Barana's L300 4wd +2.6 conversion

Post your build topics here! This is for restorations only.
barana

Barana's L300 4wd +2.6 conversion

Post by barana »

Gday all, Ive had a few requests to show all about my 83 SB L300 resto/conversion to 4wd and getting rid of the 4g62 and putting in an injected 2.6 out of a TR Magna.
Yeah I know its not exactly a l300 forum, but all the l300 forums are weird american/canadian sites that want to tinker with their 'old l400 deisels', besides ur the best most informative mob out there, as well as being aussie too.Thx for letting me join :)

I have a few plans...

for now a few photos!

The TR magna donor being loaded onto the scrap merchants truck - it was a manual wideblock.
I picked this vehicle up with a mate,(who brought his boss' D plates with him , after purchasing it on ebay. for erhem $500 :oops:
A well, it has a good hydraulic tappet M6 head (hemi) and fuel inj computer and wiring.
barana

Re: Barana's L300 4wd +2.6 conversion

Post by barana »

Next are photos of the 4wd Chasis donor car , This car had a recently reconditioned 4g63 2L and 5sp (wideblock), had reportedly never been up the beach the front diff was used often enough, and the pricve was right - $150
funny, I was saying to a coworker, whilst we were digging in the soil picking ginger - what I'm wanting now is a l300 4wd that has never been up the beach, the body is rusted out - so i can get it cheap has been used enough to keep it alive and is a 5 sp.My co-worker turned slowly towards me with a wry smile and said, 'I have one' Thank God for that, twas really easy picking up this piece of the puzzle.

BTW if anyone wants to buy a wideblock SOHC 8v carb 4g63 ill let it go. Or even a swap for something i may need in the build like... idk, a gas system or something..

And the last one, the l300 deisel (4g55) that i used to roll the 4wd's body off .I connected a snatchem strapto it and drove forward.

Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

barana wrote:Yeah I know its not exactly a l300 forum
True, but as the description in the title bar, "Mostly older Mitsus and Chryslers", so your L300 fits into that category. Most of us are car people, and I know I am interested in the pics of the naked L300. Something I haven't seen yet.
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

Well, you've actually come to the right place barana. If you do a search you'll find someone has already got a build thread on installing a 2.6 in their L300 van (RWD only though). There is a bit of fabrication work and fiddling around to get it in there but it can, and has, been done - same as any engine swap.
77GDWAGON

Post by 77GDWAGON »

Awsome had one of these for 15 years, Lifted suspension,big tyres ,snorkel etc. It had over 350,000kms on the original 2.0 motor and was still going strong. Went every where in this, was a great car. Wish i hadnt sold it
1977 GD GALANT station wagon owned since 1988
Scorpma82
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by Scorpma82 »

I noticed that the magna was resting on top of a fridge......did the car have an overheating problem??? :P
Built with pride, Driven in anger
l30026004wd

Post by l30026004wd »

geezer101 wrote:Well, you've actually come to the right place barana. If you do a search you'll find someone has already got a build thread on installing a 2.6 in their L300 van (RWD only though). There is a bit of fabrication work and fiddling around to get it in there but it can, and has, been done - same as any engine swap.

Hi I came across your post while looking for wiring diags. I have a 85 l300 4wd fitted with a astron 2 motor. Kit was originally supplied by Gossies Conversion from Newcastle area. I still have original instructions if any one wants a copy. Main points needed are

move radiator forward and down
raise body by 2" else motor rubs on seat base
engine must match up to bell housing. i think it has to be an auto
existing sump must fit block with flange all round
power steering pumps needs new bracket
Adaptor plate to use existing distributor
alum block to raise steering relay on chassis

probably a few other minor mods
I originally used the astron 2.6 but added 2.6astron 2 head at last rebuild

my current problem is to repair broken wiring on the 4wd/hi/lorange switches on transfer case. wiring cracked and broken while gearbox in for 3rd rebuild due to staked nut on output shaft coming loose again. This is acommon pajero/l3004wd problem

Does anyone know a permanent fix? Loctite /welding/2nd locknut???
regards