Where to mount fender mirror on a LB/LC

Post anything that is to do with exterior or interior of a vehicle here.
Cottees
Admin

Where to mount fender mirror on a LB/LC

Post by Cottees »

Before you say "on the fenders, duh!", what I mean is, where exactly on the fender. Does anyone have the measurements of where they should be mounted? I have a 1980 Celeste service manual, but there is no references to any kind of side mirrors.

Here is a pic of stock fender mirrors on what would be an LC here in Aus.
75wagon
Admin

Re: Where to mount fender mirror on a LB/LC

Post by 75wagon »

Sorry I have to ask this question.
Why is everyone so obsessed with fender mirrors atm?
Think about what a bastard of a job it would be to adjust them if you don't have someone helping you do it?

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

For me, it looks a little different, while keeping a stock look. It also gives it a bit more of an old school Japanesey look. Also, I want to return my LC to stock, and at the moment it has after market mirrors. If I am going to change them, I might as well go with fender mirrors. I also think they suit the early lancers.
kenvv

Post by kenvv »

i like fender mirrors. id say at a guess the new uprising of ke70's into drift australia has encouraged the new fender mirror craze. as a cheap alternative of a drift car its one of the easier and cheaper mods to make yourself noticed as a type of modified "jap car" enthusiast as apposed to the the everyday corolla or whatnot driver.

i doubt it would make a huge difference if they were out by a few cm. just drill where ya want like i did or if they original, take them off and find the original holes and drill them out
vrooooom vrooooom!!
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

kenvv wrote:i doubt it would make a huge difference if they were out by a few cm.
Probably not, but I'd rather have them at the 'stock' position, and if I am wrong, fenders for the LC would be hard to source. I do have a spare set, but would rather keep them as a spare for as long as possible. I'll keep researching, if not, I'll just use photos of Celestes with the fender mirrors as a guide.
Hotwire

Post by Hotwire »

if you got it wrong, surely its only 2 bolt holes which could easily be welded up?
A112H

Post by A112H »

I just took a punt with mine, looked at a few pics and drilled some holes. I think they look about right.
Most of the old school pics the mirrors line up with the leading edge of the front wheel arch and thats where I put mine :)

Also, in the style you are after they come in either cable remote and electric operation so you don't have to get out or have someone else adjust them.
davetrees

Post by davetrees »

Just be aware that in Australia it's most likely illegal to mount them there, for pedestrian safety reasons (which is why they weren't fender-mounted here in the first place !) They will also give you cr@p visibility compared to door-mounted mirrors.

Personally, I would sacrifice some "70s JDM coolness" for safety .....
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

Most of the fender mirror are spring mounted, so the mirrors wont get hurt when a pedestrian hits them. It would the same as a pedestrian hitting one of the door mirrors.
BlueThunder

Post by BlueThunder »

I think i might have a drawing on which you have the measurements of the Celeste/ LB/LC hatch. With a few of those measurements you can calculate where it should come. I'll try to find/scan the pic later on ok?

Greetz
Sven
A112H

Post by A112H »

Cottees wrote:Most of the fender mirror are spring mounted, so the mirrors wont get hurt when a pedestrian hits them.

:lol: :lol: :lol: Thats the funniest thing I have read on this site for a long time :lol:

Fender mirrors are legal if factory fitted. I am pretty sure the cops have more things to worry about than mirrors. The reason I have mine is for the purely JDM spec look I am going for and I think they look cool.
As for following a craze, I bought mine almost 5 years ago and they are genuine NOS 8-)
77galantv6

Post by 77galantv6 »

jason is correct, if they were a factory option they are legal
'77 Galant V6....

1977 Galant with Commodore V6 conversion.

davetrees

Post by davetrees »

jason is correct, if they were a factory option they are legal
True ... if they were a factory option in Australia. I'm not 100% certain the ADRs of the time didn't allow them, but it would be worth checking to save grief at RWC time.
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

I have never seen them as an original option sold in Australia?

To me that means one of 2 things.
1. they were illegal here?
or
2. they didn't think they would appeal to the Australian market?

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
Hotwire

Post by Hotwire »

when it comes to legality of parts, yes if OEM then legal IF released in au. for example the XY gt shaker is legal,, whereas aftermarket scoops are illegal. however when looking to older import vehicles when brought into au, the must comply with the ADRs of the period of release, thus compliance required on imports. Therefore it would be a matter of checking the ADRS that applied in the 70s and I think you'll find they are quite likely illegal.

That's the basic version anyway
webby

Post by webby »

Meh. If you get defected just swap them for the door mirrors, get it cleared and put them back on?
Personally, I never had visibility problems with the fender mirrors on my old R30. You just have to get used to them, and make sure they're properly adjusted.
Edit: if they're electrically adjustable make sure you get that working too, it'll make your life 746453728292038473928474 times easier
-Josh.
Daily: 7/96 EF Falcon, 4.0 SOHC, BTR95LE, 3.45:1 LSD/Lukey extractors, full 2.5” exhaust, EL intake, Tickford snorkel, 87DA cam, AU injectors, shiftkits.com.au single stage kit. PB 14.93@91mph.
Project: Red '81 Scorpion-http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=11889
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

I'll probably do more research before putting them on. It would be just my luck though in SA, my LC will be stock standard, looking mint, and I'd get pulled over for the fender mirrors, while a smokey shite box gets left alone.

Like this car seems to be allowed to stay on the road without problems:
tubby

Post by tubby »

I think at the end of the day the police officer on the side of the road is not going to look up any of the factory options on the side of the road, even if they could.
they will either defect you or wont. so do it or don't, is my opinion. more than once I have heard of people doing hours of research to prove their mods are legal only to be knocked back 'cos motor reg was having a bad day. Just put them on and if you get pulled over be nice to mr. police officer.
'81 GJ Scorpion, '87 GN Panel Van, '77 Sigma sedan
BlueThunder

Post by BlueThunder »

Hi Cottees!

I'm sorry for the delay but here it is: http://www.flickr.com/photos/blue_thund ... otostream/

As far as I can see it you have to take the distance from the front of the car to the center of the front wheel (850mm) minus the distance from that center to the face of the mirror (260mm) but to have the correct distance for the hole you need to measure the distance from the face of the mirror to the center of the bolt of the mirror (x)

if i'm not mistaking it's 850-260 - x

and Dave, i like those mirrors too, in fact i also want to put them on mine if i find a set :p

Cheers
Sven
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

BlueThunder wrote:and Dave, i like those mirrors too, in fact i also want to put them on mine if i find a set :p
I'm not saying I don't like them. I think they would be a bugger of a thing to live with is all.
My mirrors get bumped all the time, and I'm always re adjusting them.
Unless these fender mirrors had some type of adjustment from inside the car, then I wouldn't touch them.
Adjusting your mirrors shouldn't be a 2 person job.

Dave...
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

BlueThunder wrote:I'm sorry for the delay but here it is:
Awesome! Thanks!
75wagon wrote:Adjusting your mirrors shouldn't be a 2 person job.
There should be enough room in the 'bullet' style fender mirrors to put in electric mirror gear. Once I get the LC paid off, I'll get a set and check it out closer.

It looks like the 'Type A' mirrors here are the same as used on the Lancers:
http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=6173
A112H

Post by A112H »

So like I said they should line up with the leading edge of the front wheel arch.
How many different drivers are you expecting to drive the Lancer Cottee's? I will be the only person driving mine so once they are set thats it. You can get the style you are looking for in electric.
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

I won't even let the tyre guys drive my GN. Mostly cause she was being difficult that day.
lancersr20

Post by lancersr20 »

Cottee, (my opinion only) those fender mirrors are horrible with a capital H :$

I'm trying to find some nice mirrors to replace the "very unstylish" standard mirrors that came on my LC.

Who in their right mind would put "round" mirrors on an otherwise very sharp square edged car ??? :\
I've found a mirror off a Stanza that will be much better (but it's a passenger side) and I can't find a drivers one yet :(

Any help or ideas appreciated !
leoca64

Post by leoca64 »

actually, when i attended the jap classic day here in brissie earlier this year , this fella had a rebuilt Datsun stanza.
The mirrors on mine are definately from one he said .(They came in a box as spares when I bought her)They rare great , chrome on metal AND sorta squarish though unlike the original circular LC ones if it had them...i think they were optional.