Josh & Chris' GE Scorpion rally car- Planning stage

Post your build topics here! This is for restorations only.
webby

Josh & Chris' GE Scorpion rally car- Planning stage

Post by webby »

Alright, this is just being talked about at the moment but both my brother and I are hell keen on the idea, so it's more than likely it'll go forward. Hence the thread.
We're going to take my white Scorpion, aka this:
And build a rally/autocross/other dirt events car. Chris (my brother) will be disappointed when I tell him this, but we're starting off stock with decent rally tyres and going from there. Best to start off simple and get as much seat time as possible than spend a shitload of money building a beast of a car and not being able to drive it to it's limits.

We're going to get started on this sometime in the next couple of weeks, AMSAG rules state that the car must be road registered so we'll do a quick resto before anything else. There are a couple of rust spots that need sorting (in the roof, bonnet and driver's door) and the interior's rough (dashpad is totally borked and the driver's seat is very worn), should be pretty simple apart from that. Weld up a few pinholes, quick lick of paint, reco draglink, new balljoints, new bushes, an unfucked dashpad, seat covers (or maybe the stock seats from my blue Scorpion, depends on if I can get grey cloth Starion seats w/rails in decent nick or not), drop in the 4G52 and Jap 5spd in the shed and put decent tyres on it and it'll be right to go for a blueslip.
Chris has this plan laid out in his head for a dedicated rally car with all sorts of fancy parts, Tilton pedal boxes, worked DOHC atmo 4G63+W58 conversions, Evo brake kits etc. He just doesn't seem to be able to grasp that it's part of the rules we're building the car to that the car HAS to be registered, and that neither of us would have the skill to drive such a beast properly in the first place :P

Anyway, I'll be honest; other than a lot of enthusiasm and a bit of knowledge on how the A12xA platform works/goes together neither of us have any idea on how to prep a rally car. Parts needed, setup, it's all double dutch to the both of us. So any help that any of you guys can give will be greatly appreciated :)
-Josh.
Daily: 7/96 EF Falcon, 4.0 SOHC, BTR95LE, 3.45:1 LSD/Lukey extractors, full 2.5” exhaust, EL intake, Tickford snorkel, 87DA cam, AU injectors, shiftkits.com.au single stage kit. PB 14.93@91mph.
Project: Red '81 Scorpion-http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=11889
damian

Re: Josh & Chris' GE Scorpion rally car- Planning stage

Post by damian »

mate, sounds like you're already halfway there.
the tricky bit is realizing what you have - start simple and work your way up.
the Stigma is uncontrollable now after its last rebuild, and I'm used to it!

we also took out a $200 festi festiva from gumtree.
rego.
second hand rally tyres
fire extinguisher
black bonnet
couple stickers
awesome fun - three mates drove it and absolutely loved it.

look for the blue festi with black bonnet sideways and on two wheels
http://www.flickr.com/photos/offwiththepixels/
gaz914

Re: Josh & Chris' GE Scorpion rally car- Planning stage

Post by gaz914 »

I built 2 x GJ Sigma khanacross cars (Sigma of Death I & II) on the very cheap.

My 'must haves':
power steering - so much quicker than the manual, on dirt you can do without the pump if desired.
front springs/shocks - self explanatory
race seat - so much easier to drive/control
thorough preparation - proper overhaul of brakes, wheel bearings, etc. lots of labour, not much cost.
safety gear - self explanatory

everything else is 'nice' to have.

IMHO, once you get this to a certain level, the next steps (power, diff, gearbox, suspension, brakes) makes it a big financial jump to get there - ie there aren't any 'bolt-in' options.
This for me means the value isn't there and other car options become viable.

But as far as a cheap-ish starter car goes, it will be a heap of fun :)

cheers
Gaz
Race car '72 GA Galant - aka Morgan (here now!)
Road car '73 GB Galant - completely stock and original
2nd car '80 LC Lancer Hatch - 4G54 EFI