1Uz into gc?

Ask other members technical questions here, if your after a certain answer/result have our members help you.
ted

1Uz into gc?

Post by ted »

Hi all,

Is anyone able to point towards the guidlines for engineering one of these puppies into a gc? Is it possible with the large upgrade in cubic capacity?
or am i just dreaming?
shuggy

Re: 1Uz into gc?

Post by shuggy »

im not sure the exact number but i think its like 4 x the weight of the car in cubic centimeters is the limit?

so a 1 tonne (approx) is a 4 liter engine..

is this right?
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

Check with your state registries, but I think NSW has something similar to what Shuggy quoted.
There will be a formula, you just have to find it.

For NSW look at page 2 http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registration/ ... v_2007.pdf

What I found by googling vicroads engine modifications.... http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/Home/Reg ... ations.htm
Change of engine
1. Replacement engine is identical to the original engine, or is an option allowed by the manufacturer for the same model vehicle
The optional engine must be offered in Australia by the vehicle manufacturer as an option for that vehicle (or certified variants). The change of engine may be recorded by VicRoads provided that the registered operator or a motor mechanic, or dealer in that make of vehicle or an Automotive Engineer signs a declaration certifying the engine is optional for the vehicle model, and that all modifications made by the manufacturer for the same vehicle model with that optional engine have been completed.

You will need to attend a VicRoads Customer Service Centre to have the vehicle's engine inspected to confirm the new engine details. No appointment is required. You will also need to complete a Change of Vehicle Description form.

2. Replacement engine is not of a type offered by the vehicle manufacturer as an option for that vehicle or where alterations, or changes to the vehicle's frame or structure are made, and/or specially fabricated supports or structures are used
You will need to attend a VicRoads Customer Service Centre for an inspection of the vehicle to confirm the new engine details. You will also need to complete a Change of Vehicle Description form and provide VicRoads with:

* a VASS Approval Certificate from a VicRoads Vehicle Assessment Signatory
* an original receipt for the purchase of the engine as proof of ownership of the engine

Id suggest talking to an automotive engineer, someone who knows the current rules and can read between the lines on the rather ambiguously written rulings.

Hope this helps.

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
ted

Post by ted »

Thanks for the help boys!! if thats the case the 4x formula will be ok because after i drop a nine inch, supra manual or c4 auto and the 1UZ should bring it to a tonne hahaha
and again thanks boy!! great community weve got here!!
A112H

Post by A112H »

Sorry to be a downer Ted but they will go by the factory weight not current weight.
ted

Post by ted »

really? so is that so they dont have to manually put the new weight into the computer system? easier to click a button?? that is bullshit!! what asshole write's these rules!!!! let me guess they drive a stock greenpeace peace of shit prius!!! sorry im a fiery person zero tolerance to idiots!!! lol
77galantv6

Post by 77galantv6 »

get in contact with an engineer - he will tell you what you can and cant do
and where to find the appropriate regs
Last edited by 77galantv6 on Sun May 23, 2010 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'77 Galant V6....

1977 Galant with Commodore V6 conversion.

ted

Post by ted »

i will have a talk to my mate im pretty sure he can engineer my car!!
i will do some more research thanks again fellas!!!
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

Just do a rotor conversion....
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
ted

Post by ted »

hahaha pitching the rotar stuff are we dave? hahahaha how much bud? ive always wanted a v8 though!! There is a local guy that has a 1UZ turbo setup in a ta22 celica and its road registered!!! Check the link out its pretty sweet!! this link is old and it has also had more mods since and also sports a gtr drivetrain

http://www.planetsoarer.com/twinturbo/jamiett.html
amgis_obrut

Post by amgis_obrut »

Regs in NSW

conversion formula for cars under 1100kg is weight x 3 for n/a engines or 2.5 for forced engines

In the NCOP listings section LA Engines it states the weight be taken from the heaviest sedan version of any model, this if from the RTA site

‘Original weight’ is the original (unmodified) ‘tare weight’ of the vehicle model fitted with the largest engine available for the model but without optional accessories such as air conditioning and tow bar.

and

Vehicles with engines of greater capacity than that provided in the table will not be acceptable for registration as a modified
production vehicle.
GH Sigma, 16" Mesh wheels, sports steering wheel and a V8 exhaust
oldn64
Oldn Engineering

Post by oldn64 »

There is one way around this.... That is removal of the compliance plate and registration as a ICV. while this will have some cost associated you will be able to register it..... ;) more than one way to skin a cat. Oh you might need to do something about your chassis number as it will need to go too. The difficulty will be it will be registered (if done today) as a 2007 model vehicle, which also means that your car will need to pass 2007 emission standards.

Cheers
The way God intended it.....Chrysler for the win :D
amgis_obrut

Post by amgis_obrut »

ICV need to apply by the standards of that year it was tested, so it will need to meet euro 5 emissions have abs and airbags and would need to pass various structural tests, an emissions teat is something like $2000

People with new glass hotrods are now having to do this
GH Sigma, 16" Mesh wheels, sports steering wheel and a V8 exhaust
oldn64
Oldn Engineering

Post by oldn64 »

amgis_obrut wrote:ICV need to apply by the standards of that year it was tested, so it will need to meet euro 5 emissions have abs and airbags and would need to pass various structural tests, an emissions teat is something like $2000

People with new glass hotrods are now having to do this
To my knowledge (and I can only speak in vic as this is where my research is at present) when you rock up for your registration it will be back dated by 3 years as it has a sliding window of 3 years for contruction, so whne the engineer is signed up this is the start of the build date, if you get it finished before the 3 year window then the date of the construction with the engineer is the one that holds true. If you have taken longer than the 3 years then the construction dat eis back dated for the 3 years. Yes torsional testing is required as is the EPA test, but you dont need to meet ABS, as this is not a mandatory "standard" nor is self canceling indicators. The ruling is if fitted they must be operational. Again airbags are not a requirement, but if fitted must work. The big ones are the calapsable steering column (which the Galant has anyway) and the seat belts. So for a Victorian point of view it would just mean and extra $2000 for EPA, and I am sure the engineer will mark it off as per original again, so the only thing you would be workiing towards is emissions. If you can get the car to pass emissions without a CAT then you dont need one, but it is easier with one.. ;) Another alternative is get a Buick block from the states. then claim it as a 2.7L version..... food for thought....

Cheers
The way God intended it.....Chrysler for the win :D
ted

Post by ted »

Fuck! i might just forget about i think!! haHAHAHA
ted

Post by ted »

shattered!!!! the 1uz wont fit in the galant!!!! So im going a 4g93
gmhighflow

Post by gmhighflow »

For emissions, could you put E85 fuel in it?
ted

Post by ted »

I WISH!!! hahaha we dont have e85 here so im going to change all the emission gear over