Aftermarket Seats into GD Galant (seat rails?)

Post anything that is to do with exterior or interior of a vehicle here.
VGJONO

Aftermarket Seats into GD Galant (seat rails?)

Post by VGJONO »

ok so i may or may not have already managed to fit an aftermarket seat into my galant, the only good way to describe my rails is "ghettoed"as a friend of mine has said. now the only issue is the seat is a touch too high and im not exactly a fan of how sturdy the seat is.
so i was wondering where have people sourced their seat rails from as it would probably be safer if i just bought a pre made set.
75wagon
Admin

Re: Aftermarket Seats into GD Galant (seat rails?)

Post by 75wagon »

What seats have you got?
Got any pics of them?

I fitted older style Recaros into my wagon, the seats I have have the rail mounting points the same distance across the seat as the standard Galant rails, so all I did was drill holes in the rails to suit. The Recaro's I have, use bolts to mount, I used one set of existing holes, and drilled the other 4 to suit.

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

I have a cheap $300 set of SAAS seats, the rail bolt holes are 350mm apart on them where as the standard seats are 400mm, im pretty sure i am just going to sell these seats on as for a bigger guy like myself they are as uncomfortable as all sin :roll:
ive tracked down a second hand set of cheap autotechnica's that im looking at aswell as a set of reco'd recaro's, the recaro's are a bit out of my price range though. the reason for my sudden seat swap is that the frame in my original seat is twisted.
ill put pics up of the seats later, and if i remove the seat ill also put a pic up of the "ghettoed" seat rails for a laugh
davetrees

Post by davetrees »

Another option ... especially if the hole spacing in the seats is narrower than the stock ones ...

Get 2 strips of 6mm x 50mm aluminium of appropriate length, bolt them between the stock rails, then bolt the new seats to those. Easy to do, cheap, and doesn't significantly lift the seat higher.

I had the seats in my rally car mounted this way, until I went to side-mount seats.

FWIW, the OBX "Daytona" race-type seats have the same hole spacing as stock galant rails too (GA/GB rails, anyway)
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

yeah thats what i have done to these seats but the actual bottom of the seat is 2 inches taller than your standard galant seat, that and my steel strips are 400x150 strips of 3mm check plate with a bolt through the centre and a 150x150mm square to strengthen the mid section :facepalm:
A112H

Post by A112H »

I love those seats Dave. Been looking since I saw yours but haven't seen any come up :(
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

here is a pic of what is visable of the "ghetto" seat rails :facepalm:

geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

...oooh, defect-a-mundo. Cops will love seeing that bit of backyard in-jun-ear-ring. :ban:
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

yeah, especially being in Queensland, pretty sure the cops can smell defects up here :lol:
mrelshauno

Post by mrelshauno »

Some satin black paint will minimise the dogs balls.