My 1972 A53H Hardtop

Post your build topics here! This is for restorations only.
Benharjon

Re: My 1972 A53H Hardtop

Post by Benharjon »

Well its time i got started so this morning i decided to investigate some of the poorly repaired damage on the RHD rear quarter and strip down the engine bay for prep and paint...

As you can see the rear qtr was terribly repaired as expected and is going to require a reasonable amount of straightening... Ideally i would replace it but that's impossible at the moment so just going to have to do the best with what i have!!!

Lots of fun ahead! at least the LHD side is original and straight!
Cheers Ben
A112H

Post by A112H »

WOW, there is a fair bit of work there. Good luck with that, lol.
Keep an eye on Yahoo Japan and Trademe, I have seen them come up before.
Benharjon

Post by Benharjon »

Cheers Jason, yeah its pretty poorly repaired... i am unsure how i will tackle it yet so we will see...
I should be able to pull out the bigger dents but because they have creased the panel by trying to straighten it from inside the boot with something pointy some of it will be tricky! And the double panel around the wheel arch is always problematic...

I will definitely be keeping my eye out and if necessary i will do the best with what i have for now and find another qtr panel 'one day' and replace it later...

I just want the car on the road so I can cruise with you guys so if its not perfect this time then so be it!

I did have a question for you and Mike - What did you guys do carpet wise ? (if you have replaced them...)
Cheers Ben
A112H

Post by A112H »

I used Knox Carpets and I think most people on here have but I was pretty unimpressed. It really didn't seem to fit anywhere, to big and baggy over the tunnel, doesn't fit in the foot wells and so on.
After summer I will be getting it redone professionally.

Anyway, this is the link for GA/B
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/MOULDED-CARP ... 19ccd8d107
Benharjon

Post by Benharjon »

Cheers Jason i will check it out... :thumpsup:
Cheers Ben
A112H

Post by A112H »

Any news Ben, any progress?
Benharjon

Post by Benharjon »

Not as much as i would like... Just waiting for a friend to fab a new rhd door skin section and then we are going to have a look at the rear quarter. I am hoping to get stuck in in the next few weeks when the weather warms up slightly and the shed is more pleasurable... I am also finishing paint on my 66 corona so that gets a bit of my time at the moment! I will post some pics soon tho - i have the retrimmed dash and trims ready and unwrapped so will post some pics and it might inspire me to work harder :$

I did catch up with michael and had a good look at his hardtop so i am very keen to have mine on the road for some summer cruisin!!!
Cheers Ben
A112H

Post by A112H »

Good to hear, I am pulling mine of the road at end of rego in 5 weeks for some reno so should have it rolling by Xmas
Benharjon

Post by Benharjon »

Sounds good mate! what have you got planned? heart transplant? Keep us updated and hopefully we can all be on the road together come christmas! :thumpsup:
Cheers Ben
A112H

Post by A112H »

Yeah, heart transplant, new front panels, fit the LSD, paint the engine bay, fit the new front bushes, knuckles and ball joints I have. Not much really, lol

You made any movements on the hardtop yet?
Benharjon

Post by Benharjon »

Not really, just getting organised to cut a couple small plates to weld in the rad support and strut tower, once they are welded back in i will reassemble the front end and paint the engine bay...

Then it will be time for the important decision of power plant... I have a 2.6 of unknown condition, a four speed and some bits... I did pick up some efi parts as well today??? But not sure if that's the way i want to go... either way i still need a fair few more bits and pieces...

You ditching the astron and goin in a different direction?
Cheers Ben
A112H

Post by A112H »

Yeah, grabbed a couple of 63's to play with. Staying N/A but think I should see 140rwkW with the right tweeks. You looking for a quick Astron, pm me.
Benharjon

Post by Benharjon »

Sounds pretty awesome! :thumpsup:
Cant wait to see how it goes when ya done, hopefully i can still keep up lol!!!
Cheers Ben
Benharjon

Post by Benharjon »

Hey guys, well looks like i might be moving overseas in December so I may have to sell the coupe... I don't want to but maybe easier to find one in the USA when I relocate! So if anyone is interested hit me up and we can have a sus... I dont really know what it's worth or what I want so make an offer... Never know ya luck! Cheers guys
Cheers Ben
A112H

Post by A112H »

I got first dibs, lol
PM Sent
GalantGC

Post by GalantGC »

I hope someone buys it, that car deserves to be restored.
Cheers Pete.
Benharjon

Post by Benharjon »

Dont worry i wont sell unless i have too!, i wanna see this car finished even if its not by me... See what happens ;-)

I will chuck a for sale ad once i know for sure unless jase ends up with the car, but i will keep you guys posted!!
Cheers Ben
A112H

Post by A112H »

:thumpsup:
Benharjon

Post by Benharjon »

Well seems as the sale is postponed until absolutely necessary i have resumed putting the car back together...

Refitted the loom, seats (GA Sedan ones :( ), and door trims...

Most of the panels have been bolted back in, i chucked my old enkei evolutions on it, and i am picking up a 4g32 on Saturday...

So hopefully it will be moveable under its own power by Sunday night?

I will post pics over the weekend!
Cheers Ben
Benharjon

Post by Benharjon »

Pics as promised... progress is slow :$

Cheers Ben
Benharjon

Post by Benharjon »

Well progress continues!!

I have acquired almost all the required parts to complete this beast :D
Including some awesome help from Mike and a friend I have a complete GA front and radiator and booster/master!! I am almost ready to fit the 5 speed and then she will be mobile under her own MOTORvation.

I have started board filing the shell ready for some repairs then it will be primer, and paint and DRIVE!

Cannot wait... Back to work! :P
Cheers Ben
A112H

Post by A112H »

Love the low back bucket seats, they are very much of the era. Can't wait to see this thing up and about, you and Mike will have to cruise to my place to help finish mine, lol.
Once they are all running we should organise a Mitsubishi 2 door meet, get our 3, a few Scorpions, Craigs fastback Colt would be an awesome cruise and make some great pics up at Skye or something
Benharjon

Post by Benharjon »

Yeah love the low backs! (H)

Sounds awesome, i am always up for cruises and working on mitsi's!
Two door cruise sounds pretty awesome too! Hopefully there is some summer left when all of us are on the road and organised! :thumpsup:
Cheers Ben