aircon removal?

Ask other members technical questions here, if your after a certain answer/result have our members help you.
nikmag2

aircon removal?

Post by nikmag2 »

is it hard to remove the aircon system from my gh sigma? its not working and I cant see me needing it down here in tassie!
shuggy

Re: aircon removal?

Post by shuggy »

2 ways.

1= cut the belt that runs the compressor

2= remove the compressor, hoses, radiator, condensor, wiring, evaporator, fan unit, and replace with a standard unit.

Id go with option 1
LukeAussie

Post by LukeAussie »

I'd also suggest option 1, as you can always look at fixing the a/c later on...

Also, keep in mind, most of these run the old CFC gas R12 (unless they've been retrofitted to the also bad R134a), which is technically illegal to release into the atmosphere. But perhaps more importantly, they don't make the gas any more, so it's worth reclaiming for future use (you'll need to talk to a fridgey or a/c mechanic to get it out)...

Of course, if the a/c isn't working, it's entirely possible there's no gas in there to begin with :-)
nikmag2

Post by nikmag2 »

cheers, i was thinking the car would be easier on fuel if it was removed, i suppose cutting the belt will do that too!
GJTurbo

Post by GJTurbo »

the a/c compressor has an electromagnetic clutch that only lets the compressor run when the a/c is switched on, its not using any more fuel than an idler pulley would