4g63 g/box onto 4g52?

Ask other members technical questions here, if your after a certain answer/result have our members help you.
protoedwardo

4g63 g/box onto 4g52?

Post by protoedwardo »

Howdy all,
I recently bought a dud MD l200 with a seized 4g63 (double rectangle headlights, unsure year). I measured the lower bolt spacing on the 5-speed which came in at 310 mm, so that makes it a narrow block.

I could either pull the box and convert my other l200 from column shift 4-speed to a 5-speed or toss the 4g63 in favour for another engine. A 4g52 auto (narrow, right?) showed up on scumtree which got me thinking, will a narrow 4g63 5-speed bolt up to an auto 4g52? I am mainly concerned about the spigot/pilot bearing and how to bolt up the flywheel and associated clutch bits from the 4g63 to the 4g52.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. In the meantime I will continue to trawl forums at stupid hours of the night lol

Cheers guys, Ed.
75wagon
Admin

Re: 4g63 g/box onto 4g52?

Post by 75wagon »

This might help you identify what you are looking at:
Wide or Narrow (Motor or gearbox)?

More useful topics found here...
Ultimate Topic Directory (FAQ TOPICS)

I hope this helps...

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
protoedwardo

Post by protoedwardo »

Thanks for the info! Appreciated :)

I've looked up a lot of threads and double checked part numbers etc. To get this old bomb going again I'm gonna go ahead with an auto 4g52 from a GJ sigma and keep the 5 speed. As far as a basic swap list, I can think of:

- spigot bearing suited for the 4g52, should work with jap 5 speed (the same part numbers popped up for sigma/L200s)
-reuse flywheel + clutch assembly + starter from the 4g63, providing my 4g63 is a 6 bolt flywheel to mate with the 4g52
-engine mounts, any sigma 4g5x.
-radiator + plumbing, should be big enough and routing should be the same/similar.
-exhaust, shit I hope it bolts up.
-electrical, hoping this will be plug and play lol. A lot of the wiring should be the same, might have to reroute the alternator wiring,
-anything else?
-???
-profit.

We shall see how it goes.
A112H

Post by A112H »

The gearbox from a L200 will be narrow block as the ran both the 4G52 and narrow 4G63, however; they also run much larger input and output shafts so your stock clutch and tailshaft wont fit.
You can use the fly, pressure plate and clutch from the L200 but you will need the front yoke on your tailshaft changed to the L200 one
protoedwardo

Post by protoedwardo »

Thanks heaps for the help, I really appreciate it. Would have been pretty shitty to find that out during the swap.

Just to clarify, do you mean the input and output diameter and spline count? Or do you mean longer shafts? I'm a little confused as you mention I can reuse the clutch.

Just confirming- the MD L200 is a 4g63 5 speed manual (narrow), and I want to put in a 4g52 (narrow) and keep the 5 speed.

I checked a lot of parts between an MD L200 and a Gj sigma (donor engine), they both had the same spline count and diameter clutch plates.
protoedwardo

Post by protoedwardo »

Been pretty busy lately but uni is finished and so the engine went in! Could've done with an extra pair of hands but I had to solo it!

I have everything bolted up and put back together apart from a few things.

Does anyone know what the polarity of the 2 wires coming off of a 4g52 distributor? My engine has a white wire and a black wire coming off the dizzy, they connect to the coil (pretty ceryain) but I can't for the life of me find any diagrams or old posts. The cactus 4g63 had ring and blade crimped cables making it easier to see where they go, not so on this 4g52.

The only other problem I have had is the exhaust. 4g63 manifold goes to a single collector but the astron goes to a twin collector. Nothing a trip to the wreckers can't fix.

Cheers!
Ed.
itsabitshiti

Post by itsabitshiti »

Great stuff! You still own this one Ed? Just getting into similar territory with an L200 myself be interested to hear how it went.
BlueThunder

Post by BlueThunder »

I could fit a 1991 4G63 DOHC non turbo to a KM132 of a Lancer LB Hatchback (Celeste) without problems. The only thing that you have to do is to take the flywheel and clutch of a 4G52 (different diameter of the center hole in the flywheel for the input shaft of the gearbox)...

other info you can find on www.projectzerog.com ;)