GC coupe track build

Post your build topics here! This is for restorations only.
75gus

Re: GC coupe track build

Post by 75gus »

Shorts and paint stripper don't mix....
Cheers ant.
Got the guards stripped and cut the boot floor out today, hopefully get the doors and boot done tomorrow. We're still waiting for our welder to be delivered from Sydney, as soon as its here we will cut the lower rear 1/4's out and get some fresh steel in there and give the rest a good skim of bog. No show car prep here. I'm hoping to have it painted before Christmas. Ordered a sparco ergo seat last week so I'm checking the front door every 5 minutes, we need to fit it up first to work out where everything will go inside like switch panel, hydro handbrake( we will do a few khanas) electrics and all the new brackets for that stuff... The list goes on.
Need to get a better compressor but fuck me they cost a fortune for a decent one.
Pics tomorrow.
JimmyG

Post by JimmyG »

What seat did you end up going for? Damo did you a good deal i hope.
Cars: 95 Wrx, 77 Galant, 73 Galant.
75gus

Post by 75gus »

Ended up with the sparco ergo http://blog.drivelinestore.com/?paged=5 from racingready.com.au Damo is very helpful.
I had a sit in a few with full wings and couldn't see shit, these ones the wings are a bit smaller and detachable if I'm not wearing Hans. I'm hoping it gets here late next week so I can get it in before I go back to work.
A112H

Post by A112H »

Out of interest Ben, what are you planning to do steering wheel wise? I would be interested in the stock wheel if you plan on running a smaller race type wheel.
75gus

Post by 75gus »

The way you're going I'm going to have to do a trip to Radelaide.
ill pack it up with the carbies mate.
A112H

Post by A112H »

Thanks mate.
Maybe I should have bought the engine, would have been a good excuse for a visit, lol
DriveBy

Post by DriveBy »

I think i've ended up as rigid as that chassis reading this thread! Awesome work, definately deserves a 63 now!
75gus

Post by 75gus »

Driveby if i knew how to do a quote on my post thingy yours would be it lol.

No progress apart from moving all the 4g32 related parts onto new homes. Its going to be good to see the motor in a street car, it will be lots of fun tigger. Still waiting for a bottle of mig gas and get the panels done over Christmas.
Got cash now if anyone has g63 stuff :D
DriveBy

Post by DriveBy »

Fantastic, looking forward to seeing this progress over the winter :thumpsup:
75gus

Post by 75gus »

Ill be thinking of you in the freezing snow, drinking warm beer... While in my 50 degree shed with ice cold beer :D
DriveBy

Post by DriveBy »

Any chance you could post some more pics of the rear suspension changes? Would be a great help to me. Many thanks.
75gus

Post by 75gus »

Got some pics coming tonight of the suspension for you. Things will more than likely change again though. No shocks atm, now that we are in sports sedans we will probably run a coil over rear.
The top arms are cut and a spherical bearing is welded on then it's attached to the chassis rail. If you want any finer detail I'll have to call my mate..

Motor is now going to be built around an evo8 block and a Tremec tko box. Got to get my order into bill next week for a bell housing. This is starting to get expensive now :think:
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

75gus wrote:This is starting to get expensive now
It's sounding a bit that way :think:
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
75gus

Post by 75gus »

Shhh don't tell the wife...
Cigges have to go. I'm smoking a turbos worth a month. Stupidly the health has never worried me but missing out on car parts has made me choose no smokes lol.
DriveBy

Post by DriveBy »

75gus wrote:Got some pics coming tonight of the suspension for you. Things will more than likely change again though. No shocks atm, now that we are in sports sedans we will probably run a coil over rear.
The top arms are cut and a spherical bearing is welded on then it's attached to the chassis rail. If you want any finer detail I'll have to call my mate..

Motor is now going to be built around an evo8 block and a Tremec tko box. Got to get my order into bill next week for a bell housing. This is starting to get expensive now :think:

Sounds unreal man. I wanted to go evo 8 block on my sig but it'll most likely have to stay early 7 bolt for this season. What box are you using?
75gus

Post by 75gus »

Still too lazy to upload the photos, I'll get to it soon...

This is the box it will have, it's hopefully the next best thing to a 10k dog box.
http://www.malwoodauto.com.au/index.php?page=tremec-tko

And I'll be talking to Bill soon about one of his bellhousings. http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=6336

I've got the luxury of time, it going to be easier and probably cheaper in the long run to go a late model block.
DriveBy

Post by DriveBy »

Paying attension to all the right areas, great work
Andrew77

Post by Andrew77 »

Awesome sheetmetal, welding and roll bar work. Really impressive. Master craftsmanship!!! Well done :thumpsup:
75gus

Post by 75gus »

thanks guys,
No progress lately apart from re arraigning the shed. scored myself a fine for unnecessary noise with a vehicle, so that chewed up my bell housing money for another month :facepalm:

Driveby finally got off my arse and got the photos for you. Sorry they are off the phone. The kids have hidden the camera again...
More changes will be done but this how it sits now. Trying to get my fab man to come up for a holiday at Easter to get the rest of the back end sorted and cut out and fab a new trans tunnel.
A112H

Post by A112H »

Will the lowering block cause extra tramp, the last thing these fuckers need?
What springs are you running?
I am planning on getting a new pair of springs made, where they can be re set, is this enough to lower?
Last edited by A112H on Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
75gus

Post by 75gus »

Blocks will end up going, just there for now to work heights out. Kings will do the springs at any height you want, eyes reversed and all that stuff not sure how much lower without blocks. They are custom ones from kings in there now only cost 200 or so.
tramp meh.. snapping engine mounts and box mounts in the old car every time we went out, i don't think the blocks would make it any worse lol
It will end up with coil overs in there, probably something like raptors set up so most of what you see will go. All depends how much i work i can my mate to do while he is here.
A112H

Post by A112H »

Cool, we have universal springs here in Adelaide, they told me they can do what ever I want them to do, I was dubious with leaves as I don't really see how they can go lower than level, and that is nearly stock :P
Once the car is mobile they said bring it in and they will sort it, maybe I need some faith in them :D
75gus

Post by 75gus »

Have faith, they will know their shit. You may need to work out a new shock, the stock ones are too long after its dumped.
A112H

Post by A112H »

Already have short KYB shocks, they are in preparation really and kinda short for full extension on stock springs, lol. They can not wait for lower springs.
DriveBy

Post by DriveBy »

No appologies needed, thanks for going to that much effort for me. Looking great, I bet even my Celeste would benefit alot from some extras like that
Gormzz

Post by Gormzz »

cool build mate! looks like its coming together nicely. cage looks pretty epic and that fabby of yours is doing a sweet job!
Toyota Cressida 77,79'
Mitsubishi Starion Track Car 84'
Mitsubishi Starion Widebody 89'

My projects/cars.
75gus

Post by 75gus »

thanks gormzz, let me know if you sell the bridgey.

update.
now going 13b already have the gearbox and a dummy motor to fit up. it will be solid mounted with an engine plate.
still trying to work out if a kazz evo diff centre will fit in the 10 bolt housing....
pics in a few weeks when the motor is in.
Gormzz

Post by Gormzz »

Mate i don't have one! sorry to mislead you guys like that haha. I plan to buy one eventually once i've sorted out my jz mx32 cressida build.. and my 4g63t starion build... gotta catch up a bit. Keen to see more pictures of this build mate. Stuff the purists!! Cars are made to be modified to the limit i say.
Toyota Cressida 77,79'

My projects/cars.
Gormzz

Post by Gormzz »

anymore done on this? its really making me want to buy a hardtop to build a trackcar now....
Toyota Cressida 77,79'

My projects/cars.