Budget Roof Lining

Post anything that is to do with exterior or interior of a vehicle here.
smithdavidjames

Budget Roof Lining

Post by smithdavidjames »

Hi All,

Just thought I'd share because I'm quite pleased with the result... My head lining began to sag some time ago and I stapled it up with a view to getting it relined in the future but that never happened because I have little cash to layout so I though to myself why not just spray paint it...

Method - remove head lining from car, rip of old lining, sand down until all dust is gone (used an orbital sander with a 3m paint stripping pad), degrease & wash down (pick a hot day), hang it from you washing line, spray paint multiple thin coats (can take a few coats as head lining corky board absorbs paint a bit), leave to dry, reinstall. Total cost $10 for 1 can of spray paint (bought the good stuff) 1 can just did roof lining.

Optional - Go crazy and spray paint whole car interior...

Material of backing board gives a nice tortoiseshell look

Kinda looks a bit Lord Vader with the read lights...

Also a bit of topic but NEW CARPET YAY!!

mstrrab1992

Re: Budget Roof Lining

Post by mstrrab1992 »

buy heaps of paper
get ur daughter to draw pictures on them
or ur son
if u have netiher get someone elses to
the stick those to the roof :D?
All Animals to the Crow: Your not a zoo animal!
Monkey to crow:your just jealous cause noone says "mummy mummy i want to see a crow!"
smithdavidjames

Post by smithdavidjames »

Cool, Papier-mache hadn't though of that, plus would give the kids something to look at on long trips. Go one step further and put blank paper up there and give the kids long pencils so they can doodle as you drive, potential for getting stab in the back of the head is high but hey wheres the fun without pain. Didn't expect thread to go this way but keep the ideas coming!!
brendon

Post by brendon »

my housemates lined the roof of both his cars with those race track kid carpet mats...kinda cool

similar to above.
another mate just drew pictures and stuff (he can actually draw well) all over the lining and got anyone who rode in the car to contribute. It actually looks and came out pretty cool
83' GJ wagon
82' GK Scorp (Track car)
08' Turbo territory
mstrrab1992

Post by mstrrab1992 »

see my idea is epic
All Animals to the Crow: Your not a zoo animal!
Monkey to crow:your just jealous cause noone says "mummy mummy i want to see a crow!"
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

You could've sanded off all the foam lining from the panel, picked some new material and spray bonded it on. Spray bond is cheap enough and dead easy to use (about $20 for a can, then get 2m of material) Another idea is pick some contact adhesive with a pattern or even that fake carbon fibre film! Cool idea basis SDJ! :thumpsup:
A112H

Post by A112H »

:\
Scorpma82
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by Scorpma82 »

I really like that black "Lord Vader" look!!!!!!! It looks very smart!!! Is that just vinyl paint u've used on the console and over head pieces???

I actually went to Spotlight, bought 2 metres of brown velour (i originally had the tan coloured vinyl roof) for about $30..and a tin of spray-on adhiesive glue (also from Spotlight) for about $10.

Then I removed the the roof lining and very carefully peeled off the lining from the actual moulded board...cleaned it up...the layed the velour on the roof (unglued).

Then i folded back one half of the velour and sprayed on the glue approx 20-30cms at a time and gently laid the velour over piece by piece till the end...then did it to the other half.

For under $50 and about 4 hours work......it really did look very smart.....certainly not a professional job.....but very impressive for a DIY project....
Built with pride, Driven in anger
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

The roof lining in the gastra (my ghastly astra) did what so many roof lining's have done and peeled from the back so I had a go at recovering it with vinyl and spray bond, but found the spray adhesive wouldn't hold the heavier upholstery vinyl... So I bought a bottle of PVA glue and squirted it liberally onto the panel, pressed the new vinyl down onto it and squeezed out the excess glue/air bubbles. I found doing it out in direct sunlight made the vinyl more pliable and allowed pressing it into the panel profile way more successful-
After I was happy it was staying put (it took ages of pressing the vinyl to stretch it and squeezing out the glue) I let it cool in the shade, trimmed the excess vinyl off and installed it-
Last edited by geezer101 on Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Scorpma82
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by Scorpma82 »

well done mate......that looks tops!!!!!
Built with pride, Driven in anger
sandystonea

Post by sandystonea »

Hi, New from Melbourne and this time hard to fix the kids rugs. Although pictures are very clear but still fail to take the exact measurement!
Protect Animals