GJ Sigma

Ask other members technical questions here, if your after a certain answer/result have our members help you.
caz

GJ Sigma

Post by caz »

Hi ,
My names Caz
I have a problem with my old Sigma, she is having a huge amount of trouble to get uphill lately & today after work I noticed black oil patch on ground. Any suggestions where I start troubleshooting. Fuel filter changed last week.Oil ok and fuel pump ok
Thanks in advance,
Caz
amehel0

Re: GJ Sigma

Post by amehel0 »

was it playing up prior to the oil filter change? can you notice where the oil is leaking from; is it the head the sump...?
caz

Post by caz »

Yes, it was sluggish uphills so tried changing the filter.Compression test been done also yesterday & they said that was correct & within perameters etc. The sump is the leak i think.... but what about the points , may they have been causing the trouble I'm having? Cheers, Caz
Superscan811

Post by Superscan811 »

caz wrote:but what about the points , may they have been causing the trouble I'm having?
From memory, the GJ Astron engines ran an electronic ignition and were usually reliable. If you have a tacho, around a week or more before they fail, the needle tends to bounce all over the place and you may also notice a bit of misfiring.

That being said, also check the mechanical advance is working fine by removing the dizzy cap and twist the rotor button, if it springs back easily and there is minimal slack when it returns, it should be fine.

As per another recent post, check the vacuum secondaries on the carbies are working and the diaphragm isn't leaking.

As for the oil leak, check the PCV valve and vacuum hose.

Cheers.
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

Bit more info please caz - what's the engine actually doing on the uphill run? Is it coughing, losing revs etc...
If the vacuum can on the carby's not working it will lose a fair bit of torque under load. Same with a blocked jet. I'd be saying the carby at this point, it probably is due for a rebuild if it looks like it hasn't been touched for a while. Good luck :thumpsup:
caz

Post by caz »

Thanks guys,
Great info there. Before I read your posts I had the points changed as they were completely burnt through, this seems to have fixed the power loss uphill so now I'm working on the oil leak. I will try to work out exactly where it's coming from & will update later when I get the chance, also the rotor button doesn't spring back like you say it should, it makes a little rattle and moves slightly , no springing at all. :(
Thanks again,
Caz
caz

Post by caz »

oh I forgot to say two things A) uphill it just had no revs there were no noises at all sounded just fine .B) my car person said to tell you lot that the points that WERE in the car came from a Ford or a Nissan, heard of that before? cheers :)