GC coupe track build

Post your build topics here! This is for restorations only.
75gus

Re: GC coupe track build

Post by 75gus »

Go on you know you want to do it lol
I shit myself when I 1st saw it, how the hell am I going to afford tyres to fill that gap.......
Got the 10bolt scorp diff going in this week, so we will see how much room that takes up. I'm thinking not much..
75gus

Post by 75gus »

Looks like any chance of running in Improved Production has gone out the window lol.
Ol mate didn't want to compromise his desired ride height, so when the diff hit the floor there is only 1 option.
Thanks for the diff Aaron, it's in better nic than I thought it would be. Now I need to find another centre, that dirty 3.3 is way to high.

Diff don't hit anymore.....
Last edited by 75gus on Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
webby

Post by webby »

I could have put you on to a pair of 13x11's 6 months ago :P
Coming along nicely mate, nice work :thumpsup:
-Josh.
Daily: 7/96 EF Falcon, 4.0 SOHC, BTR95LE, 3.45:1 LSD/Lukey extractors, full 2.5” exhaust, EL intake, Tickford snorkel, 87DA cam, AU injectors, shiftkits.com.au single stage kit. PB 14.93@91mph.
Project: Red '81 Scorpion-http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=11889
75gus

Post by 75gus »

Don't tell me that I'll cry, they are impossible to find for a reasonable price.
webby

Post by webby »

These were $1300 for the pair, which is about par when you consider the rarity of 13-15" wheels that wide outside of Japan. That, and the bosozoku/kaido guys over there normally snap them up before anyone international can get an eye in.
I could probably put out a few feelers if you'd like, I know a few guys that get stuff in from Japan semi-regularly. Also, I have a few links to searches on the Japanese Yahoo auctions that could help, you'll need to run them through Google Translate though.
-Josh.
Daily: 7/96 EF Falcon, 4.0 SOHC, BTR95LE, 3.45:1 LSD/Lukey extractors, full 2.5” exhaust, EL intake, Tickford snorkel, 87DA cam, AU injectors, shiftkits.com.au single stage kit. PB 14.93@91mph.
Project: Red '81 Scorpion-http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=11889
75gus

Post by 75gus »

Thanks josh, the links would be great. I'll have a troll to see what's around.
Still a couple of months off having funds for wheels.
webby

Post by webby »

http://category.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/li ... 3%81&rkf=1&
http://auctions.search.yahoo.co.jp/sear ... 2084005140
http://auctions.search.yahoo.co.jp/sear ... 2084005140
http://auctions.search.yahoo.co.jp/sear ... p&auccat=0

There's a few to get you started, I'll see what else I can dig up later when I have a bit more time :)
If you do end up buying something, go through http://www.jessestreeter.com or import monster.
-Josh.
75gus

Post by 75gus »

Thanks again,
Used Jesse before and always had good service.
75gus

Post by 75gus »

Fab work finished for now. Bringing it home to Qld at the end of next month.
Probably wont have any updates for a while, unless you want to see the dust collecting on it until i find the cash to finish it off. It was supposed to be a budget build and get it on the track quickly, but after all the hard work my mate has put in it would be a real shame just to slap it together. I'm going to need to find a spare kidney or 2 after looking at those wheel prices in Japan..
cheaterparts

Post by cheaterparts »

just wondering what class are you building to or will you run in
cheater
webby

Post by webby »

webby wrote:I could have put you on to a pair of 13x11's 6 months ago :P
Coming along nicely mate, nice work :thumpsup:
So
Um
They were actually 13x15's :o
-Josh.
Scorpma82
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by Scorpma82 »

quick question

who the hell makes a tyre of that diamension????

i guess you speak to the F1 teams as they use 13" rims....but thats about all i can think of
Built with pride, Driven in anger
75gus

Post by 75gus »

cheaterparts wrote:just wondering what class are you building to or will you run in
Hey cheater,
We were originally building it around IP but my mate can't help but trying out his fab skills lol. It was a bit boring for him so he went to town. I would love to have crack at U2L SS but time and budget get in the way of doing that in the next few years and all the races are in VIC... I can't see it getting finished this year. I'll just be running sprints when I finally get it done, then have a look where to go from there.

webby wrote:I could have put you on to a pair of 13x11's 6 months ago
So
Um
They were actually 13x15's
Lol think that may be a bit big.
There are a few sets of wheels I've found so far.
http://page3.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/au ... isbishi_wr

Buggered if I can find them now, but there were slicks on this site somewhere that were the perfect size and dirt cheap.
Webby thanks again for those links, I've had to work out how to use the translator lol I'm pretty useless on computers.
Scorpma82 wrote:quick question

who the hell makes a tyre of that diamension????
i guess you speak to the F1 teams as they use 13" rims....but thats about all i can think of
A lot of open wheelers run big 13" tyres. There are plenty of second hand slicks around. I think F3 ones will be pretty close.
scorpioncollector

Post by scorpioncollector »

Saw a yellow 4 door shell with white painted rollcage and inside, on top of pile of cars at bonanza wreckers. thought it was a waste.
Scorpma82

Post by Scorpma82 »

yeah i wanted to race a gj with a DOHC 2L V6 mounted in the car and race with the U2L SS.....woulda been great....but the costs to just compete (let alone..being competitive) are just out of reach
75gus

Post by 75gus »

Scorpcollector,

I'll get Dennis to send me the vid of the excavator crushing it. It didn't last very long lol. The cage was rubbish in the sedan, I never felt safe being in it. Never let panel beater mates weld cages in :hit:
Have you got many jap 5 speeds left? The last one I got off you is a bit rusty inside now....

Scorpma,

I've had a good look at the V6 but I still think I'll go with a 4g92 mivec. It will have the rebuilt 32in it for a while though, that's the only bit in the car I didn't break last time.
I'd have to pawn my arse to go racing, and it's not very good looking so I'd still be running a lap behind :lol:
Id hate to think how much cash you would need to drop to make a galant competitive in floor pan SS.
Scorpma82

Post by Scorpma82 »

well if you leave the 4G32 motor in it, u'll actually run in the <1600cc class........not the 1601-2000cc................so u'd be more competitve than youd think

i was gonna do a sigma in the 2L class.....but also looked at doing an RA colt with the 4G32 motor in it as they are mucj lighter than the sedan........and accordiong to CAMS, a FWD car is allowed to run 50kg lighter than a RWD sedan of the same class :thumpsup:

I'f i get into racing.....thats what i'm doing........i'll be more competitive on a smaller budget......thats only ever a good thing
75gus

Post by 75gus »

The motor I have is no slouch, before the rebuild it had 120hp atw, but there is never any substitute for more powers :thumpsup:
That's the reason for the mivec, to keep it in the <1600. I've always been a fan of the smaller high revving na motors. From what I've read 150-160hp atw out of a 92 is pretty easy to achieve.

A mate had a RA with a single 45mm weber, that thing was a hoot to drive. If I could find a clean one I'd probably get rid of the excel for the dirt track and jump into a colt but I never see them come through work anymore.
webby

Post by webby »

No worries mate :)
13x9 -6 TRD Tosco's, nice (H)
-Josh.
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

A Colt? :lol: I thought I was one of few nutters to play with these! RA's are hard to come by and front parts and panels are even rarer. An RB to RD would be viable as the parts though these models are interchangeable. They come up infrequently on the the usual trading domains for modest prices. Super easy to mod, cheap for parts and pretty reliable. I'd bet the shell strength would win hands down over an excel too...
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

geezer101 wrote:A Colt? I thought I was one of few nutters to play with these! RA's are hard to come by and front parts and panels are even rarer. An RB to RD would be viable as the parts though these models are interchangeable.
Don't forget how rare the motors in them are as well.
RB-RD have 4G33's and 4G32's, RA's have 4G12's (well my brother in law's did anyway), were RA's ever sold in Aus with 4G32's?

BTW, back on topic. This coupe looks awesome, I can't wait to see the finished product :thumpsup:
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
cheaterparts

Post by cheaterparts »

Scorpma82 wrote: i was gonna do a sigma in the 2L class.....but also looked at doing an RA colt with the 4G32 motor in it as they are mucj lighter than the sedan........and accordiong to CAMS, a FWD car is allowed to run 50kg lighter than a RWD sedan of the same class :thumpsup:
a pre 1986 car like the RA colt has no min weight - when I first built my sigma in 1999 I had thought about running a colt
but I owned the GE it had been my road car and it started life running a 2lt

by the way I still think about an IPRA rules built colt it would run so well with a 4g61 turbo - almost no issue with the 36 mm restrictor in the turbo near 300 hp atw - bullet proof engine and no weight to push - no added weight
whats even better is the tyres this year you could run a 205/50 15 AO50s on 15 x 7 rims so there plenty of room for brakes
cheater
75gus

Post by 75gus »

Best thing in the colts was using the 2 speed splitter in every gear lol

Back to the shitter... Is there any reason these oval track rims won't work? For the price I can't go past them and they come in a few different offsets. They are a bit heavy at 9kg's and not as sexy as the Trd ones.
http://www.summitracing.com/search/Depa ... Rank%7cAsc

by Scorpma82 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:48 pm

well if you leave the 4G32 motor in it, u'll actually run in the <1600cc class........not the 1601-2000cc................so u'd be more competitve than youd think

This one is at 1850cc now so that's another excuse for the mivec. :thumpsup:
cheaterparts

Post by cheaterparts »

75gus wrote:Best thing in the colts was using the 2 speed splitter in every gear lol
I use to have an autocross cordia and that I made an aluminium gear shift knob that had a small rocking switch in the top
that was used to spit the box
they have a vacum change that is electricly switched - yes I've played that geme
75gus wrote:
by Scorpma82 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:48 pm

This one is at 1850cc now so that's another excuse for the mivec. :thumpsup:
I'm not sure how the under 2lt sports sedans run up nth but in Vic you can run a turbo on a 1175 - 2000 cc enginr with a 36 mm restrictor like IPRA
and use a race weight of 1250 KG
as you seam to be running a fairly full bodied car my guess the build weight will be 950 kg or so add the drivers weight with race gear ( suit ,helmit and gloves ) prob 90 kg = about 1040 kg
that does cut down being creative trying to lighten the car and the options of where to place some ballist
and 36 mm restricted engine are good for 300 - 350 hp
it would make for a dam fast car

just a thought
cheater
75gus

Post by 75gus »

Stop saying turbo, you are going to convert me lol.
It will be in the 2nd build I'm sure but the 32 will go in for now.
What 4GT would you look at for the job? A 91, 92 or 93? Or go to g6's? They all make good power but which is going to be the most economical build and moreso lightest?
My engine builder wants to start something on the quiet days, we have a gen1 mivec block ready but I still don't know if I can bring myself to drop the cash on a high revving na when the snail is so much cheeper in the long run, but you can't beat the sound of 9000rpm and quads.........
Last edited by 75gus on Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
astronturbo77

Post by astronturbo77 »

got anymore details on the diff conversion? I wouldn't bother with anything but a g63.. but a turbo saturn would be cool.
BUILT NOT BROUGHT BY ALGIE.
75gus

Post by 75gus »

What do you want to know Algie?
I know its a 10 bolt out of a GK scorp, it would have fitted ok if the car wasn't so low.

63 is getting a bit heavy for my liking but the powers are good.
dvsfin

Post by dvsfin »

75gus wrote: Thanks for the diff Aaron, it's in better nic than I thought it would be. Now I need to find another centre, that dirty 3.3 is way to high.
All good mate, glad it could be of use to you instead of it just collecting dust here, I didn't know what ratio it was though :P I was planning to put it in my hardtop but with the figures I have gotten from my 4g63 have decided to look for something a bit stronger :)
75gus

Post by 75gus »

Minor update.
Finally got the car back to Qld and have stripped it all down again and set it off for sandblasting. If anyone is removing body tar i highly recommend the dry ice route, i had the car done in under an hour. Just order it in pellets not the block form. Pour over the floor, leave for about 10 minutes and hit with a hammer and it all falls off.
Now were ready to start the panel work and interior fit up, before stripping it down again for paint.
If any of you are handy with Photoshop I'm looking for paint schemes, not a fan of the standard mitsy white and red of the day and cant find much else that i like.

75ANT

Post by 75ANT »

:thumpsup: Killa build mate, any updates??