Shifta's dodgey dirt builds

Post your build topics here! This is for restorations only.
Shifta

Shifta's dodgey dirt builds

Post by Shifta »

So recently got access to some rural land and with on-road fun being ridiculously hard in Adelaide these days I've kinda shifted my focus a tad. Plan was to get a cheap offroader and it just happened that a second good deal popped up so I've ended up doing two. Here's a look at each one :).

Car 1 - GSR SIG
Original goal was to paddock bash/rally this thing. Bought it, cleaned it up and gave it a service. Sold all the GSR interior but decided to keep the external stuff as it looks tough!When I got it up to the property I realised the timing chain is a bit rattly and the fact that it has power steering, comfy seats and a towbar meant it was better suited for a paddock cruiser not basher. So I've been using it for a bit of work and just getting around in style. Here's some shots:

Purchase day:

Pre-work:

Stripped interior and new SE seat:

New home:

Having fun ( need better pics! )

On the land - love the look of a GSR :

Doing some cheap clearing - towing a tractor tyre round:

Car 2 - GC Gally
Took a gamble with this thing. It had been stolen, had no radiator and the ignition wiring was all over the shot. I wasn't sure whether it was saveable. Took the risk for the massive sum of $250. Sorted the wiring, rigged up a dodgey Sigma Radiator, had a mate weld the rear diff and gave it a complete service. With the Sigma relegated to cruisin, this thing will be the fun car! A few snaps:

Purchased:

Dodgey radiator adaption for Sigma radiator:

Dodgey new Ignition barrell from Sigma:

Cleaned and serviced, waiting for transportation:

The Galant won't be hitting the dirt for a little while but when it does, will post up some action shots :)
unique10

Re: Shifta's dodgey dirt builds

Post by unique10 »

and here i was thinking that there was no such thing as a cheap sigma anymore and galants were all officially more than $500 for a junker. looks like its going to be good fun mate, how bigs your property anyway? galant might need some rally stripes too....
Shifta

Post by Shifta »

I know, I was thinking the same and I'm really happy with both finds! One thing it has showed me though is no matter how rough a car is, I can't resist giving it as much TLC as possible :). Both cars I wanted to get in as good condition as I could including oil changes and tune ups. I figure they might be living in some harsh conditions pretty soon but that doesn't mean I can't take care of them! Hopefully within 6 months I'll have a shed up too so they can sleep inside. Property is 150 Acres all up with about 80 Acres or so of open area. I'm still locking in the purchase ( settlement is proving evasive ) but have permission to use the land in the meantime so have been enjoying it :).
A112H

Post by A112H »

Takes me back to my miss spent youth north of the Barossa :hit: looks like a lot of fun :thumpsup:
It is crazy sometimes how obsessive you can get over a designated thrasher.
Yeah I think the Gally needs some matt black stripe action, lol (H)
Shifta

Post by Shifta »

Ok done, stripes it is. Anyone got a photo of a car with em so I can copy the format? Are you thinkin just two fat stripes all the way from front to back over the bonnet, roof and boot ?
A112H

Post by A112H »

I was thinking sports pack stripe but black out the whole bonnet and wiper cowel.

Maybe leave the raised centre part of the bennet body colour like a R/T Charger :thumpsup:

A112H

Post by A112H »

Get some HEMI 97 stickers instead of HEMI 265, lol
Shifta

Post by Shifta »

Ah ok, I was thinking more Mustang style in matt black.....
damian

Post by damian »

NIce, how come I hadn't spotted this thread earlier!

Every car I've put stripes on, I've just got some masking tape, and just ran it over the car, painted, then pulled it off, and voila!
The only tricky bit is lining the tape up, really a 2 person job.

How wide, how far apart, whether the same or different sized, and colour are all the hard bits to decide

Shifta

Post by Shifta »

Nice Damian! The Galy hasn't been touched in a while as it's trip to the property has been somewhat delayed by um... paperwork...LOL. The GSR Sigma has been performing nicely up there as a work car and I love driving it. It did leave me stranded a bit the other night though as I incorrectly assumed the headlights would work and had to drive a few kms in the bush in the dark. I checked all the fuses and relays and no go - no idea why the parkers/headlights/taillights don't work at all! Here's a couple of pics from the weekend :

Work horse:
My partner in crime chillin with the sig:
A112H

Post by A112H »

Good old Kev :)
damian

Post by damian »

awesome mate - can't wait to get the, um, paperwork, sorted (slowly slowly...) and come up for a, um, "test drive"

and lights not working?
I got a fix for that from the Toyota boys...

Shifta

Post by Shifta »

Ha ha, nice one Damian! I've just changed a few things around for Sunday so am gonna drop in at Mount Compass for a short stint about 10ish to say hello :)
damian

Post by damian »

awesome! Slight change to times, event starts at 11, not 10, scrutineering is 9.45 to 10.45 tho, so we'll be there

See you tomorrow night at the Chrysler anyway mate
ddt

Post by ddt »

Hopefully within 6 months I'll have a shed up too so they can sleep inside. Property is 150 Acres all up with about 80 Acres or so of open area. I'm still locking in the purchase ( settlement is proving evasive ) but have permission to use the land in the meantime so have been enjoying it
Whoa, that's stacks of space, Shifta!
Dude, you've got to start a mitsu parts refuge or something -start saving all the good stuff from the tip.
There's always people tossing things out because they need space and they can't find anyone who needs it at the time.

You could have your own 'pick-a-part' or cool mitsu graveyard or mitsu museum or.... :blah:

If i had the space, i would sooo do the museum thing- it would be the best excuse to go hunting for all the different models. Man...:blah:
'Member's Rides' Link for LIL RED WGN: http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=4742
Shifta

Post by Shifta »

I can't make the Chrysler bar Damian but will say hello in the morning before I head to All Jap Day.

Thanks ddt, yeah there is a bit of room. I don't really have the cash to buy every Mitsi in sight and the land is governed by Land Management Agreements so I can't go too crazy but I'll save what I can! My garden shed up there at the moment is a 69 1100f:

I've hung on to this car for about 3 years in the hope that one day I'd have somewhere to put it. In my travels if I come across cars that need saving I'll definiltey do what I can :)