Woodgrain door trims Sigma NOW COMPLETED!!!!!

Post anything that is to do with exterior or interior of a vehicle here.
Scorpma82
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Woodgrain door trims Sigma NOW COMPLETED!!!!!

Post by Scorpma82 »

Hey guys.....some of you are well aware, i'm slowly creating a custom woodgrain trim from scratch to fit into a sigma.

Just thought i'd put up some pics to see how i am heading

Lemme know what you think

the pics are in various stages of progress which i apologise for...but i'm sure you can work it
Last edited by Scorpma82 on Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Built with pride, Driven in anger
Benharjon

Re: Woodgrain door trims Sigma

Post by Benharjon »

Interesting idea and looking great, with the right stain this could add tat luxury touch! Great job mate cant wiat to see it finished! :thumpsup:
Cheers Ben
Scorpma82

Post by Scorpma82 »

Yeah thats the idea.....The Super Saloon never looked like a 'luxury' car with the same interior as the SE (+ a few more features)

So hopefully this could add the lil bit extra......have it compete against the Caprice's and LTD's :P
GSRSYNDROME

Post by GSRSYNDROME »

looking good mate keep up thr good work
:)
love them save them drive them
bruggz351

Post by bruggz351 »

Interested to see where this goes... :thumpsup:
'82 GJ GSR Silver (family heirloom):)
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

Very interesting?
So the plan is to make the rest of the door trim out of wood as well?

I am doing something similar but different with my wagon build.
I will be using GA/B Galant door trim tops, and then making the door card (flat card only because of the GA/B door trim tops) out of carbon fibre. (GA/B sedans share the same door trim shape as GA/B/C/D wagons)
Image 14 in this pic shows the door trim top in black and the door card itself in red. It''l make door card construction easier, and also give me a black trim line to continue through the whole car.
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
Scorpma82

Post by Scorpma82 »

Yeah 75 im planning to do the door tops, steering wheel, gear knob,window winders (replace the coloured plastic to woodgrain).....just to give it that (hopefully) luxury appeal with black velour........the chances are, i'll chuck in some chrome pinstriping just to brreak up the colouring.

I've have actually (somewhat) completed the door top............it's been rushed so it full of imperfections.....but its shaped the way i like and stained so i can at least see what the colouring wood (hehehe get it?) look like against the black

I'll put some pics up very shortly
Scorpma82

Re: Woodgrain door trims Sigma NOW COMPLETED!!!!!

Post by Scorpma82 »

Hey guys....as the titles says.....the 1st door trim is completed (N.B. this trim is far from perfect...it ended up being a rush job in terms of sanding and staining.....so all the imperfections are still rather apparent.....but at least it doesnt show you the look i was aiming for.......hope u guys like it...lemme know what you think....

ddt

Post by ddt »

I like it :thumpsup:
What colour will the door cards be?
'Member's Rides' Link for LIL RED WGN: http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=4742
bruggz351

Post by bruggz351 »

Very British eh...

But I like early Bentleys and Jags... :thumpsup:
'82 GJ GSR Silver (family heirloom):)
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

bruggz351 wrote:Very British eh...

I was thinking more Triumph 2500S myself.
ddt wrote:What colour will the door cards be?
Same here, what are the door cards themselves going to look like? Or is that it?

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
crystalmeths

Post by crystalmeths »

bruggz351 wrote:Very British eh...

or dolly sprints (triumph Dolomite sprint) had the same woodgrain colour :thumpsup:
ISKA8

Post by ISKA8 »

hey buds,looking at one of those pics i see a sh@# load of calipers ?? what do you do if you don't mind me asking? (anything to do with brakes lol)
1984 SIGMA GK GSR (was EFI TURBO 10psi 194.0kw atw ) N/A head & cam
*1991 VN SS 5spd...HI COMP HEAD & CAM
2004 MITSUBISHI EXPRESS BIG RIG MOBILE DETAILING 0414017857!
MY NEW TOY F6310
Scorpma82

Post by Scorpma82 »

believe it or not, the Dolly Sprint (thanks to UK Top Gear) was the inspiration....hence why it has a very British theme to it.....not mention thats about as far as my skills go with woodwork lol (also, only have basic tooling and and pretty much just winged it tho whole way....like all my other lil projects lol)

As for ythe door cards, they were 3mm MDF with 2mm underlay and black velour wrapped over thee top.....this particular door will more than likely just be destroyed as it only used as a trial.......I'll more that likely make the in multiple peices so i can run some chrome pinstriping (in the same location as the factory Sigma cards) but have it sit flush with the fabric.......but that would essentially be the final look.

As for the calipers.....i'm trying to start up a brake business......it hasnt really gotten anywhere (mostly due to lack of advertising, funds..and therefore interest)......I used to work for PBR for a number of years...so i've accumilated a heap of of information......but without any funds to begin with...its hard to turn info into a profit
ISKA8

Post by ISKA8 »

Scorpma82 wrote:As for the calipers.....i'm trying to start up a brake business......it hasnt really gotten anywhere (mostly due to lack of advertising, funds..and therefore interest)......I used to work for PBR for a number of years...so i've accumilated a heap of of information......but without any funds to begin with...its hard to turn info into a profit
hmm yeah buds i know how you feel..do you have any calipers for holden for sale? im happy to get something rolling.......?
MY NEW TOY F6310
Scorpma82

Post by Scorpma82 »

not really

but a holden what?
Commodore?
Kingswood?
Torana?

Unfortunately, brakes are one of those 'modifications' that are never high on the agenda

Usually ppl spend money on an engne coz they WANT more power.....brakes are improved because they NEED more (braking) power
ISKA8

Post by ISKA8 »

Ive got a vn ss but im currently running the vx clubsport 2spot hubs,rotors & calipers looking for something a little bigger?
MY NEW TOY F6310
Scorpma82

Post by Scorpma82 »

Part number B862-373
B862-374

They are VT-VZ HSV calipers....run slightly smaller pistons (2 pistons per caliper) and marry upto 330mm rotors

They are used in Factory HSV's and also in the PBR P-series brakes kits........

But personally...i dont like the VT conversion....the brake master cylinder is too small for the calipers.....hence why u more than likely noticed the pedal travel is much greater than before
ISKA8

Post by ISKA8 »

Scorpma82 wrote:Part number B862-373
B862-374

They are VT-VZ HSV calipers....run slightly smaller pistons (2 pistons per caliper) and marry upto 330mm rotors

They are used in Factory HSV's and also in the PBR P-series brakes kits........

But personally...i dont like the VT conversion....the brake master cylinder is too small for the calipers.....hence why u more than likely noticed the pedal travel is much greater than before
your right on the money there buds..i have noticed the pedal difference is bigger but also they have better stopping ability then my standard ones..do you have any bigger calipers to sell and to suit my application? or even some sound advise on which way i should go for optimized braking without breaking the bank. :P
MY NEW TOY F6310
Scorpma82

Post by Scorpma82 »

i'm guessing ur already using slotted rotors and performance pads????

If ur not using them, i'd DEFINATELY get steel braided lines made up (the commodore guys will tell u what u need exactly) and also some high performance fluid (i've got DOT 4 racing fluid in the garage that i can sell if u want)....this will essentially make ur brakes a bit more effecient.

Have u done anything to the rears??????

I just so happen to have a set of second hand HSV calipers sitting in the garage (brand new pads) that i'd get rid of........they are damaged a lil bit on the fins (they were test units)but internally are spot on. I just need to know the distance between the mounting holes...whether it is 77mm or 97mm (non-IRS and IRS but ican remember which is which)

The caliper is exactly the same but is made wider to fit a ventilated rear rotor.
(standard rear rotor is 280mmX10mm solid, HSV is 280mmX20mm ventilated....so u can still run stockies in the rear ;))
ISKA8

Post by ISKA8 »

Scorpma82 wrote:i'm guessing ur already using slotted rotors and performance pads????

If ur not using them, i'd DEFINATELY get steel braided lines made up (the commodore guys will tell u what u need exactly) and also some high performance fluid (i've got DOT 4 racing fluid in the garage that i can sell if u want)....this will essentially make ur brakes a bit more effecient.
yeah buds im using the vz 330mm front crossed drilled and slotted and for the rears im running the single piston vx clubby brakes with i think 280mm slotted rotors..Im running some really good Hawk performance pads..
Scorpma82 wrote: just so happen to have a set of second hand HSV calipers sitting in the garage (brand new pads) that i'd get rid of........they are damaged a lil bit on the fins (they were test units)but internally are spot on. I just need to know the distance between the mounting holes...whether it is 77mm or 97mm (non-IRS and IRS but ican remember which is which)

The caliper is exactly the same but is made wider to fit a ventilated rear rotor.
(standard rear rotor is 280mmX10mm solid, HSV is 280mmX20mm ventilated....so u can still run stockies in the rear ;))
Im really after a set of calipers bigger then what im running atm,seems to me that your referring to the same sort of calipers im running? i dont really mind not running stockies as im running bigger wheels and have a 17" spare..PLUS IVE GOT 18' stockies..hahaha
im looking at running something along the line of a 4spot calipers with a 343mm or bigger rotors etc....
MY NEW TOY F6310
Scorpma82

Post by Scorpma82 »

yeah thats pretty much what i was heading towards......they are C6 Corvette calipers.........

theres heaps of options there with the size.......HSV genuine, Herrod, Harrop, JHP, XYZ, AP Racing, Wilwood, etc etc etc.......

Unless this is purpose built racecar.....going with brakes THAT big, aren't really necessary

I used to have 6 piston calipers front/4 piston calipers res with 355mm rotors all round on my Fairlane......

This was by far the best braking system you'll find on any car......it was really that good.....problem was, no other car behind me could brake that well so there was always two options for me
1) I deliberately overshoot MY braking point....which means i was never using the full potential of my brakes
2) I let the guy behind simply cannon into the back of me
ISKA8

Post by ISKA8 »

Scorpma82 wrote:yeah thats pretty much what i was heading towards......they are C6 Corvette calipers.........

theres heaps of options there with the size.......HSV genuine, Herrod, Harrop, JHP, XYZ, AP Racing, Wilwood, etc etc etc.......

Unless this is purpose built racecar.....going with brakes THAT big, aren't really necessary
its not a race car but was going through some brake fade when under heavy breaking on the track days..was heading towards the harrop style 4spot fronts and 2spot rears or something like that with 343mm rotors or slightly bigger? do you have anything like that around ? what if i use something like an evo,sti etc brembo 4spot caliper can i modify it to suit my application?
Scorpma82 wrote:I used to have 6 piston calipers front/4 piston calipers res with 355mm rotors all round on my Fairlane......
This was by far the best braking system you'll find on any car......it was really that good.....problem was, no other car behind me could brake that well so there was always two options for me
1) I deliberately overshoot MY braking point....which means i was never using the full potential of my brakes
2) I let the guy behind simply cannon into the back of me
haha yeah i know what you mean,ive got a fg f6 with the brembo 4spot fronts and there bloody great could just imagine your setup would have been awesome.
MY NEW TOY F6310
Scorpma82

Post by Scorpma82 »

nah i got nothing like that im sorry........i stayed away from that purely for the reasons i mentioned before (that and cost)

personally, it'll be most likely be cheaper to just buy bigger brakes that suit the commodore rather than modding something off another car.
ISKA8

Post by ISKA8 »

thanks alot for all your help and info mate,much appreciated..thank again! :thumpsup:
MY NEW TOY F6310
Scorpma82

Post by Scorpma82 »

easy done