GH SIGMA DIFF INTO A GA GALANT SEDAN???

Ask other members technical questions here, if your after a certain answer/result have our members help you.
72GalantGirl

GH SIGMA DIFF INTO A GA GALANT SEDAN???

Post by 72GalantGirl »

I have a problem.. The diff in the Ga I got a few months ago is cactus. I have been told that you can put a diff from a GH Sigma into it?? Is this possible? What parts do I need to get from the GH and what do I get rid of from the GA??
I can get everything off the GH thats needed and more if anyone needs parts. But just want to know whats required? And disc brakes from a GH as well?

I am such a noob when it comes to these older cars :P

Its not about how much you spend.... Its about how much of the work you did yourself!!! :)
72GalantGirl

Re: GH SIGMA DIFF INTO A GA GALANT SEDAN???

Post by 72GalantGirl »

Ok I have another question... What about converting the rear to GC/GD diff???

Its not about how much you spend.... Its about how much of the work you did yourself!!! :)
astronturbo77
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by astronturbo77 »

GB/C/D would be far easier, Gh sigmas are coil rear end, it will require the mounts cutting off and leaf spring mounts welding on, the diff will need to be shortened as sigma's are a wider wheel base, handbrake cables, and tail shaft flange will be different, plus a few more things.
BUILT NOT BROUGHT BY ALGIE.
72GalantGirl

Post by 72GalantGirl »

Awesome. Hopefully this guy I am going to see on the weekend that has some galants and a starion(5grand) he is getting rid of will have something suitable. The starion's engine has been worked hardcore but during the recent cyclone an iron bark fell on it. So engine must be worth something if he still wants 5 :P

DanTurboLancer

Post by DanTurboLancer »

If you want to use a Galant diff, the Wagon diffs are the pick.
Thicker axles, heavier duty bearings, and bigger drum brakes, than the sedans.

I am unsure if the Sigma Diff would be much larger in any particular aspects than the galant Wagon diffs.
I would assume so as they are a much larger heavier vehicle.
One good person to ask might be C_Fernance

But i can tell you it may be a good option,
as they are easily found, come with disk brakes standard,
and while they are substantially wider than the stock Galant diff,
you will find many rally cars use a rear wheel track wider than the front.

And I found on my LA Lancer when I used a Sigma Diff,
If you use Front wheel drive offset wheels,
I had to use 30mm Spacer/adaptor plates on the front,
which moved the Front wheels out enough to fit, and only scrub inner gaurds on full lock. (Mine were 17" x 6")
But the rear wheels without using spacers, were perfect.
as the wider wheel track of the diff, meant i just didnt use spacers on the rear and it worked great.

Another alternative is you buy specially ordered offset wheels...??
Then you wont have to use FWD offset, wont have to use spacers on front and you can have HUGE rims and heaps of tread...

To fit a siggy diff
You will need the complete Sigma Diff, including all handbrake parts and cable
Keep the Sigma tailshaft
Get some square tubing, that will be used for welding on you new mounting brackets for the diff to the GA leaves.
I would at this stage if you can, take the leaves to get an extra leave added, If you want to lower it you can get them reset,
and replace all your rubbers.
You may need to cut the back off the Galant tailshaft and weld the Sigma Yoke that mounts to the Diff.
Or if you want to upgrade the tailshaft, you can use the thicker sigma tailsaft, so you could cut the front yoke off the Galant tail shaft, and weld it onto the front of the Sigma tailshaft...
OR I have heard mention of possibly you may be able to cut as section of the Rear of the sigma Tailshaft, and cut the end off the rear of the GA Tailshaft,
and then slip the smaller one inside the larger, And weld it in....?? I have not done this myself.

But in any case, i would recommend getting it to a professional tailshaft shop to be welded, if you arent proficient,
and definitely to be balanced.

So while you can do it, its not straight forward, and there is cost involved, not just a bolt in fit.

The galant Wagon diff would be easiest and best option.
Sigma Diff is do-able and comes with disks... upto you
DanTurboLancer

Post by DanTurboLancer »

Just to show you what i mean here are some pics of my old Lancer,

Stock when i brought it

Here it is with the stock diff, and FWD offset 17 x 6 rims, using the 30mm spacers both front and rear

And here is a pic of it with the Sigma diff fitted, but not using the 30mm spacers on the rear.
As you can see the wheel offset is still almost identical.

and having some fun ;) Fond memories!

72GalantGirl

Post by 72GalantGirl »

Hi Dan,

Thanks for the info. I am definately thinking the diff from the GD wagon is the best way to go and the sigma is a build it up for when this engine goes and I drop the CA18T into her. :D
I can get the sigma diff and everything I need when I pick up the wagon anyways since it's an hour drive so may as well do it. Not alot of options up here, plenty of GC/GD :S
I still on the look out for a bonnet and front guards D:

C_Fernance

Post by C_Fernance »

DanTurboLancer wrote:You may need to cut the back off the Galant tailshaft and weld the Sigma Yoke that mounts to the Diff.
Or if you want to upgrade the tailshaft, you can use the thicker sigma tailsaft, so you could cut the front yoke off the Galant tail shaft, and weld it onto the front of the Sigma tailshaft...
OR I have heard mention of possibly you may be able to cut as section of the Rear of the sigma Tailshaft, and cut the end off the rear of the GA Tailshaft,
and then slip the smaller one inside the larger, And weld it in....?? I have not done this myself.
Sigmas and Galants (not hardtops) use the same universal joints - RUJ1786. The yokes are a straight swap and the only reason you would need to modify the actual shaft is if you need it a different length.

Sigma yoke is on the left, and the Galant yoke is on the right.

DanTurboLancer

Post by DanTurboLancer »

Ahh good point Chris,
Sorry When i did my tailshaft, i also fitted a 5speed box.
You may not need to cut the tailshaft at all as Chris mentioned.
But i was allowing for if the Diff had a longer pinion and yoke from the Galant to the Sigma...??

I think sticking with a GD Wagon diff is a great option for now.

CA18 may require more anyway :thumpsup:
72GalantGirl

Post by 72GalantGirl »

Thanks so much c-furnance and dan. Definatley a solid idea. :) Just didn't want to ruin a beaut example of a wagon for my girl if I had another option.
Yea dan gonna be a long one with the CA18T but got two of them hanging around needing a rebuild and a donor car. Gotta get the Turbo AU running first :)

72GalantGirl

Post by 72GalantGirl »

Problem!!!

Fitted the GD diff in perfectly fits everywhere..... Except the tailshaft :O What the hell.

Ok so the tailshaft from the ga (with a tiny diff behind it) is 2 inches too long for the GD wagon diff. Should I just chuck it at the closest tailshaft guy??

:l

72GalantGirl

Post by 72GalantGirl »

Ok so it looks like I have a SIGMA Tailshaft?!?!?! Anyways is $200 a fair price to have a tailshaft shortened and inch and a half or am I being rippe3d off coz I am a chick and made the fatal mistake of going there by myself???

Cheers

Superscan811

Post by Superscan811 »

It's around $80 to get a tailshaft balanced (just had mine done a few weeks ago) so that would be $120 to "cut and shut". Not too bad in my opinion.

Cheers.
72GalantGirl

Post by 72GalantGirl »

cheers superscan... never had anything to do with tailshafts before!!

So far this car has cost about a grand and I havent even touched the insides or most of the outsides :O Its gonna look great when its done!! :)