4g54's still made for forklifts???

Ask other members technical questions here, if your after a certain answer/result have our members help you.
barana

4g54's still made for forklifts???

Post by barana »

So I read somewhere on the net..forgot where that astrons were still being made and installed new for lpg in forklifts..
Which in interesting news. Why do I find it so interesting?
Well...probably 5 years ago now, QLD took on NSW engine conversion laws, deleting one rule that allowed older engines to be put in newer cars with the proviso to be put on Gas.
My whole interest here is with all these tree hugging laws,you can't register a newer vehicle with an older manufactured engine....
What I do like the possibilities of is a 2004 manufactured 4g54 in a 2004 magna.Legally.
Exciting hey?
So has anyone else worked this out and somehow gotten their hands on models years etc for 4g54 equipped forklifts? Dunno how to do so ...
Scorpma82
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Re: 4g54's still made for forklifts???

Post by Scorpma82 »

As far as I'm aware.... production of such an engine stopped many years ago (automotive production doesn't exist in Australia anymore and I can't see the benefit of running the same engine that was built 3 decades ago.......)

Also, this "can't run an older engine unless it's on lpg" law seems highly flawed and full of loopholes.......late model engine in an early model car...that's logic......but I can't see my 2010 lancer "legally" able to run an '88 built 4g54 because it's on lpg.....that just seems like a barely thought-out law.

If it is the case that u ARE allowed (for example) said conversion......I'm sure there is also an underlining law that states that the vehicle must still meet the appropriate emissions requirements of such vehicle based on the compliance date of said vehicle......

Buying a BA Falcon and dropping a carby fed 351 in it would simply be illegal..... regardless if it were on straight LPG or not.
Built with pride, Driven in anger
barana

Post by barana »

As far as I'm aware.... production of such an engine stopped many years ago (automotive production doesn't exist in Australia anymore and I can't see the benefit of running the same engine that was built 3 decades ago.......)
Really? You cant? Toyota run the 3y. And 5r engine in forklifts,nissan the H20 and k series diesels and mitz run 4g63/4. And hopefully astron to this very day... Reliable, parts availablity and except for the diesels they all love gas.

So what you are saying is you dont have a clue?
Data online I can bash google around for info.. And as far as a general date they give me is 1995 for forkift astron fitment.. Havent had it confirmed yet.
Look im being presumptive here in stating i dont think cat/mitsubishi forklifts were ever produced in australia so im obviously talking about jap/yank produced astrons here, so its all imports. Do you know different? Please tell me if you do.
The astron diesel 4d56 dohc is still being produced and installed into huyundai iload and imax vans, as well as 2nd gen l300 in the phillipines up until 2014.

[/quote]Also, this "can't run an older engine unless it's on lpg" law seems highly flawed. / cut blah here------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ [/quote]
Read what i said again mate. We USED to have that law. Then the mexicans invaded and promoted tree hugging. And it got axed.
Thankyou for your input mate and i dont want to discourage discussion and participation but if I seem a miniscule perplexed is im wondering where your posative contribution is and I feel spoken down to by presumption.
I bope we both have a better day :)
I welcome everyones input to the question at hand!
Scorpma82
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by Scorpma82 »

.................dafuq?????
Built with pride, Driven in anger