79 GE diff no centre

Ask other members technical questions here, if your after a certain answer/result have our members help you.
79GErallysig

79 GE diff no centre

Post by 79GErallysig »

Hi guys i recently aquired a 79 GE sigma sedan (its a old rally car)it had no diff centre in it but didnt find out till i got it home.The centre comes out from the front are all sigma diffs the same id like to get a diff with about 3.7 to 1 to 4.00 to 1 gearing.Iv'e been told that L200 diff centres go in to these housings can someone help me.
C_Fernance

Re: 79 GE diff no centre

Post by C_Fernance »

Early GE's had a drum brake jap diff before going to the borg warner. If it is one of these early drum brake jap diffs it takes an 8 bolt centre. These aren't as strong, but 3.9:1 diffs are relatively easy to find as the Galant and Lancer centres will bolt in. If someone has fitted an 8 bolt disc brake diff out of a GE Scorpion then the same applies.

Alternatively, someone may have fitted a larger 10 bolt diff out of a GH Scorpion. These are stronger, and centres are easily available however most will be 3.3:1 ratio.
79GErallysig

Post by 79GErallysig »

thanks just went and had a look it's a 10 bolt so it's out of a GH scorpion thanks mate.Ill get some pics up soon for us all to cry about it's pretty bad(bad rust all over the hole rear end and rear lower part of both front guards but its comon on the front guards there :Dok see u guys later thanks for ur help
Superscan811

Post by Superscan811 »

There are other ratios for these diffs.
3.9:1 is common in the manuals.
3.3:1 is usually found in the auto's.

Cheers.