MX6 injection manifold on 4g54?

Ask other members technical questions here, if your after a certain answer/result have our members help you.
astron_on_boost

MX6 injection manifold on 4g54?

Post by astron_on_boost »

Hello peoples,
i stumbled across this youtube footage
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uiCZ1WvgCc
where it shows an MX6 intake manifold on a 2.6 g54B. I would think the manifold is off a fwd mx6 but didnt think they would fit? If these can fit, they make a refreshing change to the magna manifold & may not need the throttle body modification. Has anyone got any info on this?
Cheers
LEE

Re: MX6 injection manifold on 4g54?

Post by LEE »

why use MX6 when you can use mazda bravo ! thats if it will fit , I new the blocks were close , but the heads I thought were different- somebody else out there?
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

Not sure if it was the same car or not, but I remember something about the Mazda manifold being cut off at the mounting plate (or what ever it was called), bent, and welded to one from an Astron.
A112H

Post by A112H »

LEE wrote:why use MX6 when you can use mazda bravo ! thats if it will fit , I new the blocks were close , but the heads I thought were different- somebody else out there?
The Bravo, B2600, Courier, Raider use a 12 valve head, so I would think it is different to the Astron head. I wonder if it is the same as the Jet valve head??
woops

Post by woops »

I'd dare say it'd be cheaper and easier to just use a magna manifold which is already made to suit than try to mod something else to fit. I'd say the reason they went to the effort to use a mx6 manifold is due to the fact it's difficult to get affordable multipoint manifolds over there to suit their starions. We have it easy getting the manifolds over here.
'72 GB Galant Sedan nanna spec daily
'85 GN Sigma Wagon 4g63 SOHC Turbo almost ready for the road
'74 GC Galant Coupe long term project
Paddles

Post by Paddles »

very interesting indeed. does anyone have a manifold sitting around, would be interesting to compare pics of both types of manifolds.
'84 GL Scorp, Mildly Worked 2.6 With Sigma Turbo Setup.
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

Galant_GT0 wrote:
LEE wrote:why use MX6 when you can use mazda bravo ! thats if it will fit , I new the blocks were close , but the heads I thought were different- somebody else out there?
The Bravo, B2600, Courier, Raider use a 12 valve head, so I would think it is different to the Astron head. I wonder if it is the same as the Jet valve head??
The 12v engine in the Mazdas is the G6 engine that replaced the 4G54. I think they share the same displacement though. I have had a look at the 4G54 vs G6 heads, and they are different enough to not be compatible.

4G54

G6
amgis_obrut

Post by amgis_obrut »

I played around with one of these heads some years ago and it was pretty close to going on

From memory the headbolts holes and bore spacing was the same but i think there were some oil galleries that needed welding up and external lines fitted

I think this is a very doable swap
GH Sigma, 16" Mesh wheels, sports steering wheel and a V8 exhaust
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

Another problem would be that the exhaust and intake are on opposite sides.

A112H

Post by A112H »

I think another problem is that my Raider is totally gutless and drinks like there is no tomorrow. I would be happy to bin the G6 and chuck a efi converted 54 in there
Paddles

Post by Paddles »

i was more wondering about the intake manifolds bolt pattern and if the intake holes line up?
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

The top gasket here is the part that bolts to the G6 head

view of the intake side of the G6 head

view of the intake

found the pics here: http://www.mx6.com/forums/1g-mx6-forced ... d-one.html
MrBishi

Post by MrBishi »

It doesn't bolt up.

The only reason guys in the US bother modding other stuff to fit is because Magna intakes are not freely available there.
Australia was the only place that got a factory multi point manifold that BOLTS ON so why not take advantage of that fact?

Either gen magna intake can be had for peanuts - why reinvent the wheel?
LEE

Post by LEE »

^^^^ so true
Sean

Post by Sean »

May be a bit of confusion here regarding Mazda/Ford stuff and Astron motors.

87-89 Mazda licensed (not sure if they built or bought) the 4G54 from Mitsubishi to use in their B2600 / Bravo and in Australia the Ford Courier which they refered to as the G54.

From '89 on they switched over to their own 2.6L 4cyl motor called the G6.

So gear from a Mazda from 87-89 with the Mitsubishi engine will work on your Astron.

This then leads to the possibility of gearbox swaps as the Mazda's used their own detachable bellhousing to their own box behind the Mitsubishi motors. The bolts between the Bravo gearbox and bellhousing and the RX7 gearboxes and bellhousings are the same, meaning that an RX7 box can be bolted up to an Astron motor using the B2600/Bravo/Courier bellhousing.

The RX7 box then has the same spline as our Jap boxes and you can use your normal sigma/scorpion clutch with it.

I know nothing however about these passenger car manifolds, but I'll echo the comments that the Yanks would be adapting what they can get their hands on easily - and that isn't fuel injected 4G54 gear like we have.

Sean
Paddles

Post by Paddles »

i was not trying to re create the wheel, just checking things out. MX6 injection dont;t work basically without major mods, we have a ready supply of magna parts.

interesting about the mazda bravo bell housings and rx boxes. i assume the bravos came out in wide block??