Triton 2.6 into gc

Ask other members technical questions here, if your after a certain answer/result have our members help you.
ted

Triton 2.6 into gc

Post by ted »

Hi all,

Dumb question is the 2.6 and 5speed in a triton the as what you would get in a sigma? i can get hold of both and want to make sure it will fit.
oldn64
Oldn Engineering

Re: Triton 2.6 into gc

Post by oldn64 »

It will fit Ted, My galant had a 2.6 conversion in a weekend, after I spat the dummy about the 4G32B I had in it and the towie was comming to pick up the sigma wreck I had, pulled the motor out and bolted it to the original galant 4 speed. There are a couple of hurdles to get over but you should be fine. Biggest three are, alternator on wrong side of motor, potential gearbox mount rubber change, and exhuast. the rest is fairly straight forward.... Good luck.

Cheers
The way God intended it.....Chrysler for the win :D
ted

Post by ted »

NICE!!! yeah i will eventually go a 5 speed but im aware of the alternator wiring im a mechanic i should have everythin at work so everything should be pretty straight forward,
Thanks man im looking forward to the conversion big time!!!
shuggy

Post by shuggy »

i heard that the carbs/valves/pistons are different in the tritons, designed to suit the heavy loads?
A112H

Post by A112H »

Shouldn't be an issue to fit up mate. Many many years ago (about 15) I started a Saturday morning by driving my GE Scorpion to my Dads workshop where I had waiting a hoist, an engine crane, a MiG, my tool box and a LA Lancer Coupe.
After some swear words, some lost skin, a few bruises and a few beers I drove home Sunday night in my 2.6 5 speed La Lancer Coupe.
This is what I needed to mod from memory, as I said 15 years ago so forgive anything I might forget

Thermo fan on the front of the rad (not needed on Galant just remove the spacer between the rad and the rad support panel)
Alt wiring
Exhaust was easy, I just used the Scorpion headers and the Lancer already had a sports exhaust, cut it back, welded on a flange and bolted it up
Cut floor to suit shifter
Mod gearbox cross member
Home made tail shaft ( not as dodgy as it sounds, the Lancer shaft actually fits very snuggly inside a Scorpion shaft, so I simply cut the back of the Scorpion shaft and the front of the Lancer shaft, slipped it inside to length and welded it up. Lasted me 5,000k before I sold it, :lol: )

Thats was about it mate, good luck with the build and make sure you keep us up to date.
ted

Post by ted »

Thanks heaps mate!! it should be pretty straight forward im looking forward to it BIG TIME!!
I'm going to go a set of extractors it has a nice system on it already and ive got a single 45 dcoe weber so i think i might find another haha
always wanted twin webers!!!
trainzkid88

Post by trainzkid88 »

depending on the year the carbies are different for instance the bolts on the 88 mk triton go right through the carbie and the older models don't also some models 86 onwards had Bakelite bowl fitted to the factory carb if you change the carb you may have to change from bolts to studs or vice versa. the heads on astron engines are interchangeable but the combustion chambers could be different but i am unsure.
this car is all motor real motors don't need forced induction or nitrous and there's no substitute for cubes.