Mitsu-Mech's UK '78 SigMR GE

Post your build topics here! This is for restorations only.
DriveBy

Mitsu-Mech's UK '78 SigMR GE

Post by DriveBy »

Call it fate, karma or just a simple plan. For some reason when cruising the net for a fix of J-Tin I came across this ....

http://sucksqueezebangblow-juice.blogsp ... sigma.html

WoW :P so sick and the fact it was a 4 door sedan just made me like it even more. Problem was I hadn't seen a Sigma or any old Colts coming up for sale in a long while. With the boom in retro scene cars it was becoming harder to find or even buy any 70's or 80's japanese cars here in the UK. I searched for more on this car and found several posts by the current owner on RetroRides forum's in the UK and was shocked to see it was for sale or at least had been. At first for over £4000 :o and later for a little less.
BOOM! A week later i'm checking ebay for cars, parts etc. filling the time while my Fiancee was at work. :| and there it is for sale on ebay £600 ono, the engine and gearbox had now been sold and the wheels(SSR Mesh) were for sale seperately. Within an hour I'd cut a deal with the owner and a deposit was sent!

I arranged to collect the car in a week or two and despite being thwarted by work commitments I finally made the trip, swung by and picked her up on route to Japanese Auto Extraveganza car show...

I wasted no time in the early hours of the morning fitting my SSR MKIII's which I already had for my Laurel. a wash and a clean and all I was missing was a box of tissues.

Oh and yeah I might have still been missing an engine but we improvised for the weekend.....

Sapporo beer what else :D

Amazing weekend and feel very lucky to have a GE in my fleet. keeping the momentum up and getting ready for a busy winter before next season. I kept my eyes and ears opend and have bagged a Sapporo turbo engine and box....

...and an Eclipse engine which I've bought just for the head.

Now I just need too get rid of the other jobs in my way and I'll get busy banishing the remaining rust and getting some real fire in her belly. More soon I hope.
Last edited by DriveBy on Wed May 22, 2013 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ddt

Re: '78 Sigma GE for Mitsu-Mech

Post by ddt »

I didn't realise this car was now engine-less and up for sale -the previous owner was on this forum up until very recently i thought...
'Member's Rides' Link for LIL RED WGN: http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=4742
DriveBy

Post by DriveBy »

Yeah I'd seen that and I'm still looking for a drivers door window glass if anyone in OZ or NZ can help out?

Shame the original 4g5 was gone but I'll try to go much further to improve her body condition and also bring something fresh under the hood and throughout without spoiling he brutal charm and good looks.
A112H

Post by A112H »

Great buy, didn't realise it had been parted out or was even for sale. Seems like it is in good hands now and you have hit the ground running, looking forward to seeing it progress :thumpsup:
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

The previous owner more than likely dropped the ball after being unable to get driver's door glass. Someone elses loss is another man's gain... It's a tough looking ride, keep us posted on how it progresses DriveBy :thumpsup:
ghuphill

Post by ghuphill »

:thumpsup: :thumpsup: SSR MK111 one of my favorite wheels.
crystalmeths

Post by crystalmeths »

DriveBy wrote:Yeah I'd seen that and I'm still looking for a drivers door window glass if anyone in OZ or NZ can help out?

Shame the original 4g5 was gone but I'll try to go much further to improve her body condition and also bring something fresh under the hood and throughout without spoiling he brutal charm and good looks.
I'm sure there are some windows on ebay cheers Chris
DriveBy

Post by DriveBy »

Yeah I've seen a couple on OZ eBay but they wouldn't ship to me in the UK. I may have to advertise for a charitable Sigma-Galant member to help a brother out for a small fee :$

Should be plenty getting done over winter, soon as I get rid of my bro-in-laws golf shell in a week or two, I'll be able to post more progress. Thanks for the kind words and encouragement.
DriveBy

Post by DriveBy »

Not even 24 hours after I picked her up and put on my SSR boots. It seems she's grabbed the attention of UK japanese tuning magazine BANZAI :$

Guess I've got alot to live up to come next season
DriveBy

Post by DriveBy »

Another piece of the puzzle arrived yesterday, lancer EX Turbo rear end (H) This and a few other little odds n sods mean hopefully come January I'll be able to really crack on with the restoration and fabrication work.

Getting excited now :D
partyboyjay

Post by partyboyjay »

on route to Japanese Auto Extraveganza car show
planning on going next year!

good find buddy! looking forward to seeing the progress!
Scorpma82
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by Scorpma82 »

didnt some of these EX Lancer's run IRS???
Built with pride, Driven in anger
A112H

Post by A112H »

Yep but they were called Starions, lol
DriveBy

Post by DriveBy »

haha he's right you know lol

partyboyjay wrote:
planning on going next year!
Yeah I'll be there only missed 1 year in the last 6. Want the Sig running by easter as I need to spend time on my celeste, starion and my fiancee's starion over the summer.
partyboyjay

Post by partyboyjay »

mmmmmmmmmm celeste, like to see some pics of that! :P :thumpsup:
BlueThunder

Post by BlueThunder »

:stupid: :p
DriveBy

Post by DriveBy »

:lol: I thought I had an old thread on here with it in but appears not to be the case.

This is it on JNC.

http://japanesenostalgiccar.com/forum/v ... =6&t=10935

Being self employed has meant I have been able to get little done this past year BUT I have been seeking and collecting parts needed for when I do get the time to dig back into her. After the Sigma is done then it's going to be time to toss a coin to see if the Celeste or my Dat get done next. provided I get the time that is :banh:
partyboyjay

Post by partyboyjay »

LOVING IT CHRIS!!!!

definately this! no coin toss! this is the car that needs to be finished!!!

That interior is amazeballs!!! now i wana buy that celeste on ebay!!!
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

The interior of your hatch is in awesome condition! The Celeste/Lancer hatch is a great little car. Looks like you've got a good collection of rides :thumpsup:
DriveBy

Post by DriveBy »

Cheers guys for the kind words. Got the tin just need the spare time now :banh: Head/bang/wall
Speedy88

Post by Speedy88 »

Ahh! Didn't realise it was you that bought this one. Glad to see it in good hands - I believe that we're the only 2 with ones in this colour? There's another one that was spotted at the metro center meet but it's slightly different in colour:

There's also a slightly rusty blue one around somewhere, I believe that's one of the ones on the road as well as one spotted by a mate in Swansea in the darker brown. I guess that accounts for all of them then? :lol:
DriveBy

Post by DriveBy »

That pic surprised me when you posted it Speedy as a ble one sold recently from the north east too making 3 in the area at the time :o
DriveBy

Post by DriveBy »

Alot of haters for Valentines day but when your Fiancee buys you engine parts you know she's a keeper :thumpsup:

Easily worth cooking a meal and a few pressies for her when I get an Evo 8 inlet manifold in return :D

Pretty sure late head is the way I'm gonna try first as I've got a spare Evo 4 head here I can port out and weld up the water ways just sat on the shelf ...

....that and a box full of turbos, throttle bodies and bits of this n that Evo. Even a rocker cover. Just on sourcing a loom this week and still need a right hand engine mount as the seller I was supposed to get a pair from just sent me the rubber mounting bushes and not the bracket I needed.

Got 3 customer resto jobs to get out of the way then I should be able to to dive into the Sigma propperly. In the meantime I'll just keep amassing the rest of the parts on my list.
A57C

Post by A57C »

haters for valentines?
Speedy88

Post by Speedy88 »

Yes, many people hate the corporate side of valentines. For example me and the other half don't bother with it as the point is you should be nice to and buy things for your loved one if you like them anyway, not just because everyone else does on a certain day.

Look forward to seeing progress on this, we need to do a photo side by side when both of our siggys are finished :thumpsup:
Scorpma82
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by Scorpma82 »

I'm surprised it's not a public holiday...From what I understand, it's a worldwide 'event'....much like Xmas and Easter
Built with pride, Driven in anger
Speedy88

Post by Speedy88 »

I'll do the same thing you did. Any progress on this yet dude? :thumpsup:
DriveBy

Post by DriveBy »

Haha Not as much as I'd like as I'm starting on with the task of building a new reception area and stores at work which because of the timber and upheaval has put almost everything on hold. Been having a clearout too so its all a bit of a mess really while the place is in a state of flux.
I have however still been accumulating parts for the Sigma.

Pair of EVO 8 MR cams,
Evo 8 MR loom,
MAP sensor and another throttle body,
Engine mounts,
Gear lever,
Coils.

I'll be having a big move around in the workshop later this week to accomodate the building work so I'm hoping I may be able to make it easier to get to the Sig and start mocking up and putting in a schedule for work on her. I know I really want to have her on the road or at least running to take to Japanese Auto Extraveganza in September. Maybe by then we'll have some sun over here! :think:
DriveBy

Re: Mitsu-Mech's UK '78 SigMR GE

Post by DriveBy »

Has it really been 6 months! A whole show season with very little time for my own cars but finally last night I got to make a good start on the mocking up on the SigMR

A trunk funk of parts that keeps growing is only fuelling my need for some workshop self love :lol:

Poor girl has been waiting in the queue

The Sapporo turbo donor I found is the base for my first incarnation as I intend to use a Evo 8 block and one of Bill's fine bell housings eventually.

A quick teardown

....and in she goes.

Sitting the late model Evo 6 head on the block is easy as when the blocks changed they just faced 180 degrees and they line up perfectly the only problems are with water gallery locations which can be welded up and not cause any excessive ill effects.

It's not a well thought of swap but I can only presume that's because many people are scared to try it.

Take a look at here....

http://projectzerog.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=898

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/custom- ... ybrid.html

Anyways seeing as I had most of the parts in the workshop and the Sapporo turbo engine and box make for an easy and cheap fit for a "Mark 1" build I'm quite excited to try this and see what results I get. Even if I end up suffering heat soak problems or otherwise. I will still by then have the Evo 340MR wiring, fuel, cooling and piping installed so making the jump up to a full Evo 8 block and supra box a much more manageable step.

The pulleys served no other purpose but to fuel my stoke at this point :lol:
DriveBy

Re: Mitsu-Mech's UK '78 SigMR GE

Post by DriveBy »

Oh and clearance looks great at this point too

:thumpsup: :thumpsup: :thumpsup: