Weber Downdraft on GJ scorpion. - Help

Ask other members technical questions here, if your after a certain answer/result have our members help you.
Erik

Weber Downdraft on GJ scorpion. - Help

Post by Erik »

Hi everyone,
I've started this thread to find someone/people to help me complete my carby conversion on the old astron 2.
I've got the downy weber 32/36 DGV (came off 2.0l gemini + new filter), got a rebuild kit just in case ($250 quote for rebuild),
got an adaptor plate for the motor (off ebay). So basically i've got most things ready to go i just need to know
-What did people do for the linkage kit (throttle)
-how did people find the fuel lines connection easy/diff etc
-My scorp already has a manual choke installed, will this be ok to use on the weber (or is a case of put it on and find out)
I'm just trying to get as much info as i can before i get stuck into it and any helpful advice is gladly appreciated.
Thanks
guylant

Re: Weber Downdraft on GJ scorpion. - Help

Post by guylant »

post some pics of the carb manifold and engine bay
Erik

Post by Erik »

I have not taken the standard carb off yet but i can give you some pics of the engine bay.
also this is the adaptor plate that i got from ebay http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/WEBER-CARBY- ... 1191077026
it should do the trick.
im interested in the process of linking everything up and experiences with the throttle/choke cables Ie do i need some custom made or can the scorp stockie work.
Cheers
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

The pic isn't much help :lol: You're putting the DGV on a 2.6 Astron 2? I don't think you're going to make any improvement if the current jetting on the Weber is to suit a 2 litre. The DGV can make unlock some good power gains if it's jetted and tuned right (it gets used a bit on Holden red six engines which is the same capacity as the Astron 2.6) I got a pic of one installed on an Astron - Image It's a pretty straightforward set up.
Erik

Post by Erik »

Yep its going on a 2.6 astron 2 once i fully understand what it takes, I understood that i had to get the jetting suited for 2.6l. Anyway what linkage kit did you use because i'm just trying to find out if i need to get one from weber supplies or if i can make it work with the stock. What did you do?
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

Sorry but that isn't my car. The linkage and return spring looks like a bodge job on this set up. The linkage twists anti-clockwise on the primary throttle shaft to open the throttle as opposed to the Mikuni carby, and is pulled by the accelerator cable from underneath with an off the shelf spring for a return. This particular DGV carby had an electric choke on it too (might be a DGAV, can't remember...)
Erik

Post by Erik »

This is a picture of the carb

The linkage kit is not needed from weber im told because of the universal one now fitted (big circle thing with holes)
I think i just need to fork out $250 for rebuild (maybe, if it leaks fuel), and another X amount of 100's for the install/jetting to 2.6l.
The things we do for cars....
webby

Post by webby »

Looks like a monkey made it with a hand drill, but if it ain't broke..
I reckon between me, you and Dad we could have the carb rebuilt for the price of the kit, depends on how soon you want it done though as you'd need to bring it out.
-Josh.
Daily: 7/96 EF Falcon, 4.0 SOHC, BTR95LE, 3.45:1 LSD/Lukey extractors, full 2.5” exhaust, EL intake, Tickford snorkel, 87DA cam, AU injectors, shiftkits.com.au single stage kit. PB 14.93@91mph.
Project: Red '81 Scorpion-http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=11889