Twin mikuni/solex downdraught help

Ask other members technical questions here, if your after a certain answer/result have our members help you.
hengagc75

Twin mikuni/solex downdraught help

Post by hengagc75 »

So acquired these some while ago apparently "completely refurbished" but don't think that is the case.. upon installing them found one of the jets can literally be pulled out with my finger and that they are getting flooded for some odd reason :/
The car sound like it wants to fire up but is just getting bogged down for some reason, the fuel isn't burning. Pretty sure I have it all set up correctly now thinking it may be electrical? Anyone have any tips or suggestions? Sorry if this may seem hard to understand as I am unsure of how to word it :facepalm:
tubby

Re: Twin mikuni/solex downdraught help

Post by tubby »

i just fit a set of these to my 2.6 scorpion. they ruined my life for two weeks mine are flooding with too much fuel on acceleration. i think someone has swapped in accelerator pump bits from a standard mikuni carb and they are pumping in too much fuel. try limiting your accelerator pumps and see if it changes things
'81 GJ Scorpion, '87 GN Panel Van, '77 Sigma sedan
hengagc75

Post by hengagc75 »

I've been trying to start it by hand as the throttle cable isn't connected. How did you fix your problem?
tubby

Post by tubby »

post some photos of your linkages and we will have a better guess at what is going on
'81 GJ Scorpion, '87 GN Panel Van, '77 Sigma sedan
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

Is this any help?
http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=2655

I really need to get some instructions up here on how to set them up.
hengagc75 wrote:The car sound like it wants to fire up but is just getting bogged down for some reason
Sounds like the carbs are not in sync.
Disconnect all of the linkages and then tune each carb listening carefully to make sure they both sound the same. I do this by covering the front and then the rear carb to compare.

Got any pics of the set up you have?
Do you have the fuel cut solenoid hooked up?

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
hengagc75

Post by hengagc75 »

I haven't gotten around to taking pics but here are some for now

http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.p ... ex#p111872

Yes the cut off solenoid is set up but not sure if its done right. Could you tell me how you have yours set up
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

The solenoid hooks up to the positive of the ignition coil, with a ballast resistor in line (I think from memory mine is 5 ohm).
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
hengagc75

Post by hengagc75 »

What colour is the positive? I'm quite sure I had it hooked up correctly
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

It should be labelled on the coil.
You should be able to here it click on and off when the ignition is turned on and off if it's wired up correctly.
Without that solenoid working, they idle like crap.