Bocs GL Turbo Scorpion project - $100 to $10000 with pics

Post your build topics here! This is for restorations only.
Boc

Bocs GL Turbo Scorpion project - $100 to $10000 with pics

Post by Boc »

Well here is pretty much how i found my Scorpion - purchased for $100 off a friend. I had just started to sand/strip back paint before these pics, had replaced/fixed any panels with rust, quick tint job, new tail lights and a few roadworthy certificate items. I believe i was also in the middle of suspension upgrade and lowering...
I was never set on any particular direction (other than turning it into a beast) but thought engine upgrade first then finish paint... So first i bought some Dual Solex Carbs and fixed the linkage, then bought a rebuild kit and overhauled it on the bedroom floor - girlfriend loved this part!!...
Then after saving bought bits for going Turbo - couple of starion engines for their turbos, bought a newly done block with new Pistons just installed - epic fail here as only realised mid way in engine swap that it was a narrow block and wouldnt fit my setup. Had another Head fully reconditioned and just about ready for Engine rebuild...
Old engine off to the shop to get bored and honed for the piston swap with narrow block...
Then putting it all back together, a massive thanks to Mark for putting alot of time and energy into it all!!!...
And dropped back in...

Drove it (hooray) for a bit while collecting turbo intake and Carby and saving for Exhaust...

But first... Metalic Black paintjob... oh yeah!! And started pollishing up some pepperpot rims...

Then added Turbo kit intake and handed it over to a mate for new 3 Inch Mandrel bent Exhaust, Screamer pipe and Turbo addition... and it all worked!!! - Thanks Cav...

So this is where i am at the moment: Have bought a full EFI setup that i still need to hook up as well as power steering bits. In desperate need for Clutch/Gearbox upgrade before i continue - looking for a Starion Manual gearbox/hydrollic clutch set-up but would love some suggestions on this. Ive read of people going with Supra or Celica boxes... any ideas?? I have parked it in the garage and am on an Overseas trip but cannot wait to get back into it next year. So until then i need to formulate the next stages of planning. Have started on the interior so this is very high on the priority list.

Took some last photos before i left for OS and here they are, have since had my brother put in some new carpet for me but this is pretty much how it sits... will keep updating but would really love some ideas and constructive (or otherwise) criticism so i can keep going with my project - engine/gearbox/body etc. Cheers all, go Scorpion!!! :thumpsup:

Well Back from overseas and back into the project. Had my wedding recently and my lovely wife agreed that we could use the Scorp as one of the wedding cars... which of course meant that i had to spend some more money on it!! So after a few quotes and much deliberation I decided to get the interior done. And here's the result! A great job from a husband and wife team in Brisbane. Going for the 70's look and think we nailed it :)

Last edited by Boc on Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
A112H

Re: Bocs GL Scorpion project - $100 to $10000

Post by A112H »

Mate that is an awesome build, cheers for the story and great pics
scorpioncollector

Post by scorpioncollector »

Looks great, nice to see one been restored not destroyed.
what part of Queensland are you?
kenvv

Post by kenvv »

that looks awesome. first scorpion i could happily say i like :thumpsup:
vrooooom vrooooom!!
Nath76LA

Post by Nath76LA »

That's a great looking Scorpion you have built. Not too sure about the grill ( maybe a mesh style grill?) but apart from that it's :thumpsup:
1976 Galant Hardtop
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

He looks Great!!!

Congrats!

GS/R power
Boc

Post by Boc »

In Brisbane mate.
Yes Nath76LA - grill was a home build as my old grill fell to bits, thought it could match the rims for the mean time but could definately be improved!! Looking for 70's model front and rear bumpers for it also to up the chrome 'anti'.
Forgot to show another fail: Had a good friend spend ages at his polishing business working on a rocker cover for me before i then realised it wouldnt fit my head... how good does it look though!!
A real pity i couldnt use it, will have to do it all again...
Midnyte

Re: Bocs GL Turbo Scorpion project - $100 to $10000 with pics

Post by Midnyte »

Love the look of it in the BLACK. This is like what I want to do. I would like to add some Metalic Blue in the form of Airbrushing. Just the front half of the scorp. Leave the ass end black. The rocker cover looks great polished. I will have to do that to mine.

Keep up the good work.

Midnyte's Chrysler GH Turbo Scorpion
Shifta

Re: Bocs GL Turbo Scorpion project - $100 to $10000 with pics

Post by Shifta »

Great car mate! Having had Sigma Turbo's and now recently a GSR, I have to say Pepperpots are my new favourite rim. They just seem to make any older Mitsi they are on look so much better :)
Boc

Re: Bocs GL Turbo Scorpion project - $100 to $10000 with pic

Post by Boc »

Just added a few Pics of the interior redone. Back on the road as of today. New clutch in then going to try and fit my EFI kit!!
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

Oh man! That's a bloody mint scorp you've built mate!! Might have to see it in person one day? (I'm in south bris :P ).

I'm polishing my rocker cover as we speak... And I came across you're one, looked down at mine.. And now I'm not happy with mine :P lol
N/A ALL THE WAY
bruggz351

Post by bruggz351 »

Geez. Pearler of a job bloke. Well done.
'82 GJ GSR Silver (family heirloom):)
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

Yep, yep, yes, yes and yes! Good to see you took the hands on approach and did the mechanicals yourself. Interior retrim is really good and the outside is brilliant. Lots of members are hitting the like button! Good stuff Boc! (H)
Boc

Post by Boc »

75glnt wrote:Oh man! That's a bloody mint scorp you've built mate!! Might have to see it in person one day? (I'm in south bris :P ).

I'm polishing my rocker cover as we speak... And I came across you're one, looked down at mine.. And now I'm not happy with mine :P lol
Great to see you were inspired to polish! As i couldn't use this one and my mate no longer works for a polishing mob I'm back to the standard black... you may have just inspired me to get back on the horse and get mine done again! Makes a world of difference :)
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

Haha! Inspiration is always good :)

So is she registered? Or still in the process?
N/A ALL THE WAY
Boc

Post by Boc »

Late reply.... :z
Yeah she is well and truly on the road... went and got a mod plate and went the legal option as i heard they were changing some of the rules regarding turbos... (H)