HALP ME PLEASE

Ask other members technical questions here, if your after a certain answer/result have our members help you.
bruggz351

HALP ME PLEASE

Post by bruggz351 »

I'm puttuing an aftermarket boot release in the GJ.
Everything seems to be going ok but, how the hell do you remove the switch blanks in the dash???

The rectangle one....

cheers
'82 GJ GSR Silver (family heirloom):)
84GKSIG
Admin

Re: HALP ME PLEASE

Post by 84GKSIG »

step one - that knob which adjusts your dash intensity pulls strait off, grab it and pull towards you

step two - if its not been touched from factory you will find a plastic nut which dosent look like a regular bolt around the outer shaft of the rheostat, use long nose pliers to unscrew it

the surrounding plastic bezel then needs to be pried out from the top first ( leaving action ) to avoid snapping the bottom clips if the plastic has gone brittle.

the little plastic bit you want to replace with a switch almost falls out, just pull right out.

when reassembling it helps to stick your hand behind the dash and hold the rheostat body while putting the bezel and doing the bolt back up ( will save you from loosing it behind the dash and going mental. :thumpsup:

pics when your finished :thumpsup:
bruggz351

Post by bruggz351 »

Thanks man. Was so easy once I knew how eh..

Got the little buggar in there... :)

... and this is where I mounted the solenoid...

... just have to run power to the switch, switch to solenoid and hook the cable to the lock mech. I'm going to try the hole for the return spring first, though I dont think I have enough leverage there. If not I will modify the lever further up. I'll post picks when I'm up to that stage..

cheers
84GKSIG
Admin

Post by 84GKSIG »

thats a beasty looking solenoid, whered you get get kit from? the button looks pretty close to being period correct as well :P :thumpsup:
bruggz351

Post by bruggz351 »

It was a cheapy off fleabay... :$

$0.99 and $9.95 postage...LOL :lol:

I hooked the solenoid up to the battery and it pulls like a 14 yr old.
The switch is cheap, hope it lasts for a while at least... but this will at least get things happening until I can get better quality...

cheers