Confined space for eletric pumps

Ask other members technical questions here, if your after a certain answer/result have our members help you.
lance

Confined space for eletric pumps

Post by lance »

Read a thread on Hoon boys LC Hatch . He mounted and sealed his surge tank and pumps inside his 1/4 panel .
l am in 6 minds as to were to put my lift pump and main pump.
The question is... Wouldn't they get hot ???
And if not.... Could they be mounted in a smaller compartment ???
Billsy

Re: Confined space for eletric pumps

Post by Billsy »

i wouldnt worry about heat, id worry about it being the first thing to get split open in case of a side impact.
Insert witty one liner here -->
lance

Post by lance »

Not going in the Quarter panel .
Maybe a sealed compartment next to the spare wheel but l feel the pumps will need to be vented to the outside
to reduce generated heat.
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

IMO the fuel flowing through it will be more than sufficient to keep the pump cool (unless you do something really bright like mount it along the exhaust system route...) I can't see an immediate problem with placing a pump in a confined space as long as - it's not exposed to continuous vibration, is mounted securely, has adequate venting in case of a failure/leak and also a low point where fuel can also drain out of in the event of a failure/leak.
ozdusterdave

Post by ozdusterdave »

^^ Don't forget to mount the lift pump the correct way(if it is a facet type)..the feet need to be on the bottom.
shuggy

Post by shuggy »

My facet is upside down under my car what's wrong with that? It feeds my twin carbs solely no problem?
ozdusterdave

Post by ozdusterdave »

Mine was also mounted to the body,upside down for over a year running twin solex perfectly well.Then one day it started to get noisy and struggle to pick up fuel.It gave me grief for a week or two and finally died..replaced it with another cheap Chinese facet pump,mounted the same way for about a month and it sounded pretty much the same as the first one(terrible).Ended up buying the more expensive American facet pump,the instructions specifically warned to mount it the correct way up,with the feet at the bottom. Easiest/neatest way with the limited space was a piece of 90x90mm box section rhs,rubber mounted to the body and the pump mounted inside it.Pump seems a lot happier/quieter now.. :thumpsup:
lance

Post by lance »

Have chickened out on mounting the surge tank and primer pump. But l have packed down the tank with 60 x 10 rubber . This has given me room to run the fuel lines above the tank. At the moment l have a VL electric pump mounted beside the fuel tank . If l use the surge tank in the future it dose fit in between the tank pump and chassis rail and can be raised into position with the fuel line running above the tank .The lift pump was mounted
to the side of my surge tank ( on its side) so l may mount the lift pump on a piece of angle and mount it on its side. to the front of the tank were the fuel line come out of the tank