Scorpion Track Hack

Post your build topics here! This is for restorations only.
Billsy

Scorpion Track Hack

Post by Billsy »

after purchasing this car off a fellow member almost 2 years ago its sat allowing its true colours to come through in spots... literally.
so facing the fact its not as clean as first thought for use as a streeter requiring alot of TLC.
but knowing that they dont have very good suspension/steering geometry at all.
I decided to take on a mmission when i heard a rumour that you can (with alot of effort) put a nissan drivetrain and suspension into it...
and after finding the limits of stock sigma suspension and brakes when you add power i decided that was the way to go.
so i found a S14 nissan that some tool wrote off and cheaply acquired the entire steering/suspension components from it.

now before i get flamed, im only using the nissan suspension and steering, not the engine.

I thought id put some progress up as motivation for me to work on it, and so you mob can criticize and point out anything i might forget.
as this is new ground for me as far as re engineering the wheel goes, chassis and suspension work is not something i have done alot with before... letalone squashing a nissan under an old mitsi shell.
although the thought of selling this and all the associated bits and buying a suby track car has crossed my mind. but shortly dismissed :P

so, heres the donor car in its previous owners hands shortly before i got to it.
has had some dodgy bog work done at some point, which ill replace with steel when i can be bothered doing it. but other than that its a fairly straight and rust free apart from some key spots they rust in (well either free or hidden). which i bought with no drivetrain.

for the front Suspension, ill be modifying the 2 cross members and putting the entire S14 rack and pinion steering/suspension in, arms, x-member, struts, brakes everything.
but thats the easy part...

and heres the rear end that will be going in... one way or another :D
Image.

add to that, coilovers and 4 pot brakes etc. and if it works out well ill cage it to stiffen it up as its a flexy pillarless 2 door, but for now i think ill get a roll bar as a safety measure.

Progress posts below...
Insert witty one liner here -->
Billsy

Re: Scorpion Track Hack

Post by Billsy »

first bit was a waste of time essentially.

i had to strip down the turbo motor from the sigma of death, and get the scorpion through for rego. so i can drive it round to the dyno and places of mechanical repair. (this wont be driven on the street as a daily or weekend thrash, basically dedicated for track use. but rego just makes things so much easier in life)

anyways, that was a 2 week waste of time, and somehow i fell through the gap and got rego without going through the pits, where it would have been raped for Tint, steering wheel, NOISE, emmissions, you name it....
Blank Start

engine in bare

Ready for the general public
Billsy

Post by Billsy »

Now the last 2 days ive had some time to actually start a last ditch mission start in an attempt to make winton... in december :facepalm: where i want to run around with about 10 mates entering their track cars.

i started by stripping both x-members and putting them side by side, removing the shit from both and pondering the next step.

they are very similar and the shape and length is just right for the conversion.
with the mitsubishi at the bottom, both with the mounting points removed, (mitsi easily drilled out the spot welds and one weld, whereas the nissan arseholes welded the fuk out of it)

this is the mitsubishi mount plates sitting nicely on the nissan x-member, i need to bring them in a tad and center them before test fitting.
ill also look at if its viable to drop the engine any lower in the bay while im changing the x-member.
BOOTS

Post by BOOTS »

looks like alot of work, im glad your doing it......lol
Billsy

Post by Billsy »

yeah, going to keep me out of trouble for a while.

i spent 2 hours on it tonight, 1 swearing at the fu**ing idler arm that wouldnt budge and the other pulling shit off and drinking beer.

braced the engine and went to work

Lowering the engine is out, but i can lower the roll centre by lowering the x-member, but not sure if its a good or bad thing to do so though. ill need to research it a little

old crap gone
ImageImage
A112H

Post by A112H »

Nice one Billsy. If it all comes together you should have a very sweet handling Scorpion on your hands and a shit load of members chasing you for tips, lol
Billsy

Post by Billsy »

yeah thats a big IF i get it all right, lol

been doing some research and im going to modify the roll centre as much as i can to bring it up a bit as the car will be lowered from std,
also adding some extra castor over what they run stock
mstrrab1992

Post by mstrrab1992 »

Why are u going Independant rear suspension, thats presuming you are?
All Animals to the Crow: Your not a zoo animal!
Monkey to crow:your just jealous cause noone says "mummy mummy i want to see a crow!"
Billsy

Post by Billsy »

because i want it to turn corners.
i want a strong diff with plenty of LSD options.
and i want large vented Brakes.
a smoother ride is just a side effect, but i dont give a rats about that

Got the new crossmember in situ and set to go now, i just need to center it and get all the measurements set and crank up the Welder tomorrow
mstrrab1992

Post by mstrrab1992 »

Why turn corners when u can slide round them!

Lol

Love what ur doing actually,its different hope all goes well
Monkey to crow:your just jealous cause noone says "mummy mummy i want to see a crow!"
Billsy

Post by Billsy »

well the cross members welded together now, should have almost the same geometry, maybe slightly better??? as the nissan as far as roll centre goes if my calcs are right.
castor i wont know till i get it on the aligner, but ill have a fair adjustability as ive kept the mitsi adjustable castor rods, and not the fixed nissan ones. I think its going to be similar to scorp default, which is not much.

also had a small fail tonight, i measured the clearance to the sump without the power steering rack brackets on, then cut and moved it further up to improve roll centre...
but once it was welded and i test fitted it, the bracket bolt fouled the sump...
so ill need to raise the engine which im not keen on,
or massage a small section at the back the sump, which ill then box next time the engines out :D
mstrrab1992

Post by mstrrab1992 »

I wouldnt raise the engine, ths just me tho, impressively coming together!
turbogj260

Post by turbogj260 »

Ill be keeping my eye on this. You should be right with the rear end, Seen it in siggys before but they had to cut a fair bit out of the spare wheel well to make it fit but with your welding im sure u can sus it out. As for the front end i havent seen the WHOLE sub frame assembly been put in just the stock siggy ones adapted with nissan struts. Good luck with it Billsy.
81 Turbo GJ SIG-260
04 BA GT BA GT
Billsy

Post by Billsy »

Getting there slowly, took the sledge to the sump, ground the bolt down and solved the clearance issue :P

then had hours of fun making Nissan/Subaru/Mitsubishi struts that will fit.
Nissan strut and legacy spring retainer and Mitsubishi top, not exactly ideal, but till i get coilovers itll do.
with them in its got MASSIVE negative camber, so i need to switch the strut tops round the other way and fix it up a bit.

Got the struts in and test fitted radius rods, and had a think about the sway bar mounts. made it all fit and started removing it all to finish the xmember fabrication now its all sorted.

steering linkage is going to be a fun one... need to shorten the column a few inches and add some uni joints and well be in business.
after the exhaust is redone as the steering goes right through the middle of where it currently goes.....
A112H

Post by A112H »

:thumpsup:
Billsy

Post by Billsy »

slowly getting there, all fully welded up and bolted in now.
was just tacked for test fitment, now its permanent 8o|
steering is going to be a bit of a fuck around i think, the column needs to be shortened about 6 inches... might try and fit a galant one in there
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

Hmmm, 6 inches is a lot to lop off...I'll try not to say this too loudly - maybe a colt column? :think:
81GL
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by 81GL »

Or maybe one of the Lancer/mirage columns could be of use, they are pretty small!
(as in '96 - '02 - Friend should have a spare CC one if its of use? will be a similar size)

-Although it wont be a bolt in fit lol
Old school Mitsu's, its not a hobby; it's a life style.
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

You may be surprised... If you took all the brackets and mounting hardware, it may very well fit. A galant column cover will fit a colt, and I fitted a scorpion column cover with the wiper, indicator and light control collar into my galant and it went together without mods! I can't see you having too much grief getting it to bolt up (may have to play musical parts with the steering tilt adjust) p.s. The inner shaft on a colt is thicker than a galant/sigma unit (thus the 'take everything' approach) but the end's machined down for the spline - matching the spline might be the only thing that will kybosh the idea as I'm not sure if they're the same. Cordia has more splines than the Colt...(and the Cordia has the tilt adjust column)
Billsy

Post by Billsy »

cheers for the info. basically i have a nissan UNI at the rack, so whatever column i take ill take the uni to go with it.
then weldup a suitable adapter approx 9" long between the 2.

ill be going for a trek round U-Pullit on sat to see what i can find. will sneak in the cordless angle grinder aswell to get the stubs i need 8o|

and i should put in a wanted thread...
Wanted: Bolt on guard flares
This is only a 215 45 17, which is only 2mm from the strut, meaning i cant go in further, and i want to run something wider again...

Image Image
turbogj260

Post by turbogj260 »

ughhhhh is it just me or are u gonna have a fun time getting the exhaust to fit with that steering shit getting in the way? Good job none the less
81 Turbo GJ SIG-260
04 BA GT BA GT
Billsy

Post by Billsy »

the exhaust is going to be tight, but nothing that a kink cant go around, i need to make a new exhaust anyway so its not a problem
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

Take a look at some steering connecting rods in a few FWD's while you're at UPI. You might spot something that'll be close to what you need. Cutting a connecting rod and welding a uni yoke is fiddly, has to be perfect(I know- done it and botched it...)
Billsy

Post by Billsy »

ive found some honda wheels in the right offset for now.
ill be able to run 225's without guard flares, but it limits the choice of wheels.
so flares will be in the future i think.

spent half the day at the wrecker today wasting time and walking round trying to find a suitable steering combination.
i found many the right length, but with the wrong uni joints on them, or the right unis and too short. and steering shit is just a kent to deal with, behind the engine and right under the dash...
in the end i found the linkage from a Mazda 626 had the goods, with some modification being required to
A. shorten the std column.
B. extend the linkage about an inch.

but the important thing is it works.
mstrrab1992

Post by mstrrab1992 »

Coming along well :D i have a mazda 626 ?_?
amgis_obrut

Post by amgis_obrut »

great work

would love to do this to the V8 so i have rack and peanut steering but i dont think it will fit with the exhaust
GH Sigma, 16" Mesh wheels, sports steering wheel and a V8 exhaust
Billsy

Post by Billsy »

theres a fair bit of space with the steering rod there, you just have to go a bit closer to the firewall.
TUFSIG
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by TUFSIG »

Nice work mate good to see its getting another powerhouse in her
TUFSIG
Boost Is the Only Way
1984 GK Sigma GSR, 2.6 EFI Turbo
1992 Aus Delivered 3000GT Twin Turbo
1984 GK Sigma GSR Stocka

karl_2ltgc

Post by karl_2ltgc »

I highly approve of this setup and would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

Thinking similar for my Galant. Plus I got 180sx parked infront of it to measure from. Either way i want to get a rack in their it steers like shit.
A112H

Post by A112H »

Any updates Billsy?