door keep open spring things

Post anything that is to do with exterior or interior of a vehicle here.
shuggy

door keep open spring things

Post by shuggy »

hey guys you know when you open your door on a slight incline, and your door stays open because the spring pushes on that grooved beice of metal againts the pin?

im talkin about a GC galant sedn here btw

well my drivers door doesnt stay open even on a flat road.. i know i am going to have to replace the parts but just a few things,

can i stretch the spring and then put it back in to give it more thrust?

can i file out the grooves in the piece of metal to give it more grab?

or do i just replace them both from GOD knows where... ?

cheers
75wagon
Admin

Re: door keep open spring things

Post by 75wagon »

shuggy wrote:or do i just replace them both from GOD knows where... ?
Take a pair of lower rear door hinges off a Galant and put them on the lower front. They wont be as worn out and they are the same part. The top hinges aren't the same as the back ones though.

Problem solved :thumpsup:

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
C_Fernance

Post by C_Fernance »

That's great to know Dave. Dad is after some hinges and I wasn't sure if I would have enough spares. He looked up the part numbers and knew the hardtops were the same as the sedans and wagons. But I don't know if he knew about the rears. I wasn't sure if I would have enough spares, but should be fine now.

Just went and looked up the part numbers.

Sedan and Wagon

Front Upper - MA165791
Front Lower LH - MB068983
Front Lower RH - MB068984

Rear Upper - MA165745
Rear Lower LH - MB068983
Rear Lower RH - MB068984

Hardtop

Upper - MA165791
Lower LH - MB068983
Lower RH - MB068984

It looks like all the (at least GC and GD) Galants share the same hinges for all doors on the same side of the car except for the upper hinges on the rear of the sedan and wagon.
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

Yeah, I was trying to work out the best way to get the tiny bit of play I had out of the hinges, they weren't bad just not up to the standard that I wanted for the car. And I figured that if I was painting it, it would be the best time to do it. So as I had a couple of spare sets of doors around I checked it out and perfect fit. :thumpsup: I was stoked ay? As back doors don't get used anywhere near as much as the fronts they are generally in top nick.

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
shuggy

Post by shuggy »

yeah i recently bought a GD parts book off ebay.. holy sheet its amazing..

shows every single nut and bolt and how it is assembled to every single part in the car, exploded diagrams of EVERYTHING.
astronturbo77
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by astronturbo77 »

on my coupe i pulled the hinge assembly apart and actually built up the little metal bits with hardened welding rods and reshaped them. they work better than new, then sand blasted them and painted.
BUILT NOT BROUGHT BY ALGIE.
shuggy

Post by shuggy »

i like that idea.

cheers for the advice!