb they are 28mm (primary) and 32mm (secondary). They probably have the diameter stamped on the plate.
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

There appears to be some confusion at to what part is being reffered to. The main jets are located in the bottom of the fuel bowl, the atomisers found in the centre of the throats are referred to as 'inner venturis'. The throttle plate is the bottom section of the carby where the primary and secondary throttle 'butterflies' are housed. I'm going to take a stab at the model type as being a '28-32 DID TA' (as Dave has indicated) and the numbers stamped on the primary and secondary butterflies being '80' and '150'. My guess is the automatic choked carby you wish to use the primary 'jet' from was increased in size to improve low down torque and response over the earlier manual choked type carby. Only one way to know what difference there really is - is to test it out by installing it.
kidde16

Post by kidde16 »

gentle men.. i know what a venturi and carb jetting looks like heres some picture of what i am asking
am i right in saying that these aren't carb jettings?

these are three images

1st image the two venturis on the right was from a solex with automatic choke and one on the left was from my manual choke solex.. pretty much the same right? so if i accidentally put a venturi from the secondary to the primary, it will literally fit perfectly as i tried before

now question, can my carb work properly if that happens

2nd image here's the engraved number that ive mentioned from my past post it said 120 does it mean that it is its size?

Now the 3rd image..it said on the engraving 90.. and it came from an automatic choke solex im planning to put it on a manual choked solex which has a primary venturi that has a number 60 on the top of it. again is it its sizing? will it work if i put it in my manual choked solex?

i do apologize sir, im still a beginner in carb setting up so ill be having lots of questions.. i couldnt really rely on the information coming from the blokes here in my place that said that those numberings are its size and if i were going to increase the size number of the venture i need to increase the size of that throttle plate of the primary barrel which i think is impossible, thats why i post here so that you guys can give a proffesional answer.. im staggered of what you people can do compare here,,, even turbocharging a carby is still a mystery here in my place ive never seen an international set up here.. :)
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

That's all good kidde16, no such thing as a dumb question when in search of knowledge. No, the numbers stamped on the heads of the inner venturis are not fuel jetting sizes but relate to the volume of air flow it will handle (as far as I can guess). The wall of inner venturi stamped '90' (the hollow cylinder part of the venturi body) should appear to be thicker than the one stamped '120'. The primary and secondary inner venturis should not be interchanged with each other as this will adversely affect the way the engine runs. My bet is the '120' venturis will be an improvement performance wise. I would try using the primary fuel jet from the auto choked carby as well to avoid running the engine lean. Good luck! :thumpsup:
kidde16

Post by kidde16 »

yes sir i understand that a venturi is about the airflow and something... yes sir i also have the primary main jet of the auto choke carb. so the throttle plate has no concern what so ever about the 90 primary venturi even if i put it on my manual choke carb it'll work perfectly?
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

I can't guarantee that kidde16, but as long as the inner venturi is seating correctly inside the throat and doesn't leak air or fuel before doing it's job I can't see why it shouldn't work. I have made modifications to newer model Mikuni solex carbies but haven't swapped inner venturis or jets during my builds. As I posted earlier, try it and test the results. Swapping the inner venturi over is a simple job and will not require removing the carby after it is bolted onto the manifold - so if it doesn't work, all you will need to do is remove the fuel bowl top cover and replace the upgraded parts. Let us know of the results :)
kidde16

Post by kidde16 »

yes sir ill try it.. thank you very much..