fuel tank question

Ask other members technical questions here, if your after a certain answer/result have our members help you.
BlueThunder

fuel tank question

Post by BlueThunder »

Is there anyone around who has cut his/her fueltank open? I'm wondering how those baffle plates are installed in mine as i want to install an in-tank fuel pump if possible...
Scorpma82
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Re: fuel tank question

Post by Scorpma82 »

To save your own head (quite literally) take it to a professional who will crack the tank open for you.....you will have to pay, but you'll live long enough to see inside the tank!
Built with pride, Driven in anger
BlueThunder

Post by BlueThunder »

Scorpma82 wrote:To save your own head (quite literally) take it to a professional who will crack the tank open for you.....you will have to pay, but you'll live long enough to see inside the tank!
Well, the idea is to use my spare tank, which is empty and vented by laying in the shelf for years now. I have a fuel pump but i'm still figuring out how i could install it in that tank before opening the tank. Once i know that, i bring it in to have the flange for the pump cut out of a tank i can't use and have that one welded in in the spare thank...

Of course i know that the vapours and fuel rests will ignite when you cut into the tank. I would fill it completly with water to avoid that...
lancersr20

Post by lancersr20 »

Blue thunder,

Have a look at my photobucket stuff with the link below.

It has pics of my swirl pot for my fuel injection - that I built into my original tank.

Any questions - just ask ..... but it's in the car so I can't take it out to lok at etc...

Lindsay
amgis_obrut

Post by amgis_obrut »

take the tank to a radiator shop and have them steam clean it, it will be right to cut/weld then

how I did mine, about half down the page
http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.p ... &start=210
GH Sigma, 16" Mesh wheels, sports steering wheel and a V8 exhaust
mrelshauno

Post by mrelshauno »

I have a good mate with a radiator shop and he repairs fuel tanks. To neutralize the vapours hook a hose up to your exhaust and then seal that onto the tank (that has been removed) and leave the car running for 20 - 30 minutes and you will be good to go but to be honest something. Like that is best done by professionals.
BlueThunder

Post by BlueThunder »

Thanks guys!

Well, the flange for the pump is now cut out of the Galant GTI/GSR tank and welded in into the Celeste tank. Now the tank is in a shop to have the pump/pump bracket modified and to have the tank tinned. While the tank is cut open to have it tinned, it's also easier to fit the pump.

Cheerz
Sven