Vinyl spray for interior

Post anything that is to do with exterior or interior of a vehicle here.
hengagc75

Vinyl spray for interior

Post by hengagc75 »

I'm really wanting to make my interior black on my gc galant. Just wondering if the vinyl will stick for long because I don't want to be ruining good condition seats!! They are a faded
white but don't have any rips.
geezer101

Re: Vinyl spray for interior

Post by geezer101 »

It will stick but if you want it to last you'll need to treat it like you are spray painting. The seats have to be super clean (no dirt or grease embedded in the grain of the vinyl) and light applications of the spray to build it up gradually. A good quality vinyl spray will penetrate the seat material - so once it's on it's never coming off. If you want to restore the white vinyl interior give it an epic clean with something like 'Jif' bathroom cleaner (the liquid cream stuff), give it a wipe over with warm water to remove the residue and then hit it with a cheap tyre shine and rub it in to restore the vinyl's 'plasticity'. 8-)
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

As geezer101 states super clean is needed.

I personally wouldn't vinyl spray seats (or anything else that sees a lot of wear.

Door trims yes.
Dash panels yes
Console yes
But seats???

Just so you know, you can buy vinyl spray in 1 litre cans that you can spray through your spray gun (if you have one).
I have a philosophy, that anything that is paint, that comes out of an aerosol can is generally poor quality.
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

I know where you're coming from Dave, it's not a great solution recolouring a seat especially black on white. The black spray on the side bolstering will wear thin pretty quickly. I've used vinyl spray on dashboards (crash padding, glove box and instrument surround) and inner door handles too and they have held up pretty well - but a seat? Not so sure
Scorpma82
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by Scorpma82 »

yeah i'll agree with geezer on this.......dunno if i'd trust paint on a vinyl seat....particularly when it's a scorching hot day
Built with pride, Driven in anger
hengagc75

Post by hengagc75 »

Yeah that's what I have been thinking.. Anyone know a place I can get actual interior fitted or where I can buy good material?
Scorpma82

Post by Scorpma82 »

auto upholstery shop....maybe marine upholstery shop

I usually go to Spotlight for materials....but any good textiles shop could help you out
brendon

Post by brendon »

what about cloth seats sorry for the hijack
83' GJ wagon
82' GK Scorp (Track car)
08' Turbo territory
Scorpma82

Post by Scorpma82 »

what about them??, u wanting to paint them a different colour, or u wanting new cloth?

Either way, my answer be the same as it was for vinyl seats
brendon

Post by brendon »

brendon wrote:what about cloth seats sorry for the hijack
new seats for my range rover, they'll be grey/black, rest of the interior is buckskin (light brown) so i was thinking of spraying them
83' GJ wagon
82' GK Scorp (Track car)
08' Turbo territory
Scorpma82

Post by Scorpma82 »

i wouldnt spray them.........as an option, u may be able to get the fabric dyed in the colour u want....but again, i wouldn't trust it in a 35 degree day....also, the labour cost to strip the seats, dye the fabric and re-fit.........may not be worth ur while....maybe quicker and easier to just get the seats re-upholstered.....but u never know.......if its 2 or 300 dollars cheaper, maybe an option to look at