Steering Boss Issues - Have a Look

Post anything that is to do with exterior or interior of a vehicle here.
A57C

Steering Boss Issues - Have a Look

Post by A57C »

bought one of those malaysia made bosses. ~10mm gap normal? :facepalm:

anybody know where to buy a better boss? looks like '70-'87 all use the same spline?

geezer101

Re: Steering Boss Issues - Have a Look

Post by geezer101 »

Yep, that is pretty normal. The sports wheel boss will fit a number of different models and there's variations in distance between the back edge of the boss and the steering column cover between models. But be aware that there are 2 different types of actuator mechanisms for the indicator release - one has a rotating plastic collar and the other uses rolled pins that are pressed into the rear of the boss.
A57C

Post by A57C »

thx geez
also i had to use an extra washer as the thread bottomed out on the spline... again that's normal i'm guessing? :roll:
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

Yeah but that one is more related to how much taper was cut into the boss - sometimes they cut too much taper and the thread protrudes past the base of the boss, or they don't cut enough out and the thread is short a mm or 2 (this is when it gets locked onto the upper column shaft and you nearly have to break your back pulling the thing off :@ ) Here's the wheel and boss I installed in my L200 - Image
As you can see the gap is about the same as what you're experiencing (I was using a SAAS branded wheel and boss and it was almost touching the column cover...)
webby

Post by webby »

My HKB boss has a sliding cover to deal with that problem, no gap here :thumpsup:
P/no. OM10, it's for a Starion according to the application listing but same same. Wasn't cheap though, cost me $90+$13 postage.
-Josh.
Daily: 7/96 EF Falcon, 4.0 SOHC, BTR95LE, 3.45:1 LSD/Lukey extractors, full 2.5” exhaust, EL intake, Tickford snorkel, 87DA cam, AU injectors, shiftkits.com.au single stage kit. PB 14.93@91mph.
Project: Red '81 Scorpion-http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=11889
A57C

Post by A57C »

thx webby! will order one of them up

oh and the cheapo boss won't hold the horn button in properly either :banh:
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

If the horn button is giving you grief I have a solution that covers a few bases - make an offset horn cover plate. Seems that most aftermarket steering wheels have the alarming tendency to let the cheap ass horn button pop out at you every time you look at it. Not cool... So I got an offcut of aluminium sheet and made this - Image
It eliminates the crappy horn button, puts it in a location where you can hit it with your thumb and has the added bonus of deterring the 'after hours aftermarket shopper' from stealing your wheel and boss in 30 seconds (they have to completely disassemble it, remove the button plate and reassemble it before being able to remove the whole thing) And you can customise it to look and fit exactly the way you want it to! :thumpsup:
Sigmaproject

Post by Sigmaproject »

I have had a couple of different wheels and bosses, but never had that issue.

A57C

Post by A57C »

geez that's an xlnt option. i'm always fumbling for the horn button and lose the moment :lol:

@sigproj yeah i never had a problem either until now
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

I made a spacer for mine out of high pressure PVC pipe (plumbing fitting), I went looking for a pic of it about an 1 1/2 hours ago, and got distracted.

The other way is to adjust the steering column. I just wanted to keep mine original so I could bolt the original steering back up to it whenever I wanted.

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
A57C

Post by A57C »

almost forgot there was yet ANOTHER issue with the malays boss... spline wasn't quite snug!
i can just imagine the boss wearing and breaking loose from the steering shaft :mad:

in sum:

1) ~10mm gap
2) spline nut bottoms out (needs spacer)
3) horn button pops out
4) not snug on spline
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

...sounds like a really crap quality item. If you lock up the retaining nut nice and tight it shouldn't go anywhere - but I'd be looking for a better item. :(
A57C

Post by A57C »

@sigproj thx much the made in japan HKB OM-10 boss is MUCH MUCH better
indicator cancel rods are in correct position
horn button fits snug

funny there's a cheap china knockoff of the OM-10
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product ... 50877.html

but somebody else can experiment if they want to :D
Scorpma82
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by Scorpma82 »

Sigmaproject wrote:I have had a couple of different wheels and bosses, but never had that issue.

Bosskits......................Adapting sports steering wheels to cars....like a boss!!!
Built with pride, Driven in anger