Need tips for fixing stiff window

Post anything that is to do with exterior or interior of a vehicle here.
75GC

Need tips for fixing stiff window

Post by 75GC »

Looking for tips to free up a stiff window on my GA Galant (left rear). I've removed the winder mechanism which seems to work fine, but when I try to push the window up manually it is very stiff. At a quick look I think the rubber/felt guides for the window pane are either pinching or dirty. I have some better condition rubbers from a donor car, but I'm concerned about installing them. Any tips for fixing this problem or installing the replacement rubber/felt surrounds would be much appreciated. Thanks!
geezer101

Re: Need tips for fixing stiff window

Post by geezer101 »

Hi 75GC. Having window winders that are putting up a fight could be as a result of a few things. One could be the window channels inside the doors have swelled from rusting (this is a common problem for a lot of cars of this age), window felts and rubbers being stuffed (obvious one...), the mechanisms' pivots are corroded up (if you pulled yours out and it is free than you can cross this off the list). Have a go at removing the door trim and spraying dry lube into to inner window felts/rubbers while the window is up (so you don't squirt it all over the glass as it's a PITA to get off) and see if that makes a difference. :thumpsup:
75GC

Post by 75GC »

Thanks for the tip. I'll give the dry lube a try first. Can't see obvious signs of rust, but I guess it could be hidden. I'll update if it fixes the problem.
75GC

Post by 75GC »

I did try the dry lubricant (graphite for locks) and it helped mariginally, but still quite stiff. Decided to leave it as is for a while. I think the rubber seal is pinching somewhere as it moves down when I wind the window down. Maybe I could try gluing the rubber seal in place to keep it still.