Holley 180 Tuning

Ask other members technical questions here, if your after a certain answer/result have our members help you.
dnvgalant

Holley 180 Tuning

Post by dnvgalant »

Hey Guys,

i Just installed a holley 180 in my 1600 saturn but is running quite bad. Seems to be bogging down alot when accelerating and running quite erratically.
i found a thread in another forum saying that the Holley 180 doesnt run too well with over 3.2 psi fuel pressure and the manual says that the standard fuel pump
does a bit over 5. I have ordered an inline regulator and gauge to try and resolve this.
Im not sure what size jets are in. Just wondering if anyone has tuned one of these for the saturn 1600 and
if they remember what jet sizes they used and any other tweaks they did to tune it well?

Cheers

Danny
Superscan811

Re: Holley 180 Tuning

Post by Superscan811 »

dnvgalant wrote:i Just installed a holley 180 in my 1600 saturn but is running quite bad.
To tune it properly will require a bit of investment.
You will either have to pay someone to tune it for you or attempt to do it yourself.

Either way will cost you but if you do it yourself, you will gain a bit of knowledge and some useful "tools".

You will need to research the 180 Holley a bit.
The first thing I found was at www.datsun1200.com and it seems to say you have chosen the right carburettor for your engine. This is a good start.

The next is where you can buy the different jets etc.. www.hume.com.au. They are over in Liverpool so this is also good.

Now the not so good.

There are a lot of factors that will determine how the carby is best tuned to your engine.
1. Compression ratio of the engine.
2. Engine condition.
3. Cam.
4. Exhaust system.
5. Ignition timing.
6. Porting of the head.
7. valve size.

The best way to "gauge" this is to either install a Wide band O2 sensor with a logger, or, run the engine on a dyno with an exhaust gas analyzer.

The trouble is that either will cost you a few hundred $$$.

If you are competent and methodical, I'd recommend you do it yourself, if not, pay someone else to do it.

I'm more than happy to give you a hand if you wish to tackle it yourself.

Cheers.
dnvgalant

Re: Holley 180 Tuning

Post by dnvgalant »

Cheers for the info mate.
I am gonna give it a go myself. Im not looking for a perfect tune just yet as
i am planning on extractors and exhaust upgrade as well as possibly
electronic ignition and dizzy. Gonna grab some smaller jets as i am
pretty sure it came off a 2litre.
Will let you know how i go =)