My 1972 A53H Hardtop

Post your build topics here! This is for restorations only.
Benharjon

My 1972 A53H Hardtop

Post by Benharjon »

Well i have had this car on and off(long story..) for almost 10 years, but sadly for the last 5 or so it has sat in a friends shed in a state of semi strippedness... The plan is to have it back together and on the road for summer (could be dreaming lol)! I got it back home today and i will post some pics tomorrow... I had previously had sigma turbo running gear but after an altercation with the 5.0 :$ I removed and sold all the turbo stuff, unfortunately that means i now have to hunt down a great deal of bits and pieces to complete the resto! Anyway i will get some pics asap, and some of the areas that will require my attention! I will also post a couple of wanted ads for the bits I need... Cheers Ben :D
Cheers Ben
A112H

Re: My 1972 A53H Hardtop

Post by A112H »

Looking forward to seeing the pics. Workout what parts you need and chuck an ad up in the wanted section, you will be suprised what people have hidden away, like a A53H for example, lol
Benharjon

Post by Benharjon »

Well i quickly emptied it and cleaned it a bit while it was out the front waiting for a space under cover (to be done this arvo jus waiting for a mate...) I was surprised it is not as bad as i thought it would be but definately needs resto! anyway pics... (sorry they are not awesome, only on the phone at the moment, cant find the digi cam...)

I did have to clear out some unwelcome passengers who have been squatting in the car and did not clean up after themselves!!! :@ Dirty Rats!

On an infuriating note the person who was gonna buy the car but never paid did take temporary ownership has removed the front seats (and disposed of them! :hit: ) and replaced them with some dodgy PWS Recaros... Not happy Jan! Maybe i will be lucky like A112H and find some on Import Monster :\
Cheers Ben
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

G'day Ben,
Wow you've got a job on your hands there?
How many of the parts of the car do you have other then what is in the pics?
These cars are rare as in Oz, They were pretty common in NZ though. Obviously some of the 4 door parts fit, like in front of the windscreen, but other will be hard to come by.

Looks like the shell is pretty reasonable, but many things can be hidden under paint.

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
Benharjon

Post by Benharjon »

Yeah rust wise it is pretty good (usual small bits and pieces), i slapped the red paint on about 10 years ago when i slotted in the astron turbo running gear but the police didnt appreciate it so i took it of the road and eventually sold off the running gear... I have probably 95% of the car except the running gear so should be ok to get it on the road!
The biggest problem at the moment is the rhd door which is cactus and full of bog... Luckily i have a friend who is fairly proficient with the sheet metal bender and should be able to fabricate a new skin!

I have a fairly good selection of bits...
I also have retrimmed dash, and new door skins (pics to come)...
Cheers Ben
Cheers Ben
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

Suddenly this is looking and sounding a whole lot better :thumpsup:
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
A112H

Post by A112H »

Incase you are looking, the doors are identical between the 16L's, GC/D hardtops and GTO's. Might make hunting one down a bit easier.
I think shuggy has some doors he was selling a year or so ago, don't think they sold. Might be worth a PM
Benharjon

Post by Benharjon »

Cheers Jason, will be Pming very shortly! :thumpsup:
Cheers Ben
davetrees

Post by davetrees »

Now that's a cool project ! Very jealous :thumpsup:

What style of dash does it have ? I assume it's the 16L-type like this (except RHD of course) ?

Do you have it's original gearbox still ? Just wondering what type it is .....
Benharjon

Post by Benharjon »

Yep thats the style, altho the original one is covered in fake woodgrain lookin stuff... However i have a spare set in black like the pic (much sportier!)

Unfortunately i do not have the original box, but it was auto... Dont even remember what type now (was 10years ago that i foolishly removed and sold it!)
It went surprisingly well for 1600 twin cam and twin sidies with an auto i remember that much... but only drove it home from the dealership where i got the car so maybe 20-30kms... Then it was out and converted to manual and 2.6 turbo... (dont blame me i was young... :$ )

Cheers Ben
Cheers Ben
A112H

Post by A112H »

1600 twin cam and twin sidies
And you sold this ....... NNNOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Benharjon

Post by Benharjon »

Tell me about it! i still cry myself to sleep some nights...
Cheers Ben
davetrees

Post by davetrees »

Benharjon wrote:It went surprisingly well for 1600 twin cam
Any idea where the twincam motor came from ? (They weren't a production item on that car ... even in Japan)

Where did the car come from originally, do you know ? The hardtops were never sold in Australia, so I guess it was a private import of some type, either from Japan or possibly NZ. Sounds like it has an interesting history.
Benharjon

Post by Benharjon »

Unfortunately i dont have alot of info about the car prior to me getting it, it was at the dealer for quite a while! i would say 5yrs plus... and it has a little side swipe damage down the rhd side so has obviously been repaired, except the door, which is knackered!

I dont know if the engine was fitted later or not and i dont remember checking the engine no on the block so couldnt check vs the rego papers...
So i cant say if it was imported with the motor or not... Altho it was very stock and not that well looked after so i wouldnt have thought anyone had done it up... dunno might have to attempt some research some how???

I am pretty sure it was imported by chrysler as part of the 5 cause it was first reged here in jan 72, so guess it was a 71 model? but must have been one of the first...

Cheers Ben
Cheers Ben
davetrees

Post by davetrees »

Out of interest ... what is / was it badged as ? I assume a "Galant 16L" ?

It may of course have come via NZ ...
Benharjon

Post by Benharjon »

Yeah i am not sure! it has had the front guards replaced so no badges there... and the grill didn't have one i don't think from memory... so a bit hard to tell for sure...

Is there any way of using the vin to track any information? the only id number on the whole car is the vin or body number...

it would be interesting to find any information out... wonder if i can email Mitsubishi Japan and see?? :think:
Cheers Ben
Benharjon

Post by Benharjon »

I did get some general cleaning and sorting done today and sifted through the junk...

I also looked through the interior and unpacked the retrimmed dash and doortrims! (pics to come)

I seem to have most of the car there to reassemble, but i did notice the original seatbelts are missing (which could be a problem...) and a couple of trim bits are looking ratty... but i did find some spare chrome and stuff so all in all pretty good...

I did also manage to find a complete GH rear disc setup and a side draft manifold so a couple a bonuses i suppose :)
Cheers Ben
A112H

Post by A112H »

Check Pentastar http://www.pentastarparts.com.au/ I got my rear seat belts and the front seat belt drop link (From roof to shoulder) from them, reasonable value.
davetrees

Post by davetrees »

Benharjon wrote:i did notice the original seatbelts are missing (which could be a problem...)
No, that's a GOOD thing ! They would be useless by now anyway, because the fabric deteriorates over time, even if they look OK.

Do yourself a favour & buy a set of generic rectractable belts .... you aren't keeping the car original anyway, and even if you were there's no point sacrificing basic safety for "period correctness" !
A112H

Post by A112H »

Drop links
http://www.pentastarparts.com.au/sunsho ... tail&p=268

Retractable fronts
http://www.pentastarparts.com.au/sunsho ... ail&p=1305

And rear non-retractable, I got two of these as mine is now converted to a 4 seater
http://www.pentastarparts.com.au/sunsho ... ail&p=1308

They do a centre belt too but I think your is a 4 seater anyway?
http://www.pentastarparts.com.au/sunsho ... ail&p=1310
Benharjon

Post by Benharjon »

Yeah my thoughts too Dave... Jason cheers for the links on a glance they look ideal! Have to check ya car out some time and see them in the flesh!

Cheers guys! :thumpsup:
Cheers Ben
GB_BB4C

Post by GB_BB4C »

A112H wrote:They do a centre belt too but I think your is a 4 seater anyway?
No they are a 5 seater, Tony (prevoius owner of mine) had to put belts in the back as they didnt have them fitted at all.

Car Parts Plus at Lonsdale go the drop links in for me, they can also get other seat belts aswell.
2* 73 A53 16L Dodge Colt (Plymouth Cricket), 2* 73 GB Galant Sedan's, 1* 74 GB Galant Sedan, 1* 76 VK Valiant Regal,
1* 79 GE SE Sigma Sedan, 1* 81 GH Sigma PWS, 1* 84 GK Sigma SE, 1* 85 GK Sigma GL - Replacing the 84 GK SE, 1* 91 GTO - FOR SALE

Benharjon

Post by Benharjon »

Yep mine has no rears, i will have to look in the morning for mounting points because i dont remember seeing any which could make it interesting...

Mike do you have any information on the 5 originals brought over by chrysler? ie year, vins etc
or know of anybody who might...

Jus wondering when they were brought over, and what happened to them... very interested in whether mine fits into the 5 or not...
Cheers Ben
GB_BB4C

Post by GB_BB4C »

no info on vin's etc...

from what i have been told the two i have are the two remaining from the 5.

2 cut up upon arrival for development/maiking of the GC/D
1 to Melbourne - Written off in accident
1 to NSW - the white one i showed you
and the Silver one that i am driving.

This is info from what i have been told...

Yeah, Tony had to put in some plates etc for the seatbelt's.
2* 73 A53 16L Dodge Colt (Plymouth Cricket), 2* 73 GB Galant Sedan's, 1* 74 GB Galant Sedan, 1* 76 VK Valiant Regal,
1* 79 GE SE Sigma Sedan, 1* 81 GH Sigma PWS, 1* 84 GK Sigma SE, 1* 85 GK Sigma GL - Replacing the 84 GK SE, 1* 91 GTO - FOR SALE

A112H

Post by A112H »

So if Ben's has no rear belts and is suspected to be a 1970 are we thinking his could be one of the 5? Maybe the one that was written off in Melbourne, given he knows it has been his fairly hrd, hard enough to need a new door, front guards and maybe bonnet?
GB_BB4C

Post by GB_BB4C »

anything could have happened, it has been 40yrs. there may have been more bought in, i dunno. just going by what i was told.
both of mine dont have belts, but have been put in one of them.

Benharjon

Post by Benharjon »

I am not sure it is a 70, could be 71...

Mine has definately had some panel damage from a reasonably crash a long time ago, but i dont know if it would have been a write off?? it has been repaired (not as well as i would like in some places...)

Is there a way to check if a vehicle has been repaired from write off status, or registered interstate?? I am pretty sure my rego papers say first reged in 1972 but not sure if that is SA or just OZ?

Mike does yours have any ID plates (pm if u prefer) cause mine has only a small one with the vin and a small amount of japanese text...

DO we know the colours or anything of the originals? i was thinking more likely maybe mine was used as a model - hence strange engine combo etc and may jus have never made it to the crusher?

Very intriguing... i do love a good automotive mystery/conspiracy... 8-)
Cheers Ben
davetrees

Post by davetrees »

GB_BB4C wrote:2 cut up upon arrival for development/maiking of the GC/D
That doesn't sound logical to me .... Why would they import & cut up two A53 hardtops in 1971/72, when :
- there were no GC/GD hardtops built in Oz - weren't they fully imported ?
- the GC wasn't "developed" here (just assembled, and in sedan form only .... and they had plenty of GA/GB sedans to play with !)
- the GC wasn't released here until mid 1974 (late 1973 in Japan, according to pics of brochures I have seen)

I think a more likely scenario is that they brought in a handful of A53 Hardtops to evaluate for possible local release - which would explain the lack of ADR plate as they would have come in on an import carnet and were meant to be either re-exported or crushed afterwards.

(Cars like this do have a tendency to "unofficially survive" ... I know of a couple of unusual Datsuns floating around that fall into this category. One is a model never released here, has no badges on it whatsoever, and has no Australian compliance plate. Officially it doesn't exist, but has been continously registered since the early 80s (H) )
Is there a way to check if a vehicle has been repaired from write off status, or registered interstate?? I am pretty sure my rego papers say first reged in 1972 but not sure if that is SA or just OZ?
Not easy for a car that old, I suspect (no computerised / nationally linked records system back then !) That said, a guy in our car club does VIN-tracking type work as part of his business. I can ask him if it's possible to do, if you like ?
i was thinking more likely maybe mine was used as a model - hence strange engine combo etc and may jus have never made it to the crusher?
Highly unlikely, I reckon. Even in Japan the Galant was never available with the DOHC motor. More likely it was transplanted sometime after in arrived in Australia. (There were a number of those motors floating around in the late 70s / early 80s as 2nd hand imports ... not as hard to find then as they are now.)

Some things that might help determine it's origin :
- is the speedo in km/h or mph ? (I think JDM cars would have had km/h speedos, but ones destined for eg. NZ would be mph ?)
- does the driver side mirror on the door look original ? (JDM cars would have had them on the front guards ?)
- if yours & GB_BB4Cs car are both from this same 5 cars that were allegedly brought in by Chrysler, one would think that their chassis numbers would be pretty close together ? It would make sense if they were a "batch" that came off the line together in Japan, especially if they had some minor mods done before being exported here as a special order.
Benharjon

Post by Benharjon »

Davetrees you are making some great logical arguements!

Unfotrunately because the right side has been damaged a long time ago i dont have the orignal mirror either (if i did i have long ago lost it :$ but i dont remember one either so...)

The speedo is km/h and it has low kms on it (but could have gone around...) but i know it wasn't driven in adelaide for quite a while when at the car dealership...

I have had a careful look at the car and i suppose it could have been a write off? damage to rear quarter, door, and front quarter... although nothing structural so... I guess if parts were rare enough and cost a bit it could have been??? When i strip the paint back i will have better idea...

Dave if you have friend who might look into it that would be great...
Cheers Ben
GB_BB4C

Post by GB_BB4C »

both of mine have MPH speedos and the silver one for sure had the fender mirrors as the holes have been covered over and door ones mounted.
as for the other one i would have to have a look at it again as it also had door mirrors, but may have had the holes filled aswell.
numbers may not be as close to one another ar you may think.
i know the white one is a GS and i think the silver is a GT as there are a few slight differences between them.