solex downdraft masters please respond

Ask other members technical questions here, if your after a certain answer/result have our members help you.
kidde16

solex downdraft masters please respond

Post by kidde16 »

good day sir im charles from the philippines i have a solex carb that looks like this

it was old and spend a long time in my treasure chest and now i was cleaning it i opened it there was a white compound the was building up in the gas bowl sad to say i forgot to take a picture..so some parts of the carb was filled by that white compound so i assume that parts maybe stuck-up
here's a picture of what im pertaining to .the one which is encircled,, this portion is where the accelerator pump is bolted im sure you know that there is a small metal ball inside it and gasoline can flow freely from the gas bowl up to this hole my question is this what can i use to make it unstuck
75wagon
Admin

Re: solex downdraft masters please respond

Post by 75wagon »

kidde16 wrote:question is this what can i use to make it unstuck
I'm not sure I understand the question. Make what unstuck?

I have gone out to my garage, and found a carb body in my spares, and it has the hole above the one you have circled as the one that is blocked.

I don't know if this topic is of any use to you?
http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=2655

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

This might be a tricky one Dave as the carby in question doesn't have an external fuel line to supply the enrichment pump. First thing (and a relatively obvious one) the white compound is the die cast alloy oxidising - it's going to need a good soaking in a carby cleaning solution and blasting out with compressed air. If that port is still caked up after cleaning as mentioned, it may require some mechanical cleaning to clear it. However, I think the 'ball' you are indicating is a pressed in brass plug designed to seal off a gallery. The port above and left of the hole you've indicated is the one where the ball bearing and float is located. Hope this helps.
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

geezer101 wrote:This might be a tricky one Dave as the carby in question doesn't have an external fuel line to supply the enrichment pump.
Neither do any of mine.
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

Sorry Dave, I'm not in your garage lol. Got any other thoughts on this one or have I nailed it?
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

geezer101 wrote:Sorry Dave, I'm not in your garage lol.
lol. That link I provided is of my carbs, they don't have the fuel feed to the accelerator pump, that's why I said mine don't either.
geezer101 wrote:Got any other thoughts on this one or have I nailed it?
I'm still not sure exactly what the problem is?

Here's the photo of the one from my garage
As you can see from the pic (even though it's not a very good one) the upper hole is blocked not the lower one.
kidde16

Post by kidde16 »

thank you for your reply sir ive tried using compressed air up to 70 psi it wont budge i know you know that it is unstuck if you can hear it if you shake the carb's body.... i had already polished all the parts all im waiting now is the body to reassemble it
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

Can you see the 'ball' when looking down from the top of the carby body to the gallery behind the blocked port you've indicated? If it appears to be brass it will be a gallery plug. Other than the steel ball bearing and float there are no other ball bearings used in these carbies. I would say that, regretfully, I think the die cast metal around the brass gallery plug may have corroded to the point where the plug is no longer pressed in place. The carby you've chosen to rebuild may no longer be viable. Keep us posted with your progress kidde16, and good luck. :)
kidde16

Post by kidde16 »

sir the sample picture that i posted isnt the one whos ball is stuck, thats my other solex carb. its ironic that that one which looks so eroded is the one that is working perfectly and the one which has a metal ball that is stuck is the one that looks pretty neat i cant give up on that because every part of it was in perfect condition no loose threads or what so ever just that stuck metal ball ill keep an update sir..
aussiblue

Post by aussiblue »

Try an Ultrasonic cleaner first. If all else fails (this is a last resort nothing to lose measure) soak it for no longer that 5 minutes in strong solution of liquid toilet cleaner (Harpic, Sanifresh, Snowbowl or whatever) and water. This acid solution will attack and clean away the aluminium oxide (and give off some noxious gases) in the process and if you leave it in any longer than 10 minutes it will start dissolving away the whole carburettor.
Regards Blue