Triton EFI Conversion

Post your build topics here! This is for restorations only.
amehel0

Triton EFI Conversion

Post by amehel0 »

Hey guys n gals, thought id post up some shots and info of my Triton EFI conversion. Ill start off with some info:

Car: 1992 Mitsubishi MH Triton
Engine: 2.6L N/A M25 Head.
Gearbox: R5M21 5spd Manual.
Mods: Weber ADM 34, Big Muffler, removed bench seat replaced with 1 recliner working on a second, removed dash and most trim as well as fans and heater.

Basically i crashed it a couple of times and its bogged up well. its a hunk of junk but i love it and its a joy to drive and work on. so it looks like crap which is great because ive yet to be pulled over. Im doing the efi conversion and since i can find very few detailed posts or threads or picture i thought id document mine to help other people looking to do the conversion.

So far ive done the following:
Bought a tr magna, ripped the engine out and all the wiring for the ecu.
ive pulled the head off that engine and taken it to the engine place and they will check all the tolerances and clean it up. ive switched the throttle body over to the other side of the plenum. im going to to a head swap rather then just inlet swap because the head is an m6. all the inlet manifold and vac lines were clogged with carbon and wet oil. so everythings been stripped down and cleaned. ive got to get the fuel lines off the magna i already have the fuel pump. i need to run fuel lines on the triton and sort out the wiring(headache). i will post pics up tommorow of some of the stuff ive done.

Questions:

Do i need to run the magna speedo and rpm or is that only for cruise control.
Do i need to have all the a/c relays and crap or can i just have the injectors sensors and fuel pump connected to the ecu ?
Does it need to have the inhibitor switch connected or can it run unconnected?
amehel0

Re: Triton EFI Conversion

Post by amehel0 »

please move this to build forum mods!
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

amehel0 wrote:please move this to build forum mods!
Done :thumpsup:

Great idea on documenting your build. Take plenty of pics along the way :thumpsup:

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
amehel0

Post by amehel0 »

Hers a few photos. First up is the inlet manifold with a switched over throttle body. note that rather then weld up where it was i got a a bolt on blanking plate made up so i can easily add vac lines or switch the throttle body over.

Heres old denty my triton!

and the donor mag and triton

And why im doing the eif conversion

A112H

Post by A112H »

Looks like a nice start, gotta say you have good taste in beer too :thumpsup:
amehel0

Post by amehel0 »

ye love me coopers, as an old bloke once told me theres beer and theres coopers.
A112H

Post by A112H »

The old bloke must have been South Australian, lol
bruggz351

Post by bruggz351 »

8 stubs to gut a magna bay!!
Not bad :thumpsup:
'82 GJ GSR Silver (family heirloom):)
amehel0

Post by amehel0 »

got the fuel line out of the shagna. just got to straighten it out and bend it to the triton shape. also made a DIY pipe flarer for the 8mm alluminum pipe. i cant believe bunnings cheapest pipe flarers are 30 bux. im also working on the loom. would be great if someone can tell me all the necessary sensors and external relays that the ecu actually needs. im not looking at running a/c or heating or anything other then the engine.

i wish it only took 8 stubbys. i got everything disconnected but i couldnt figure out how to get the cvs disconnected (first time i pulled out an engine or worked on a fwd car). i also didnt have an engine crane so i made a diy engine hoist. basically i got a tirfor winch about 3m off the ground setup in between two trees and a chain block hoist on a snatch block running on it. and i used snatch straps to support the engine while i lifted it.

im getting a morbid idea on what to do with the shagne block and the triton head. im thinking alluminum frame buggy with a dual side draft webber setup.
A112H

Post by A112H »

Given it is a South Australian beer I think you will find they are called Echo's :thumpsup:
Based on the rattle of a dead Soldier, kinda patriotic really, lol
bruggz351

Post by bruggz351 »

Echo eh...
Yeah.. I like it... :thumpsup:
bruggz351

Post by bruggz351 »

With regards to the ECU, I don't know how Mitsi works, but I would imagine the ECU will give you issues in regards to security features and if it was auto may also miss the transmission. May only bother you with a CEL, but also could trip Limp home mode, and righteously pi55 you off.
Aftermarket would definitely be easier but also dearer.
Hopefully someone on here will have a work around for you...

Good luck man, I'm following with interest...

cheers
amehel0

Post by amehel0 »

A112H wrote:Given it is a South Australian beer I think you will find they are called Echo's :thumpsup:
Based on the rattle of a dead Soldier, kinda patriotic really, lol
he wasnt south australian, just had taste buds. xxxx is pretty crap and although coopers isnt for everyone i only buy the nicer filtered beers like little creatures, blue tongue etc. ye i can get a aftermarket ecu but i would rather use the stock ecu for simplicty of wiring tuning etc and whats its running well get an aftermarket. however if its going to be a headache id rather go aftermarket. i dont believe this model had an alarm but i will have to see.
amehel0

Post by amehel0 »

the idea of the ute as far as exterior is a workers ute. and i want it to be a super sleeper. i dont want to be pulled over and i want to be able to flog the crap out of commos leaving there drivers jaws open.

because i work as a photographer and have the gear im going to do a full film/instructional video on the install. i will film all the switching over not the prep work. i will also detail in full all the prep work as far as fuel lines,wiring etc.
amehel0

Post by amehel0 »

Thought I'd share this with anyone looking to do this conversion. This is a link to the magna manual which has been essential so far.

Direct link:

http://www447.megaupload.com/files/937b ... 201995.pdf

Link to post which explains what is covered:

http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=8690

This has helped figure out all the EFI related wiring, location of sensors, what the computer needs to have connected to function and how to get things out.
amehel0

Post by amehel0 »

Righteo update time. I have just gotten my M6 head back from the engine shop. They have done a great job as usual. they did the works on this head and the grinding of the head is mirror finished! Honestly i must give these guys a plug. Its east coast engine centre in Nambour. Best part is the owner used to race magna's and knows heaps about the astron motor. Any how tommorow i will switch over the heads and get stuck into the efi conversion. I also got the K&N filter today. The filter is specifically designed to provide the linear flow required for the Karman vortex air flow metre to work properly. It can be purchased from RPW.

Heres the head:

And the filter:

amehel0

Post by amehel0 »

Pretty hecktick day. thought id start the efi conversion. so i switched the heads over ive mounted the inlet manifold and filter and coil. someow managed to loose one of the new sparkplugs i bought so its got 3 new and one old spark plug but ill buy a new one once its running. pretty much just need to finish coolant plumbing and a few bits and peices and it will be done.

Heres some pics. i managed to swap the heads over in under 2 hours.

Start with this

Out with the old

And in with the new

amehel0

Post by amehel0 »

ive been trying to start it for a few days. i dont seem to be getting any electricty to the injectors or spark plugs but i do get some at the coil. does anyone have any pointers or trouble shooting guides?
dvsfin

Post by dvsfin »

how are you triggering the injectors?
foxpsi

Post by foxpsi »

If you don't have any electricity ( spark) at the spark plugs then you wont have any at the coil usually with EFI a relay will trigger all the EFI components eg fule pump (which has it own relay again) power to the injectors and coil the ecu will then ground these devices via a trigger eg crank signal camshaft signal.
Check all fuses connections and any earth points on the loom , check with a test light with the ignition on that you have power at the injectors and coil if so check that the ECU is getting power (wiring diagram comes in handy here) if it has power and a good ground you will need to inspect the trigger side of the ECU sensors etc.
Also make sure that the batter is fully charged or hook it up to another running vehicle some ECU's don't like low voltage especially during cranking low battery voltage can also cause weak or no spark as well.
It's four and a half hammers across!!!
amehel0

Post by amehel0 »

thanks foxpsi. ive now completly redone the wiring loom. i think i mucked up in the wiring for the coil and power transistor.
amehel0

Post by amehel0 »

I've ordered a Haltech Sport 1000 should be here in a few days. Should be interesting.
foxpsi

Post by foxpsi »

good to hear how much did you pay for it ?
It's four and a half hammers across!!!
amehel0

Post by amehel0 »

almost 2k with all new plugs and a solid base map. thats with long wiring harness.
brainscott

Post by brainscott »

Well anything is possible for somebody with the skills, besides shoehorning the motor in there you will also have to transfer the whole wiring harness from a donor vehicle too.

Are you aware that a 5.8 will literally drop right in and bolt up to the existing transmission? And if the truck has mass air no wiring or computer changes would be necessary to make it work. It's also pretty easy to get an EFI 5.8 into the 350hp range with relatively cheap aftermarket boltons.
amehel0

Post by amehel0 »

Ye but its a V8 and well most V8's are an american solution. Im not saying there aren't any good v8's out there but there is nothing quite like a turbo'd 4cyl that all of a sudden slams you back in your seat. Not to mention a v8 is more weight to an already unbalanced front ended heavy car. I also don't quite see what you are saying or pointing out ( not being rude i'm just confused).

Alot of V8's are relics of a time when fuel was cheaper then water. Single cams with push rod's opposite cylinder con rods sitting side by side. Im sure that there are a few ones out particularly from the european luxury firms that are more modern and efficient. But then i look at one of my favorite cars the Lotus/Caterham7. A small two seater (barely) powered by a (depending on choice) 1.6L Straight 4. That car goes faster around a circuit then Bugatti Veyron which is a 16.1L W16 1000hp beast. Proving that there may not be a replacent for displacement but plenty of alternatives. And dont get me started on 4cyl boxers. Im sure that one day i will have a V8 but im going to wait until i can afford to buy a twin turbo modern engine.
amehel0

Post by amehel0 »

Well ive got the car being tuned they found a problem with the haltech and it has to get repaired. So once thats done it should be done and then i can get some photos of it up on the net.

On another note im pulling the crank cons and pistons out of a 4d56 to build up the spare block i have
amehel0

Post by amehel0 »

Got some goodies in the mail for the turbo

Silicon hoses bends vaclines etc and 33m of black heat tape

32mm plumb back BOV. This Turbodmasrt stuff is quality

And heres the alluminium tube its 65mm i got 6m of it for round $100
amehel0

Post by amehel0 »

Im gonna order a new exhaust turbo housing. Then a nice PWR Sheet intercooler, a turbosmart e-boost2, a few welds for the bov, get the exhaust manifold al welded up and fingers crossed it will be running 10 psi. ive been eyeing a few donor body tritons, im thinking all original panels and colour, new tonneau and some black aftermarket wheels.
amehel0

Post by amehel0 »

Here's an update,the car has been tuned and i out 110hp at the wheels. Tuning was done by STZ Automotive and they did a great job. The tunes a bit rich but better safe then sorry. Here's some pics