Starion.... formally known as AXELR-8

Post your build topics here! This is for restorations only.
84GKSIG
Admin

Starion.... formally known as AXELR-8

Post by 84GKSIG »

where to start :think:

A couple of months back I guess I was looking into a brake upgrade for my Blue GK thats been converted over to efi and was reading up on how the starion struts bolt right up etc and back starion discs+ caliper on the scorpion diffs (actually been playing with the idea for a while)
so it all started by keeping an eye out for some one selling starion struts or some one parting out a starion. came accross an add on gumtree saw the price so organized to go look at the night after and left a deposit, my original intention with the starion was to part it out grab what I needed and get rid of the rest. how ever yes :roll: I know. ive decided to slowly fix it up, not my main focus but something to play with if i get bored of other stuff.

Keep in mind here I bought this car not running

shes got little bits of rust and some damage but nothing that really cant be fixed :thumpsup:

after a quick wash

Car is a 1982 Mitsubishi Starion and comes factory with a SOHC 4g63 single point injected turbo set up

was told from the last owner that a couple of owners before him had used it as a drag car at some point in its life, so came back and did a little research :google:
found an old forsale ad from 05 some pics and some videos on youtube.

( taken from its forsale ad back in 05 and edited to current circumstances )

car came with:

VR4 twin cam motor ( seized )
Supra 5 speed
VG30 turbo
Custom exhaust manifold
Haltech E6K
K&N pod filter
Twin diaphragm HD ceramic clutch
aluminium surge tank
king springs all round
2 1/2 inch straight thru hi-flow exhaust
Intercooler waterspray
15" Globe style mags
Advanced spoilers front airdam
Tinted windows
Hornet alarm
Blitz FATT-DC turbo timer
White faced gauges
?? a heavy duty tow bar??
and a folder full of papers receipts and info etc

pics from the ad
Image :o

engine bay pic back then

at AIR
Image < magna? :hit:

I went on the internet and I found this
and this
http://forums.austarion.com/viewtopic.p ... r8&start=0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WADLyOr7HTw
other vids of the car can be found on that persons youtube page :thumpsup: one of the previous owners im guessing

so back to info and stuff.
its been sitting out the front now for a bit and im in no immediate rush to have the starion on the road or anything but at the same time you dont see very many :think:

last couple of days and what not works slowed down to pretty much a dead halt for me and ive been going bored out of my mind, not so much feeling like doing anything to the other cars but wanting to do some pulling apart of the starion, so had to get cottees to come help me swap the lancer and starion around so I could get an engine crane to the front of the damn thing.

well to start, this is what the engine bay looked like when I picked it up

the rest of it was in the boot

next to this thing

any ways, engine finally came out

started pulling things to pieces, its all broken any ways so whats it matter :P

hmm

hmm

hmm

see if you can see it

yep thats what I said too :thumpsup:

w58 box with a modded cross member

borgwarner narrow block bellhousing

thick as adapter plate

:think: some one couldnt resist looking, but good thing came out of it since the little plastic shifter bush had broken and fallen into the box and probbaly went around the gears a couple of times and the speedo gear had fallen off the output shaft :thumpsup:

ah yeah thats about it for now :thumpsup: if you know somthing about the car seen it or have stories about it please share? :)

M.B :thumpsup:
Billsy

Re: Starion.... formally known as AXELR-8

Post by Billsy »

nice find, that was back in the day when we had a drag strip...

don't worry about the hairline surface cracks in the flywheel, thats normal with a puk clutch.
dunno about the dual diaphragm idea ... seems to be a cheap way to do it though, how was the clutch feel? feel a bit doughy???
Insert witty one liner here -->
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

84GKSIG wrote::think: some one couldnt resist looking...
Yeah, I wanted to see if it had been 'Elizabethanised' (i.e. if it was missing most of it's teeth).
Billsy wrote:how was the clutch feel? feel a bit doughy???
Yeah, it didn't feel quite right.
Billsy wrote:... seems to be a cheap way to do it though...
LOL, you have no idea.
84GKSIG
Admin

Post by 84GKSIG »

Billsy wrote:Post by Billsy » Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:42 pm
nice find, that was back in the day when we had a drag strip...

don't worry about the hairline surface cracks in the flywheel, thats normal with a puk clutch.
dunno about the dual diaphragm idea ... seems to be a cheap way to do it though, how was the clutch feel? feel a bit doughy???
the clutch? oh man. the clutch set up in the car wasnt exactly what youd call " comfortable " i guess. and it would contribute to how it felt on the pedal, it felt very spongy in a hard way? dose that make scene? felt like something was gonna brake if you kept your foot on it. ( and not just my leg )

if you have a look at this pic top left next to the brake booster, youll see the hydrolic master cylinder gave its life to serve as a mount point for a clutch cable

and the cable set up if you can see it?

and really? dont worry about the cracks in the flywheel?
damian

Post by damian »

i would not be happy with cracks in my flywheel...

http://youtu.be/vYNTC9v7zWk

1:10 to 2:00
A112H

Post by A112H »

Yeah, I gotta say if I was changing a clutch and saw those cracks it would go to be machined at the very least. If that did not remove the cracks it would be going in the bin.
84GKSIG
Admin

Post by 84GKSIG »

yeah that videos a bit scary.. well I can say I have no intention of using that flywheel, maybe heat it up pull the ring gear off as a spare but thats about it ( hopefully it wont explode ) :thumpsup: I see the surface cracks and the clutch has worn a good 3mm step into the flywheels face, as far as machining it? id say theres little to no point but ill take it to the place that did my GKs flywheel just to see their reaction lol :thumpsup:
Billsy

Post by Billsy »

on my subaru every time i take the clutch out and replace the puks, (its a rebuildable 6 Puk ceramic cushioned centre) there is about half a mm of wear in the fly and many many surface cracks like that.
often some nasty gouges and blue and purple marks where its been punished.
each time it gets machined they arent deep and machine out. its just what happens when you drop 260 odd flywheel kw at roughly 7k rpm.
if the cracks are deep id probably go get another flywheel. the difference might be that the subaru flywheel is designed for higher RPM and power.
but if you machine it that far, itll be lighter anyways, which is good :)

as for the clutch, mine feels a bit doughy and heavy aswell, but i have a 1200kg HQ diaphram in the sigma housing.
why they would go from hydraulic back to a cable is beyond me though,
81GL
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by 81GL »

Mad find :thumpsup: Looks like some good bits amongst it all.

& serious about the cracks? Nearly fell off the chair when I saw them....
Have you got a couple pic's of an abused flywheel Billsy?
Old school Mitsu's, its not a hobby; it's a life style.
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

damian wrote:i would not be happy with cracks in my flywheel...

http://youtu.be/vYNTC9v7zWk

1:10 to 2:00
With how loose the flywheel bolts were in the Starion, there is a chance that the flywheel could of got ejected intact, and beaten it down the 1/4 mile.
Superscan811

Post by Superscan811 »

Cottees wrote:With how loose the flywheel bolts were in the Starion, there is a chance that the flywheel could of got ejected intact, and beaten it down the 1/4 mile.
I'd be more worried about my feet if the flywheel came off.

Cheers.
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

I've heard of the carnage caused by a flywheel coming apart on the strip but OMFG that was ugly. That's the reason they install scatter guards in hi-po cars... :|
Billsy

Post by Billsy »

81GL wrote:Mad find :thumpsup: Looks like some good bits amongst it all.

& serious about the cracks? Nearly fell off the chair when I saw them....
Have you got a couple pic's of an abused flywheel Billsy?

i can probably take some, ive got my flywheel off atm but its only about 25% worn but there are some fine marks in it.
84GKSIG
Admin

Post by 84GKSIG »

Billsy wrote:i can probably take some, ive got my flywheel off atm but its only about 25% worn but there are some fine marks in it.
that would be cool to see :thumpsup:

first hand this is the first time ive ever seen anything like it, I can only assume that a ceramic puck type clutch set up "should" also include a specialized flywheel or one with a replaceable friction surface? never seen one, all I can say is when I sat the engine down and pulled the pressure plate off my reaction went like this...

hmmm :think: thats pretty worn out :o is that a crack?! :| theres more