Urgent help required - disc brakes

Ask other members technical questions here, if your after a certain answer/result have our members help you.
brichman

Urgent help required - disc brakes

Post by brichman »

Hi all,

Unfortunately i've had an accident and broken some of the rear brake set-up in my sigma.

They have this 'Girlock' plate which adapts the drum rear end to the discs that i'm currently using. This is broken and needs replacing and i'm unable to find anything out there in the world of the intenet :(

Can someone please help? Any information at all will be super helpful. It will mean that i'm able to save my car...

Thanks!

brichman

Re: Urgent help required - disc brakes

Post by brichman »

In terms of information, the best i've got is that it's a drum brake rear diff. the handbrake goes inside of the brake discs, and its running R33 skyline brakes, but there's a plate which bolts it onto the piece i've pictured. I hope i can replace it as that'll mean i'll be able to use my car again.
mstrrab1992

Post by mstrrab1992 »

http://www.girlock.co.za/dbrakes.html

All I found after 5 minutes I'll have a better look once I get home. Cheer
All Animals to the Crow: Your not a zoo animal!
Monkey to crow:your just jealous cause noone says "mummy mummy i want to see a crow!"
Scorpma82
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by Scorpma82 »

I'd look at skyline for the backing plate
Built with pride, Driven in anger
brichman

Post by brichman »

I found someone on the ModifiedMitsubishi facebook page who actually has one of these. Said it came from a sigma wagon with disc brakes, just like mine!
Maybe it was a factory option kit or something? It seems to adapt a drum axle into disc brakes, and it is made by the company that did make all the sigma brakes...
Sigmaproject

Post by Sigmaproject »

I have both the GN factory service manual and factory spare parts catalogue..but they are of no help because the GN never had rear discs as a factory option. :think:
brichman

Post by brichman »

Yeah, I've got the GN manual aswell and it mentions nothing.. The guy i'm going to buy the part from reckons its from a GH wagon. I dont mind, as I think i've sourced the part, but it would be nice to know for future refrence, and apparently it enables literally a bolt-on disc upgrade.. Saying that, I also wonder what my rear discs are from... :/
brichman

Post by brichman »

I have thought of something that may help though, does anyone have a GH workshop manual in electronic form? :)
Sigmaproject

Post by Sigmaproject »

I have an old GK workshop Manuel which is the same basic rear disc brake setup.

brichman

Post by brichman »

Sigmaproject wrote:I have an old GK workshop Manuel which is the same basic rear disc brake setup.

That's the one! You're a legend :) Does it mention if its sedan/wagon specific? I've got one on the way but now i'll know to keep a look out in wreckers :D
brichman

Post by brichman »

Alrightey, just a little update for anyone in the future. These pieces are standard on any GK with rear disc brakes. I found them on a sedan someone was parting out!

Interesting enough, I also found out with the aid of these it is super easy to convert a drum diff to disc. Just grab the assembelies from a GK and it'll bolt straight up (apart from needing to machine/grind down a lip on the diff where the axle bolts to). Handy to know :)
Scorpma82

Post by Scorpma82 »

It is handy to know.....just watch your brake balance now because disc/disc setups have a different brake master cylinder to a disc/drum

(I think you may become too reliant on the front)
brichman

Post by brichman »

Alrightey, thanks for the tip. I shall see if I can find someone that can measure that for me, and worst comes to worst I can just replace the master cylinder :)

Thanks again to people for their help!
Scorpma82

Post by Scorpma82 »

the difference in balance will be rather small (may not even be noticeable) given that the weight (and more importantly) weight distribution is essentially identical between the two cars
Sigmaproject

Post by Sigmaproject »

I did not change over the brake master cylinder when I put GK discs on the back of the wagon. Every year I have to get the brakes tested on a platronic drive on brake tester..and the balance is perfect.
brichman

Post by brichman »

In that case it looks like i'm all set then :)