New head not wot i thought

Ask other members technical questions here, if your after a certain answer/result have our members help you.
slugma

New head not wot i thought

Post by slugma »

Hey guys, so I picked up my new head last night, it was advertised as an M2, but when I inspected it, it is actually an M28 (M8).
So I was wondering if this will still bolt straight onto my astron 1 engine?
Also, it has the small half circle at the front, and mine has the large, will this cause any drama?
What would the torque setting/sequence be for this head to this engine?
Any sort of advice would be helpful, thanks, Matt.
MY05 GT Liberty
83 GJ Sigma
C_Fernance

Re: New head not wot i thought

Post by C_Fernance »

Your new head is for an Astron II, while it sounds like your original one is an Astron I. Whilst they can be used they are designed to be used with different pistons. Putting on as is will result in a low compression engine with poor/sluggish performance. Ideally you would need to change to a set of flat top pistons.

I'm pretty sure the torque specs are the same for both.
GB_BB4C

Post by GB_BB4C »

Torque sequence and settings will be with the new gasket set.
2* 73 A53 16L Dodge Colt (Plymouth Cricket), 2* 73 GB Galant Sedan's, 1* 74 GB Galant Sedan, 1* 76 VK Valiant Regal,
1* 79 GE SE Sigma Sedan, 1* 81 GH Sigma PWS, 1* 84 GK Sigma SE, 1* 85 GK Sigma GL - Replacing the 84 GK SE, 1* 91 GTO - FOR SALE

slugma

Post by slugma »

Awesome, thanks guys.

Low compression is wot I'm after as I will turbo it very soon as my bro is pretty clever with that stuff.
It will be a very basic, low boost set up at first, but will slowly upgrade to a better set up. I'm also considering putting a cam in it before we put the head on. Once I get a carb for it we will just put a turbo straight on, eventually ill get an exhaust, inter cooler, and then most likely fuel injection. Body etc won't be touched as I want a sleeper!

I've looked at the cam tech web site for cams, and I was wondering if some one here can tell me the difference between the normal cam grinds and the turbo cam grinds?

Also, my next question is what sort of carby do u guys recommend?
MY05 GT Liberty
83 GJ Sigma
amehel0

Post by amehel0 »

Cam grinds change the valve timing. they can shorten or lengthen the length of time the valve opens. Look alot of people say that you cant run blow through setups but that isn't entirely true. The engine is tuned to be much less efficient so as to avoid detonation. The biggest problems with carbs is a reliable fuel pressure regulator that is boost related sealing a carb and well it wont be a very pleasant car to drive around in unless you can confidently re-jet it. and even then it doesnt have the advantage of closed loop A/R Control. Also you need an efficient intercooler and you may want to invest in a anti detonation tank and sprayer in case you get some knock. A much easier and probably cheaper setup would be twin carbs.