timing help on a fwd 4g54 please.

Ask other members technical questions here, if your after a certain answer/result have our members help you.
Choda

timing help on a fwd 4g54 please.

Post by Choda »

Hey guys, Ive got a Ts magna 2.6l efi.

I took of my head of the magna and replaced a few parts.

Before pulling the head of i didnt set the Number 1 piston to TDC( first time doing this sorry)

So I have started putting the head back together via a book that i brought with the right torque settings. So I lined up the cam gear sproket key way to 12o'clock like the book said with piston 1 and 4 at tdc, bolted the cam and rockers in, put the distributor in with the rotor button on the spark plug 1. But have notice that the harmonic balancer timing marks dont line up with the zero mark its a 180dec out.

First question When the replacment timing chain was install did they stuff it up( Only have had the car for 2 weeks)?
Second question will this stuff my engine up? if i continue to install the engine
Third question can i just swap my spark plug cables over to mark the car run?

Thank you for you help guys.
Roy
Cottees
Admin

Re: timing help on a fwd 4g54 please.

Post by Cottees »

What parts did you replace? If you didn't replace or take off the timing chain, it should be just a matter of putting everything back together except for the distributor. Before putting the Distributor in, turn the crank pulley to align the TDC mark, and put the distributor back in as the manual says. For the lining up of the crank pulley, so long as you still have a FWD timing chain cover and crank pulley, the TDC mark should align properly.

1. Have you had the car running since you have had it?
2. Probably not. It just wont start.
3. If the previous owners have installed a new timing chain and did it wrong, probably better to correct that problem.
Choda

Post by Choda »

Parts I replaced were valve stem seals and lash adjuster. Also clean all valves up extra.

The book says nothing about the distributor at all, all it says is put it back in.

The Timing marks only lined up with zero when piston 2 and 3 where at top dead center and 1 and 4 where at the bottom. I keepnt turning the engine over to line up and never did with piston 1.

Dont have time to fix timing chain if that is the problem
yes car was running when i brought in, drove it home as well.

Cheers
Choda

Post by Choda »

Just went back out there and rotated the engine and the white line and zero mark only lined up on 2,3 but not on 1,4 at all.
Choda

Post by Choda »

The car runs but not good at all. Any info people can help me with to get it going? swaping leads etc?
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

Choda wrote:The car runs but not good at all. Any info people can help me with to get it going? swaping leads etc?
If the leads needed swapping, the engine would fail start at all. If it is running not well, then I'd adjust the timing with the Distributor, make sure the intake pipes are attached properly and not leaking etc.
Choda

Post by Choda »

Thank you so much for replying back need this car to run.

Well it runs and starts but not good, with i rev it, i can hear a nosie coming from the intake like a bath tub draining down.

Also when i put my timing light on spark plug lead one i cant see any white line, but if i put it on spark plug lead 2 i can see the whit line, so when i tune and set the timing do i do it via the second spark plug lead?

Cheers so much mate.
rob020

Post by rob020 »

dizzy 180 degrees out or cam timing off?
"launching missiles? who do they think i am? iraq? where would i get a missile from?" "that means rocks too dumbaass" "oh"
conversation recently overheard at police station after big night out
greybeard

Post by greybeard »

From what you have said the camshaft is out 180°, if you removed the head then you must have removed the cam from the timing chain. So when putting back together, based on your description, you must have misaligned the crank gear and cam gear, there is no way to correct this other than dismantling it again. Shifting the distibutor and spark leads to suit this crank/cam misalignment is achievable but not desirable.

To be absolutely sure that this is the problem, a simple check can be made by removing the rocker cover and hand turning the engine until the crank timing mark is aligned with the timing pointer, you should also have the plugs out and check that no.1 piston is at the top of clinder. At this position both valves for no.1 cylinder should be closed, in other words by looking at the cam lobes at no.1 cylinder neither inlet or exhaust lobe should be contacting the valve stems; this should also coincide with the distributor rotor pointing to no.1 plug lead.

If this is not the case, then as above, the only way to correct it is disassemble and start again
webby

Post by webby »

Another way to see whether no.1 is on comp stroke or not is to try and move the rockers for no.1, if they wiggle back and forth on the shaft then you're on comp stroke
-Josh.
Daily: 7/96 EF Falcon, 4.0 SOHC, BTR95LE, 3.45:1 LSD/Lukey extractors, full 2.5” exhaust, EL intake, Tickford snorkel, 87DA cam, AU injectors, shiftkits.com.au single stage kit. PB 14.93@91mph.
Project: Red '81 Scorpion-http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=11889
rob020

Post by rob020 »

and the rotor in the dizzy should be pointing straight up i think?
"launching missiles? who do they think i am? iraq? where would i get a missile from?" "that means rocks too dumbaass" "oh"
conversation recently overheard at police station after big night out
genius

Post by genius »

The last 2 posts are dead on. you should be able to slightly move the forward rockers if its on TDC comp, dizzy rotor up, balancer lined up at close to tdc..give or take 8 degrees. If you have a close look at where the dizzy nut is you can see the witness marks of its original position. That should get you within 1 or 2 degrees of correct timing.
Choda

Post by Choda »

Thank you guys so much ill go out and check.

The manual said to point the cam gear key at 12'oclock to get to tdc which is what i did. Then i put the dizzy rotor on number 1 spark plug.

So if i have put it out by 180decs why didnt the white mark line up with the zero with piston 1?

and if it is out by 180decs is it just a matter of taking the rocker arms off and the cam sproket and turn the engine by hand that way hey? the reset the dizzy?

Cheers guys for your help.
LEE

Post by LEE »

my first question is , did you remove the cam gear from the chain? 2/ did you take pressure off the rachet adjuster for timing chain ?,3/ the harmonic may have spun and requires replacing can you check against another one? in theory you can take the head off in any postion due to the chain and sprocket sitting on the rest plate , you then rotate the cam to suit locating pin , if you removed the cam gear from the chain then you have to reset the chain timing marks ie pull timing cover off
greybeard

Post by greybeard »

At the end of the day you have to put no.1 piston on top dead centre remove the cam and gear from chain, rotate the cam and gear so that no.1 cam lobes are not pushing on no.1 rocker arms/valve gear, and by the way; at this point no.4 should also be at top dead centre with its cam lobes rocking the valve gear so that the inlet valve is opening and the exhaust valve is closing. At this position your cam gear alignment marks should be in the correct position and you can now worry about positioning the distributor. Hope I havent confused you !!