Strut sizes for GE Sigma

Ask other members technical questions here, if your after a certain answer/result have our members help you.
Speedy88

Strut sizes for GE Sigma

Post by Speedy88 »

Hello! I'm looking at lowering options for my GE Sigma. The back end looks easy and I'm sure I can get something to fit. For the front, there's a place near me that makes up any spring you like so front springs are certainly not a problem.

However, I've done some searching on here and there seems to be a bit of confusion of which inserts will fit into the front struts. Some posts on here say GJ ones will fit but this still leaves me with a problem with aftermarket parts. In the UK laws state that the springs must re-locate after jacking a car up so shorter struts are a must if I want the car to be legal. I'm going to start looking at common cheap shocks for VWs/Fords that won't cost me the earth but before I do that I should really know what sort of size I'm looking for.

Does anyone know offhand the size of the strut hole for an insert to go into? I'm assuming I can use the original top mounts with maybe just some minor modifications needed - a hole is a hole is a hole. I'm happy that I might have to shorten the strut but I'd rather not if i can.

Second question: Is there a direct swap that will fit?

Thanks in advance, I had a good search but there was no specific options for the GE or the GD galant.
Speedy88

Re: Strut sizes for GE Sigma

Post by Speedy88 »

Also I'm really impressed with the design of the front strut setup - 3 bolts and it comes off the knuckle assembly? Awesome, it took me a whole weekend to lower the Volvo last year because I had to faff around with balljoints etc. It means that coilovers will be much easier than I thought. Winner (H)
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

Hey mate.. From what I've found, a coilovers kit is the way to go. Then grab yourself some galant/sigma (they're the exact same) king springs and voila! I'm not 100% on this, but depending on how much you shorten it.. The commodore blisten inserts fit.. What's the equivalent of a Holden commodore over there?? If there's any?

And sorry, I don't have an answer to your other question.. But the width might be 54mm?? Not too sure though.

Thanks,
Mick :)
N/A ALL THE WAY
Speedy88

Post by Speedy88 »

This shape?

Yeah, we have those - it's the Vauxhall Omega :thumpsup:
A112H

Post by A112H »

Hey Speedy88, have a read through pages 2 and 3 of my build, all the info about my coilovers is in there :)
http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.p ... 2&start=30

This thread will also be of use;
http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=3522

I have since changed my insert to Holden Camira as they are shorter than the Commodore inserts so I can go a bit lower without bottoming out. The Camira was also called Isuzu Aska, Opel Ascona C and Vauxhall Cavalier. I am sure you can locally source inserts for one of these??
Speedy88

Post by Speedy88 »

Yeah I can get Cavalier inserts. Are you saying the standard insert is short enough? That's mad if it is. Nice n easy swap and I imagine the front end is a similar weight :thumpsup: I think Cavaliers are 1200kgs from memory.
A112H

Post by A112H »

Good news. If you are planning on making you struts into coil overs then buy the inserts before cutting the strut tube, then you can make sure you cut to the correct length to suit your selected inserts.
If you are using stock length strut tubes you will need the VB to VP model Commodore inserts and gland nut. I am not sure it the suspension is the same in the European cars but the VB-VL Commodore is based on a Opel Rekord-Senator and the VN-VP Commodore is based on the Opel Senator B and Opel Omega A.
I guess you should be able to get the inserts from one of these Opels from a breakers yard and see it they match up?
Alternatively they can be bought for reasonable money on ebay and have them shipped over.

Commodore;
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2-Front-Gas- ... 518wt_1271

Camira;
Couldn't find any on ebay but they are still available new
http://www.pedders.com.au/catalogue
Camira
1984-1989 JD & JE Sedan
Front Shocks
8746 Pedders Cartridge
Speedy88

Post by Speedy88 »

The annoying thing about the UK is people just assume that old cars should be chucked away. I'll be lucky to find one of those in the scrapyard. However, those commodore shocks you posted are very reasonable, makes sense to ship them over at that price.
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

Thanks jase :)
N/A ALL THE WAY