2 door LA build-hillclimb car

Post your build topics here! This is for restorations only.
krohny

Re: 2 door LA build-hillclimb car

Post by krohny »

Alright.. Dash is back in, all lights and tacho working finally
krohny

Post by krohny »

Finally got around to putting the fuel pump in the boot, now I just have to put a cage around it and it passes roady apparently..
JimmyG

Post by JimmyG »

May be worth fitting a rubber sleeve around the two hose's where they go throungh to body. Vibration and time could cut into them and fill your boot with fuel. I would also seal the gaps that lead from boot to cabin as you now have fuel systems in the boot space.

Humans on fire = :(
Cars: 95 Wrx, 77 Galant, 73 Galant.
krohny

Post by krohny »

Yeah, I have the grommets at home already.. The boot is sealed off only by the seat and wooden panel, both which burn quite easily..
Will fit a metal sheet when time permits.

But cheers!
davetrees

Post by davetrees »

Have you got a filter in between the tank & the pump ? If not, then I strongly recommend you fit one ..... it's more important there there than between pump & carbs

Nothing worse than having the car grind to a halt because the electric pump has ingested some crud from the tank - they are less forgiving than mechanical ones (even the factory setup has the filter before the pump !)
A112H

Post by A112H »

Yes, yes and more yes you will need a filter between tank and pump as well as pump and carbs.
Also, go into your local air conditioner installer and ask for a but of cut off "waffle pad". Bolt it between the pump and boot floor, it will make the pump last longer and reduce the noise these little buggers can make.
This is how mine is set up, the big red canister is the filter :thumpsup:
davetrees

Post by davetrees »

...... as well as pump and carbs
There's actually no value in having a 2nd filter on the carb side of the pump (IMHO) ... unless of course your fuel lines are full of crud, in which case you should clean them !
A112H

Post by A112H »

davetrees wrote:
...... as well as pump and carbs
There's actually no value in having a 2nd filter on the carb side of the pump (IMHO) ... unless of course your fuel lines are full of crud, in which case you should clean them !
Fair point, I don't as they are all new but other may have used some old lines.
krohny

Post by krohny »

Thanks for the advice guys.. I already have a plan to minimize the pump vibration, I'll have to fit a filter before the pump, I have the one that came with pump somewhere..
Also just fitted a coolant bleeder, I figured there would have to be air getting trapped in the hight point of the hose
krohny

Post by krohny »

A little more progress.. got my suspension sorted, will hopefully fit it tonight if I get time.
Also have 3" blocks to fit to the rear then have to check clearances and work out what else will need to be done
BIG26L

Post by BIG26L »

Why didn't you just put the fuel pump under the car???????? Then you don't need a cage over it for rego!

With the way its currently set up, your in for some drama's.......... When the tek-screws loosen and the pumps starts moving around, A) the pump start working intermitently and B) when it does work the vibration will wear the fuel hoses against the bodywork and you'll have fuel all over everything including the hot exhuast under the floor.

I hope your extinguisher isn't screwed down with tek-screws as well!
krohny

Post by krohny »

Easy tiger.. it's just tech screwed in for placement. I'll fit grommets around the hoses and a foam square under the pump and bolt it in.
There isn't much room under there with 3" lowered suspension, and well.. I wanted the pump in the boot.
Scorpma82
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by Scorpma82 »

as long as it's securely fitted and protected...you can have it on the rear parcel shelf if you wanted.....not a practical spot...but u get my drift lol
Built with pride, Driven in anger