speedo sticks randomly at 100

Ask other members technical questions here, if your after a certain answer/result have our members help you.
theozsnowman

speedo sticks randomly at 100

Post by theozsnowman »

not sure what the problem is but the speedo in the blue GH scorpion was randomly sticking at 100 and the only way to sort it was to tap the front of it a few times and it would suddenly work again...

anyone have any ideas what would cause this and how to resolve? according to my GPS it was showing the right speeds thru the ranges just this random intermittent sticking is a bit of a pain...

id prefer not to replace the speedo unit itself if i can help it as its original..
My 1980 GH Scorpion Restoration Project - The Oz Snowmans Scorpion - Meet B1 and B2 - The Grey Ghost
geezer101

Re: speedo sticks randomly at 100

Post by geezer101 »

I'd be pulling it out and trying a squirt of a lube spray like WD40/CRC. Don't use anything like a dry lube spray as it will probably make it worse (you could use the dry lube on the odometer gears as the nylon wears out and fails) but don't go mental with the stuff as you don't want it flooding into the speedo face and discolouring it.
theozsnowman

Post by theozsnowman »

hmm thanks for the idea... i will give it a try... the dash is coming out this weekend anyway so i can clean up the mess caused by the old dash pad.. so will take a look then
My 1980 GH Scorpion Restoration Project - The Oz Snowmans Scorpion - Meet B1 and B2 - The Grey Ghost
Billsy

Post by Billsy »

my old siggy used to do the same, it would stick just over 60 and would stay there till you got to about 75 before it went up.
i replaced the speedo (and the 330,000 ODO) with a newer one. problem solved
Insert witty one liner here -->